Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

If it's the final phase, then yes.

I've been driving past Cobo and so far not much of the exterior has been touched yet. It looks like the inside of the Arena is pretty much cleared out and ready for the final phase. I wonder if they'll finish by the time the Auto Show comes around or how they'll work around that.

bartock Guest

Can someone tell me what might be going on here? Workers have been on the roof for months now working on these boxes, but they began "capping" them in the white you see over the past couple of weeks. I've been curious as to what these "caps" are...whether part of the aesthetic or something more. Name:  COBO11222011.jpg
Views: 1620
Size:  26.1 KB

As the thread says...MAJOR RENOVATIONS ARE HAPPENING AT COBO.

THAT MEANS THE ENTIRE BUILDING IS BEING RENOVATED.

IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS LIKE THAT CALL THE COBO AUTHORITY AND VISIT THEIR YOUTUBE PAGE FOR AN UPDATE ON CONSTRUCTION.L

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by HistoryNotHisStory View Post

IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS LIKE THAT CALL THE COBO AUTHORITY AND VISIT THEIR YOUTUBE PAGE FOR AN UPDATE ON CONSTRUCTION.L

Ooooooohhhh.....Internet YELLING. Someone must be having a bad day.

What an asshole response to an honest question. Am I the first person to post a picture and ask for input? Little easier than calling the COBO authority and speaking to someone who I am sure will have no idea what the fuck I'm asking or talking about.

For people who have rational thoughts, I am aware that there are renovations going on at COBO, have been looking at the above over the past month and have been curious as to what those of you who are professionally inclined in such a way would say might be specifically being done with respect to those boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by HistoryNotHisStory View Post

Geez man, did your company not get the bid for that work? I often wish that we could "flag" posts a la Craigslist...

It has to do with making the roof more reflective. I'm not sure if that's exactly what they're doing, but it's my best guess. In your picture, towards the river side of Cobo, it looks like they have some stuff already applied. Basically, it'll reflect more heat away from the building while also keeping it more insulated. The more surface area it's applied to, the more effective it'll be. So to get the maximum effect, they're capping the HVAC boxes before they coat the roof around them, I'm guessing.

Basically, making COBO more energy efficient.

And...WWJ news story about the upcoming auto show.

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/video?au...clipId=6522973

Thanks for the clips Animatedmartian.... I had always been a proponent to make Cobo Arena a part of the expansion, glad it's going to be one of the most exciting parts. Although they're gutting the arena, and brings adaptive reuse to a whole new dimension, it takes advantage of the existing framework, rather than the usual rip it down and start over mentality that is so costly for everything we seem to do in Detroit...

The Cobo Arena was the home of Detroit Pistons and several Michigan State Basketball Division Conferences and several Broadway like shows. I used to go there to see Sesame Street Live for my class field back in early to mid 1980s. The Old plaster ceiling and the primitive circular recess lighting and old bucket seats are long gone. Being transformed into a 21st Century "Logan's Run" like cityscape.

http://www.freep.com/article/2011121...text|FRONTPAGE

To the casual visitor to next month's North American International AutoShow, visual evidence of the $300-million remake now under way at host facility Cobo Center may be in short supply.

That's because most of the work so far has been of the back-of-the-house variety -- extending loading docks, upgrading electrical and temperature control systems, and the like.
    Larry Alexander, chairman of the Detroit Regional Convention Facility Authority, said auto show visitors should notice the construction work "not at all."

"We've done a very good job of separating the work that they've done from where the customer activities are," Alexander said Tuesday. "It's almost come back to haunt us because we've got customers who've walked in who say they can't tell there's any work going on."

[...]

The biggest changes are yet to come. In perhaps the most dramatic, a new waterfront atrium entrance will be built off Atwater, a project that will begin immediately after next month's auto show closes. It will be ready for the January 2013 auto show.

[...]

I drove by Cobo earlier today and the whole bottom section of the arena has been gutted out. Taking pictures tomorrow if I can.

Quote Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
    I drove by Cobo earlier today and the whole bottom section of the arena has been gutted out. Taking pictures tomorrow if I can.
    Please do post a pic the previous pic was really informative.
    It was a great idea to transform the arean

This is good stuff! It is a great example of reuse for Detroit and will probably figure prominently in the revitalization of downtown along with all the rehab of hotels and towers. There will probably be a greater emphasis on the riverfront development now that this has set the stage for it.

Has there been any recent talk of redeveloping the old Pontch hotel across from Cobo? With the new Cobo it seems crazy this property is not being utlilized.

Last edited by animatedmartian; February-09-12 at 02:58 PM. Reason: added a few more pictures...sorry for the flare and blurriness

Excellant, thank you. You are a person of your word.
    It looks like all the seats are gone.
    This will add a lot of space

What effect will this have on Windsor's planned aquatic complex that's due to start construction next month?

Quote Originally Posted by hortonz View Post
    What effect will this have on Windsor's planned aquatic complex that's due to start construction next month?
    I don't see the correlation, please elaborate?

Quote Originally Posted by Pcm View Post
    I don't see the correlation, please elaborate?
    I think they are building a tunnel in the river connecting the two facilities, but it will only be for fish

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    I think they are building a tunnel in the river connecting the two facilities, but it will only be for fish

Say what?!?!! What would be the point of that? I'm not trying to be an ass, but that seems like insanity.

I dunno bout no underground tunnel for fisheys but the building looks pretty damn cool. [[Windsorites don't seem too happy about the price tag though)

http://www.windsorstar.com/news/Aquatic+redesign+costs+Windsor/6074161/story.html

It's also going to built a little ways away of the waterfront, so whatever tunnel for fish they'd be building definitely would be insane.

G
    oogle Maps [[with humorous parking lot writings included)
    Last edited by animatedmartian; February-11-12 at 02:26 AM.

What I meant to say is will the Cobo renovations have any effect on Windsor's plans to market the aquatic center to out of town visitors and vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by hortonz View Post
    What I meant to say is will the Cobo renovations have any effect on Windsor's plans to market the aquatic center to out of town visitors and vice versa.
    Not unless they are planning on putting a wave pool inside Cobo Arena?

The undergroubnd tunnel was a tongue & cheek response to Horton
    hehe gotcha

I may be alone here, but does anyone else dislike the overhanging Cobo ballrooms [[over Atwater)? The current renovations are an opportunity to replace them and open up that space to a "pedestrian friendly" gateway to the river-walk. One option would be to double deck Cobo on the river side of the parking lot [[assuming footings could withstand this). Anyway, just musing about what I see as a lost opportunity with the planned re-design.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast