Hybrid View

Default List of Metro Detroit Chrysler Dealerships that are set to close

In metro Detroit, the following dealers are on the list:

Birmingham Chrysler Plymouth, Inc., located at 2100 W. Maple Road in Troy
    Bruce Campbell Dodge Inc., located at 14875 Telegraph in Redford
    Clarkston Motors Inc., located at 8105 Big Lake Road in Clarkston
    Colonial Dodge Inc., located at 24211 Gratiot Ave. in Eastpointe
    Fox Hills Chrysler Jeep, Inc., located at 111 W. Ann Arbor Road in Plymouth
    George Ordus Ford Mercury Inc., located at 123 South Port Crescent in Bad Axe
    Century Dodge, located at 13500 Telegraph Road in Taylor
    Joe Ricci, located at 14765 Michigan Ave. in Dearborn
    Livonia Chrysler Jeep, located at 30777 Plymouth Road in Livonia
    Meadowbrook Dodge, located at 3050 South Rochester Road in Rochester Hills
    Monicatti Motors Inc., located at 40755 Van Dyke Ave. in Sterling Heights
    Mount Clemens Dodge, located at 43774 North Gratiot Ave. in Clinton Township
    Russo Group Enterprises Inc., located at 18165 Mack Ave. in Detroit.
    Tamaroff Dodge Inc., located at 24625 W 12 Mile Road in Southfield
    UAG Hudson CJD, located at 2555 Telegraph Road in Bloomfield Hills
    Village Chrysler Jeep, located at 31200 Woodward Ave. in Royal Oak

Sorry to all of those effected.

Here in Las Vegas [[four dealerships closing), Chrysler-Jeep dealer Jim Marsh just recently opened a new Kia dealership and advertised heavily on TV.

He's one of the four being shut down. No doubt he saw it coming.

...which is funny, because more people have access to a car than ever before in our history. I wonder what the sustainable world-wide sales level will end up being. Even a well kept car doesn't last forever; you need to replace it [[or abandon driving).

The only dealership on that list that really surprises me is Birmingham Chrysler-Jeep [[which is actually in the Troy Motor Mall). I believe that is a rather large dealership, although they didn't have Dodge.

Most of the dealerships didn't have all 3 Chrysler brands and/or were in very close proximity to much larger dealerships.

There had been an overabundance of Chrysler dealerships in the area to support all of the employee sales, and the overabundance of cheap leased vehicles over the past several years.

I'm really sorry to see Bruce Campbell Dodge go. That's where I'd take my car to get it serviced, they knew the car and they knew me. The people there are so friendly and so helpful. Now where will I go to get that same service????

Quote Originally Posted by professorscott View Post
    ...which is funny, because more people have access to a car than ever before in our history. I wonder what the sustainable world-wide sales level will end up being. Even a well kept car doesn't last forever; you need to replace it [[or abandon driving).
    One of the benefits of Japanese then worldwide competition was that it made American car manufacturing change their estimates of Planned obsolescence of their vehicles. Eventually, doing that would hurt the dealers in terms of sales. The auto dealership industry finally had to address falling vehicle sales due to foreign competition and better quality of vehicles in general.

OK, let's try it this way. I'm going to use a couple of Chevrolet dealers, but it's a good example of the problem.

Omak, WA is the largest city in Okanogan County, with a population of about 4,700 people in a county of about 40,000. It has a Ford/Mercury/Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep dealer, and a Chevrolet/Buick/Pontiac dealer. That should about cover the county, right? So why, for pity sake, 24 miles up the road is there another Chevrolet dealership in Tonasket, WA, population about 1,000. Who is OK Chevrolet in Tonasket competing against? Not Damskov Ford/Dodge/Jeep, but Sunrise Chevrolet.Buick in Omak, thus making the Omak dealer weaker. One of GM, Chrysler and Ford's problems are their dealers are stealing customers from themselves, not from other competing dealers.

Retroit Guest

douglasm, that makes sense [[and I agree), but it doesn't jive with people's perceptions with regards to other retailers. For example, you will see the same fast food chains and the same gas stations every few miles. If they are able to all have enough customers, people think that car dealers should be the same. But they are not taking into account the low sales volume of a car dealer vis-a-vis other retailers.

I think that GM and Chrysler should offer the dealers the chance to stay in business if they are able & willing to cover the cost of all those things that the automakers are claiming that they must bear.

As to why there are so many dealers so close: remember way back when, cars required a lot more service than they do today. One of the selling points was that if you bought a certain brand of car, you would have a dealer nearby to get service.

Quote Originally Posted by douglasm View Post
    OK, let's try it this way. I'm going to use a couple of Chevrolet dealers, but it's a good example of the problem.

Omak, WA is the largest city in Okanogan County, with a population of about 4,700 people in a county of about 40,000. It has a Ford/Mercury/Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep dealer, and a Chevrolet/Buick/Pontiac dealer. That should about cover the county, right? So why, for pity sake, 24 miles up the road is there another Chevrolet dealership in Tonasket, WA, population about 1,000. Who is OK Chevrolet in Tonasket competing against? Not Damskov Ford/Dodge/Jeep, but Sunrise Chevrolet.Buick in Omak, thus making the Omak dealer weaker. One of GM, Chrysler and Ford's problems are their dealers are stealing customers from themselves, not from other competing dealers.
    It don't have to be that way, indeed those dealers are stabbing each others.
    But its STIL win win win for the manufacturer.
    Why?-
    Say there are 3 Chrysler dealers near each others. A car shopper interested in a Chrysler stops at the dealers, then chooses from one of them. Now if those dealers targeted Ford or Chevy shoppers, the odds are less that they will close a deal. After all, those shoppers were not originally looking for a Chrysler product.
    So Chrysler DOES come out ahead- the Chrysler shopper finds a deal/ dealer and buys a Chrysler anyways, since there was more than 1 dealer to choose from.
    Now personal experience, though it goes back 30 years. My grandfather owned a Ford dealer in a small midwest town pop. 1,000.Had been in the family 62 years, assigned personally by Henry Ford. In a 2 county area, population 20,000 there were 5 Ford dealers. My cousin and I were being trained to take over that dealership. BTW we did not/ could not steal customers from the other towns. In a small town, you better run a reputable business, of any kind- and we all did.
    Our place was paid for, and turned a profit, and we had 12 employees.
    Ford wiped us and 2 other dealers out within a year. The zone rep tried to get us all to merge, and build a new facility 'on the highway', not in a downtown.
    At that time, we had about 75% of the car market in our town. Grandfather refused to back us with the buyouts and new building[[don't blame him). To keep the jobs after we lost the Ford sign, he put up a Dodge sign. 1979- what does that tell you about what we had to sell? Within a year we bailed- in a small town you can't sell junk like those late 70's Dodges.
    Forward 30 years. Small farm towns, ya gotta love em'- very few Toyotas or Hondas. But also very few Ford's. There is a Chevy Dealer surviving in that area, and he sells alot of cars. All 5 Ford dealers are gone. Those of us that won all the sales and service awards were dispensible.