Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    lilpup Guest

Detroit is waking up and shaking off a serious hangover from a deep, long binge that's included a few bad fights and is now looking toward recovery.

Any good therapist or recovery program will tell you comparisons are for self-haters. Identify strengths and leverage them while working to improve on the weaknesses. Ties to haters and enablers need to be severed and self-forgiveness for past sins is eventually part of the program.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Serious question: Who gives a fuck what Glen Beck thinks of Detroit?
    The mayor and the city council, apparently. There's also this guy, Rev. Charles Willliams II, "a community activist," who is challenging Glenn Beck to a debate about Detroit.

The people in charge get way too hot and bothered whenever somebody knocks Detroit.

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fryar View Post
    The mayor and the city council, apparently. There's also this guy, Rev. Charles Willliams II, "a community activist," who is challenging Glenn Beck to a debate about Detroit.

The people in charge get way too hot and bothered whenever somebody knocks Detroit.
    oh, I don't know about that - PR and rebuffing such knocks is part of their job, too - they can't just roll over and seem to not care

NorthEndere Guest

It actually took Bing a day to come up with a comment after being shown this on Monday. He wasn't exactly in a rush, and most of the council didn't give him much the time of day. But, like you said, this is part of their job. Mayors and such the world over release formal refutations of bad things said about their cities, states, and nations, and it usually comes with the request that the offender spend a day in their town/state/country. Meh. Who cares?

If anyone thinks Bing put anymore energy into this than telling his spokesperson to write up a response, they are crazy. Bing, more than any other recent mayor, isn't exactly the most vocal cheerleader or apologist for his city; in fact, he's been criticized for not caring enough of what is said about the city. Detroit's been the butt of jokes and salacious commentary for at least a good 30 years now. Hell, the mayor's office probably has a pre-written text for moments like these. lol
    Last edited by NorthEndere; March-02-11 at 04:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    oh, I don't know about that - PR and rebuffing such knocks is part of their job, too - they can't just roll over and seem to not care
    They can ignore it and realize that they have bigger fish to fry.

The idea of responding to someone like Beck seems ridiculous. You respond to Beck and there will be 20 others taking shots and waiting for the free pub.

It's time for Detroit to grow up and stop acting like an insecure teenager.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    And maybe if he'd take the time to get his facts straight it would help. He berates Ford for taking a bailout and forgets that GW Bush made the first bailout payment, not Obama
    That line speaks volumes about Beck's ignorance and lack of understanding, why do cons always seem to ignore facts? Ford took no money and GM and Chrysler accepted loans, not a bailout. Besides, as was stated by someone earlier, Hiroshima is a beautiful city thanks to U.S. tax dollars and strong union leadership.

Quote Originally Posted by fryar View Post

Which should give us all pause...

I'm all for image awareness but seriously... Glen Beck? This is a guy who himself has an extremely high negative public perception. And he has a viewership that is pretty fringe. Having him talk shit about Detroit is probably a net plus for the city.

He is not NBC News swooping in to do a Dateline story during November sweeps. Frankly, the way Detroit goes bat shit crazy every time someone doesn't "say nice things about Detroit" kinda reeks of the lady protesting too much. And people who aren't from Metro Detroit can pick up on that.......

....being familiar wtih Beck's schtick, i'm not as outraged as some are, but there does need to be a counterpoint..
    I will be writing him and his fox colleagues a long letter, hardcopy and email..

Glen Beck is a silly goof-off consevative/origarchical rathink who gets its NON-SEQUITUR sources from bloggers. He is not a real journalist but a guy who promotes Republican propaganda to the masses through his circus show. The Detroit vs. Hiroshima bashing report he did is rediculous! Beck doesn't know jack about what's going on Detroit. If he could come to Detroit, I and my Street Prophets will show all of our the city's wonders. This report is his way fo attacking the unions and the democratic party and liberals so the Republican and the origarchy can control all the politics in the United States and strip the American Dream from the proletariats. I urge all liberals and unions to fight back against conservatism and plutocrats.

WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHET

While the Fourth Estate runs on televsion.

Neda, I miss you so.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Which should give us all pause...

I'm all for image awareness but seriously... Glen Beck? This is a guy who himself has an extremely high negative public perception. And he has a viewership that is pretty fringe. Having him talk shit about Detroit is probably a net plus for the city.

He is not NBC News swooping in to do a Dateline story during November sweeps. Frankly, the way Detroit goes bat shit crazy every time someone doesn't "say nice things about Detroit" kinda reeks of the lady protesting too much. And people who aren't from Metro Detroit can pick up on that.......
    I agree, but you have to admit, the only real bad response was from the reverend. Bing just pointed out that Beck had probably never set foot here, and Cockrel just pointed out that Beck was an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by j to the jeremy View Post
    I agree, but you have to admit, the only real bad response was from the reverend. Bing just pointed out that Beck had probably never set foot here, and Cockrel just pointed out that Beck was an idiot.
    Can you clarify the context of when he made the remarks? Did he release a statement specifically for this? Call a press conference?

Both major Detroit based dailies also ran prominently displayed articles about it [[I'm not sure how the articles were placed on the printed versions, but on the web sites the Glen Beck story got top billing). And one of those dailies even carried the story into a second day with an opinion piece by the editor. I really don't understand the point of them obsessing over what Glen Beck said about Detroit for one day, let alone two. Maybe that editor could respond and shed some light on his paper's decision to keep this story alive since he follows this forum. I'm genuinely curious.

Quote Originally Posted by maxx View Post
    If Beck has lost half his audience, who does that half listen to now?
    Charlie Sheen?

Whatever anyone does, please don't bring Glen Beck here!! Keep him as far away as possible. Well, now that I think about it, maybe it could be a good thing - maybe someone would kick his a** and knock some sense into him. I know, that last part probably isn't possible. Anybody ever read one of his novels? I can't even imagine what those are all about. He probably has a ghost-writer anyway.

Absolutely! I think it would be a great idea to bring Mr. Beck here. I would love to take him around town and introduce him to some real Detroit-style hospitality.

I think he should hold one of those super neat-o Tea Bagger rallies at Hart Plaza. It sure would be one Hell of a hootenanny!

Beck is not the originator of the Hiroshima-Detroit comparison. For a couple of years an email has been circulating around the internet comparing Hiroshima to Detroit. It starts with a couple of pics of Hiroshima taken right after the bomb was dropped, and shows the city totally decimated. Then there are a dozen pics of the city today, depicting a large, prosperous, vibrant city as it allegedly exists today. Finally, there are couple of shots of typical Detroit ruins. There's some text but I don't recall what it says.

Beck, and others, contrast the two cities in their present conditions as an illustration of their political points. Beck points out that billions of dollars of federal money has flowed into Detroit since the Johnson Great Society days, and the results are nil. He claims that the same progressive policies which have failed miserably are still in full force and effect by a liberal, progressive congress and the country will end up as Detroit has. A huge number of people - including the freshmen congressmen who were swept into office last November - agree.

Detroit is a dysfunctional city and in the view of many there is no scenario by which it will ever gain the respect it has experienced in the past. It will take more than a clever commercial. I don't know why Detroit has ended up as it has, but I am sure there are many causes. There is a real perception, for instance, that if Kwami Kilpatrick were to run for mayor tomorrow, he would win. That's a reflection of how many perceive the citizens of Detroit. Not very flattering.

People tend to attack the messenger, in this case, Beck, when they should be paying attention to the message.

Quote Originally Posted by 3WC View Post
    People tend to attack the messenger, in this case, Beck, when they should be paying attention to the message.
    It's kind of hard to listen to a message that is a repeat of an Internet chain mail hoax. If Beck were anything but an entertainer, he would actually take the time to check his facts. There is so much inaccurate information that anyone with half a brain will automatically discount it.

