Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Serious question: Who gives a fuck what Glen Beck thinks of Detroit?

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Certainly not me. He's not relevant in my life, just as Detroit really isn't relevant to the nation except when they need an example of something negative for whatever point is trying to be made.

Addendum: Who gives a fuck what Glen Beck thinks?

DetroitPole Guest

The subject matter isn't even worth addressing, because it has absolutely no merit. I guess what Hiroshima and Detroit objectively have in common is they are cities on the planet earth. Hell, if it suited his purpose, that fat asshole would draw some half-ass conclusion that Detroit was like, say, Vladivostok.

Here is the good news: most Americans are good, decent people. They are repulsed by extremism and the kind of hate speak that Beck and his ilk spew. Beck achieved his aim: by coming up with sensational nonsense, he got attention. Notice no one is really debating the merits of his argument, because there are virtually none. A more valid comparison would be Detroit to say, Pittsburgh, but that isn't sensational and stupid and wouldn't draw attention for that reason. However Americans grow weary of this vitriol. For example, Sarah Palin has become, while still irritating and unwilling to go away, like, say herpes, marginal in large part due to her own rage and stupidity. Americans were rightfully disgusted with her rhetoric after Tuscon.

However for these hypocritical "conservatives" who routinely scream about personal responsibility [[usually when it applies to minorities or just not to themselves) it is incredibly irresponsible to call these people "entertainers." That simply gives them a carte blanche to say whatever they want, even if it is without any basis in reality, and get away with it, while acting and looking like newscasters. I don't think they fit any kind of definition of "entertainer" that humanity has used thus far, either.

Anyway, as long as these people aren't condoning violence [[though sadly they often are), I say, have at it! What has he achieved from this besides alienating Metro Detroiters? Sure, maybe the 10%-20% of the fascist base that will accept his word as Gospel will eat it up, but they're a small percentage of the country. Nonsense like this, that jack-booted brownshirt in Wisconsin, Palin's unceasing idiocy, and the rest of their ilk will only send the moderates and the independents back into the Democratic camp in disgust. Come on, what can you conservatives come up with next?? Maybe Rush Limbaugh can deny the Holocaust! Propose a bill that ends Social Security! Reduce minimum wage to a dollar an hour! Keep it up guys; I look forward to 2012!

The mayor and the city council, apparently. There's also this guy, Rev. Charles Willliams II, "a community activist," who is challenging Glenn Beck to a debate about Detroit.

The people in charge get way too hot and bothered whenever somebody knocks Detroit.

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fryar View Post
    The mayor and the city council, apparently. There's also this guy, Rev. Charles Willliams II, "a community activist," who is challenging Glenn Beck to a debate about Detroit.

The people in charge get way too hot and bothered whenever somebody knocks Detroit.
    oh, I don't know about that - PR and rebuffing such knocks is part of their job, too - they can't just roll over and seem to not care

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    oh, I don't know about that - PR and rebuffing such knocks is part of their job, too - they can't just roll over and seem to not care
    They can ignore it and realize that they have bigger fish to fry.

The idea of responding to someone like Beck seems ridiculous. You respond to Beck and there will be 20 others taking shots and waiting for the free pub.

It's time for Detroit to grow up and stop acting like an insecure teenager.

Quote Originally Posted by fryar View Post

Which should give us all pause...

I'm all for image awareness but seriously... Glen Beck? This is a guy who himself has an extremely high negative public perception. And he has a viewership that is pretty fringe. Having him talk shit about Detroit is probably a net plus for the city.

He is not NBC News swooping in to do a Dateline story during November sweeps. Frankly, the way Detroit goes bat shit crazy every time someone doesn't "say nice things about Detroit" kinda reeks of the lady protesting too much. And people who aren't from Metro Detroit can pick up on that.......

....being familiar wtih Beck's schtick, i'm not as outraged as some are, but there does need to be a counterpoint..
    I will be writing him and his fox colleagues a long letter, hardcopy and email..

Which should give us all pause...

I'm all for image awareness but seriously... Glen Beck? This is a guy who himself has an extremely high negative public perception. And he has a viewership that is pretty fringe. Having him talk shit about Detroit is probably a net plus for the city.

He is not NBC News swooping in to do a Dateline story during November sweeps. Frankly, the way Detroit goes bat shit crazy every time someone doesn't "say nice things about Detroit" kinda reeks of the lady protesting too much. And people who aren't from Metro Detroit can pick up on that.......
    I agree, but you have to admit, the only real bad response was from the reverend. Bing just pointed out that Beck had probably never set foot here, and Cockrel just pointed out that Beck was an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by j to the jeremy View Post
    I agree, but you have to admit, the only real bad response was from the reverend. Bing just pointed out that Beck had probably never set foot here, and Cockrel just pointed out that Beck was an idiot.
    Can you clarify the context of when he made the remarks? Did he release a statement specifically for this? Call a press conference?

Both major Detroit based dailies also ran prominently displayed articles about it [[I'm not sure how the articles were placed on the printed versions, but on the web sites the Glen Beck story got top billing). And one of those dailies even carried the story into a second day with an opinion piece by the editor. I really don't understand the point of them obsessing over what Glen Beck said about Detroit for one day, let alone two. Maybe that editor could respond and shed some light on his paper's decision to keep this story alive since he follows this forum. I'm genuinely curious.