Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    Word of advice to Michigan: Attract businesses, create an economy that won't turn its back on you when the incentives dry up. Certainly it created new jobs, and helped local business....but in a way that was inconsistent. I can't imagine anyone thinking they'd stick around forever, and some of the big promises of studios and production offices had never been fulfilled.

It's difficult for me to say this, considering I have friends here in Illinois and Michigan involved in talent and scouting for films, and I know their jobs are heavily reliant on the state's ability to attract filmakers. Yet they've been looking for better, higher paying jobs all along which tells me they knew this would be short lived.

Yes, the freelance aspect is a fact of life that you need to keep in perspective when you work in this business. I belong to two unions, and that is a costly thing in itself but then a lot of folks in freelance work situations need to get their own coverage plans etc... So I keep my head above water by working on commercials and outside of film as well. The workweeks are longer on big pictures when you are on pre-production so if you work 4 or 5 months, it is worth the wait between jobs.

I think one of the things that people are tending to forget is that this industry is a transient business. We're gypsies that move from one job to the next and rather quickly. Once the production is done, we pack up our wares and proceed onto the next one. If we're somewhat successful at what we do- we keep moving and earning a steady paycheck.

It's not the prototypical business/ manufacturing model that Michigan is used to. I think the days of having a major industry settling in the area and hiring a fair amount of its local population for a 40+ hour work week for infinite years are gone. Having those companies foot their work force's pension has seemingly also become an albatross around their necks as well.

The movie business is based upon a movie being produced in a relatively short period of time. Think about all of the workers in California who are in this business; they constantly move about. Productions that have run their course often disband their entire crews only to have them all re-connect at another gig. It happens in movies, game shows, animation, video games, and TV commercials. It's a very transient lifestyle and for the ones that hustle, a fair amount of money can be made.

And with that money made, a trickle down happens. That temporary employee now has a few extra bucks in their pockets; and they're going to spend it on a dinner, and now some waitress has a few extra bucks, and she'll spend it somewhere, etc., etc... The constant here is that the people are making money and spending it and at every stage of that spending- taxes are being levied and going back to the State. Call it my simplified economics but I don't see the government making any money if people are constantly hanging onto it and not spending any of their hard earned dough.

I think people have to understand that the movie industry is just a bit of diversification for Michigan. It's not a cure-all by any means. The ripple effect of people spending money here in our state is a good thing. And given three years, I don't see how this industry has been given enough time to gain any traction. It was a Republican sponsored bill [[that Democrats agreed to as well) three years ago and now the new Governor wants to kill it before it's been given a chance to take a firm foot hold.

I don't see a problem with whittling it down gradually and over a span of years but capping it is pretty much a death sentence for the Film Incentive.

I haven't held down one of those "full time jobs" in 20+ years but I've been nimble enough to go from one job to another over the years where I afforded tuition in college, traveled extensively, bought [[and sold) several cars, spent money in our region, bought and paid for my house, and will continue to do so. I hope to stay in this region and reap some of the rewards of having a new industry take hold here. I sincerely hope the government doesn't come nix what has had great momentum and given some of us locals a chance to work and have pride in the area again.

Speaking from someone who has seen many friends in the acting and music business lose work from this decision, it really sucks.

Many are temporary jobs, but for a freelance artist, every job is a temporary job, and they're good to get, especially in a local economy that has been particularly brutal.

One nice benefit from having companies that hire good local artists, is that Detroit amplifies its music, art, acting, design, modeling scenes, bringing better talent and retaining the great artists we have in this city. Speaking as a musician, keeping the scene strong means having better club and concert bands to be inspired by, quality musicians for your weddings and parties, a thriving recording industry, and overall respect from the rest of the world. Detroit music carries a lot of weight.

Many of us take for granted, having a musical historical phenomena like Motown, but it resulted from many artists brought here by an incentive. Motown obviously was not generated from a movie industry, but when there is an economic incentive to bring artists together, magical things can happen. This seemingly small byproduct could have been a catalyst to something exciting.

It may seem small in the big scheme of things, and there are a lot of what-ifs and rainbows, but this was a great opportunity lost.

Smogboy made some good points too. So should we be putting SO MUCH into such a transient type of workforce? I don't think so.

You know, if deals were cut to use the Detroit Symphony to record a soundtrack on a major picture, that could help the DSA's finances in a big way. Where the honey is; the bees gravitate. There are plenty of serious industries that would not exist if it werent for the continuous propping-up by governments. The aerospace industry is a prime example, never mind the other military related stuff that gouges a huge part of national budgets. The point again is to introduce another card in Detroit's hand so it can compete in arts related industries especially as relates to technology, in which it excels. Michigan has a small debt compared to other states. It can afford to invest in this industry.

Quote Originally Posted by adamjab19 View Post
    Smogboy made some good points too. So should we be putting SO MUCH into such a transient type of workforce? I don't think so.
    I'm going to try to take myself out of the equation and look at it as objectively as I can.

I think the workforce in this industry is stable because they do literally hop from one job to the next. It's a relatively skilled workforce too- it's not just factory/ menial labor that can be replaced easily. Just because this work force is not 40+ hours a week for 51 weeks of the year for ONE particular firm doesn't mean that they're not gainfully employed and paying taxes.

I'd much rather have a nimble and agile workforce that can move around and adapt to the job market. What's crippled this area has been a work force that once it gets laid off can't find work anymore.

Another movie starring Robert Downey Jr. not filming here.

No 'Iron Man 3' for Michigan

The Hollywood studio had sought between $20 million to $30 million in incentives to film in Michigan, but the Michigan Film Office initially offered just $13 million, causing Marvel to launch talks with other states, said Senate Majority Leader Randy Richardville, R-Monroe.
    The Michigan Film Office upped its offer to $20 million, matching North Carolina, according to Richardville, who tried to attract the movie to the state. But he said Marvel chose to film in North Carolina because it guaranteed the money whereas Michigan's deal was contingent on future legislative approval.
    The third installment of the "Iron Man" franchise, starring Robert Downey Jr. as comic book hero Tony Stark, is scheduled for release in May 2013. It would have been a boon to Raleigh Michigan Studios, the $80-million Pontiac moviemaking facility that opened in the spring. It is trying to attract other productions for its seven sound stages that are currently being used by the $105-million Disney prequel "Oz: The Great and Powerful."
    Marvel Studios "was strongly considering us," said Anthony Wenson, director of studio operations for Raleigh Michigan. He said "Iron Man 3" would have used the studio's sound stages, but also planned to film scenes in other parts of metro Detroit.
    Marvel did not return requests seeking comment, but Richardville estimated that "Iron Man 3" could have generated $60 million in direct spending in the state. Marvel spent an estimated $200 million on last year's "Iron Man 2," which was mostly filmed in southern California, according to IMDb.com.
    Republicans Now Crying Over the Film Industry Milk They Spilled

WWJ Lansing Bureau Chief Tim Skubick reported that Richardville, a Republican, is complaining that the Snyder administration, through the Michigan Economic Development Corporation, mishandled negotiations and, as a result, two major contracts were lost.

“I have a bill that kind of defines new parameters for film credits,” said Richardville. “We negotiated, the administration did, far below those parameters, and we lost it. So, it’s a disappointment to say the least.”
    Last edited by Brock7; September-27-11 at 08:15 AM.

That is what we need to RECALL Gov. Rick Synder, the geek!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3