If progressive policies are to blame for Detroit's failures, then they must also be given credit for cities such as Chicago, Seattle, Portland, and San Francisco's success'. Of coarse to recognize that, it would destroy the Beckster's argument. Combine that with the lie that Japan was rebuilt by private companies, and you sound like a radical loony with no grasp on reality.

Detroit has problems, everybody knows that. There are many factors that contributed to the current state, white flight, Realtors block-busting practices, suburban poaching of the business community, the oil crisis of the 70's, and corrupt politicians. To say all our problems are the result of progressive policies and labor unions is to bury your head in the sand.

Quote Originally Posted by 3WC View Post
    Beck is not the originator of the Hiroshima-Detroit comparison. For a couple of years an email has been circulating around the internet comparing Hiroshima to Detroit. It starts with a couple of pics of Hiroshima taken right after the bomb was dropped, and shows the city totally decimated. Then there are a dozen pics of the city today, depicting a large, prosperous, vibrant city as it allegedly exists today. Finally, there are couple of shots of typical Detroit ruins. There's some text but I don't recall what it says.

Beck, and others, contrast the two cities in their present conditions as an illustration of their political points. Beck points out that billions of dollars of federal money has flowed into Detroit since the Johnson Great Society days, and the results are nil. He claims that the same progressive policies which have failed miserably are still in full force and effect by a liberal, progressive congress and the country will end up as Detroit has. A huge number of people - including the freshmen congressmen who were swept into office last November - agree.

Detroit is a dysfunctional city and in the view of many there is no scenario by which it will ever gain the respect it has experienced in the past. It will take more than a clever commercial. I don't know why Detroit has ended up as it has, but I am sure there are many causes. There is a real perception, for instance, that if Kwami Kilpatrick were to run for mayor tomorrow, he would win. That's a reflection of how many perceive the citizens of Detroit. Not very flattering.

3WC,

Your closing statement is a perfect example of the ignorant anti-Detroit hypocrisy promoted by Glen Beck, and supported by millions of equally ignorant Americans.

You point out that "there is a real perception, for instance, that if Kwami [[sic)Kilpatrick were to run for mayor tomorrow, he would win. That's a reflection of how many perceive the citizens of Detroit. Not very flattering."

That perception is very real and widely accepted, but it is simply incorrect, and has no supporting factual basis. When the Synagro scandal was exposed, the Detroit City Council voted for the forcible removal of Kwame Kilpatrick. In the following election cycle, Detroit voters overwhelmingly voted against Monica Conyers, who had also been implicated in the same corruption scandal. In the same election, Detroiters also voted Kilpatrick's mother, Carolyn Cheeks Kilpatrick, out of office JUST BECAUSE SHE WAS KWAME'S MOTHER.

Carolyn Cheeks Kilpatrick was elected to the U.S. House in 1996, and was re-elected six times, winning MORE THAN 80% OF THE POPULAR VOTE IN EVERY RE-ELECTION!

Carolyn Cheeks Kilpatrick has never been accused of any wrongdoing or complicity in the Kwame corruption scandal, but she went from an invincible incumbent to an unelectable candidate just because she was related to Kwame Kilpatrick.

Any person who asserts that Kwame Kilpatrick would be re-elected by Detroit voters is either completely ignorant of the facts, or they are deliberately promoting lies to further their anti-Detroit agenda.

This is not a case of people ignoring the message and attacking the messenger.

If Monica Conyers and Carolyn Cheeks Kilpatrick had been re-elected, these accusations would have some merit. However, they were not re-elected, so the anti-Detroit perception of a city full of voters who support corrupt politicians is factually incorrect.

Beck didn't need to tell me parts of Detroit look like a warzone, or that certain policies have failed , or that Unions can be corrupt as those who run our political machine.
    Mainly I'd tell him to piss on someone elses tree.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3