Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

But there is a nice ceremony performed first that ""de-commissions" the church.

GUSHI Guest

"de-commission" the artifacts, can they do that, is that allowed? The AOD didn't built the churches the parishoneers did, what happens to the cash from the selling of these churches, schools, buildings? If the church moves to a different city is that money used towards the new building? What if the church just closes and dosn't move who gets the money from the sale of real estate? I always wondered that, any knowledge would be app.

The AoD owns and always owned the churches and land the churches were built on. In most cases. Yes, parishioners contributed to build their buildings, but always understood that they were building in the spirit of the large enterprise which is the church of Detroit.

I have never heard that an article, once blessed, cannot be sold - but I concede that it seems unholy to sell something that was blessed. In churches, statues and pews are not "blessed" but the building and main altar are blessed in a ceremony dedicating them to God and his work. It is the church that can be "de-commissioned" [[as has happened for many centuries but not the right word. It escapes me).

Sale of churches & parish buildings returns the sale price [[such as it is) to the AoD. In the case of the city churches, most of them have borrowed millions from the other churches thru an internal bank [[with no hope of ever paying back) just to keep going and so when they give up, the sale price of the building never, ever pays the AoD bank back. Not a lot of market for huge ornate buildings with leaking roofs in the City of Detroit! They make good re-use as theaters but how many of those can Detroit use?

GUSHI Guest

Thanks, I was just curious, how that worked, I know Our Lady of Albanians moved from Beverly Hills to Southfield, when they purchased St. Ives from the AOD.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    The AoD owns and always owned the churches and land the churches were built on. In most cases. Yes, parishioners contributed to build their buildings, but always understood that they were building in the spirit of the large enterprise which is the church of Detroit.

I have never heard that an article, once blessed, cannot be sold - but I concede that it seems unholy to sell something that was blessed. In churches, statues and pews are not "blessed" but the building and main altar are blessed in a ceremony dedicating them to God and his work. It is the church that can be "de-commissioned" [[as has happened for many centuries but not the right word. It escapes me).

Sale of churches & parish buildings returns the sale price [[such as it is) to the AoD. In the case of the city churches, most of them have borrowed millions from the other churches thru an internal bank [[with no hope of ever paying back) just to keep going and so when they give up, the sale price of the building never, ever pays the AoD bank back. Not a lot of market for huge ornate buildings with leaking roofs in the City of Detroit! They make good re-use as theaters but how many of those can Detroit use?
    Not many do know this little fact. There is a way around this--the item could be given away and a donation could be made for the object.

Churches are consecrated...deconsecrated and returned to secular use. Locate a name of someone at the archdiocese who has some responsibilty in what it is you are looking for.

Someone was looking for church pews. Today, March 7, 2011, on Craigslist is an ad in the "Free" section for 13 pews for pickup in Farmington. There are two sizes available.

GUSHI Guest

Quote Originally Posted by redvetred View Post
    Someone was looking for church pews. Today, March 7, 2011, on Craigslist is an ad in the "Free" section for 13 pews for pickup in Farmington. There are two sizes available.
    Thanyou will check it out.

Maybe you can find an Ottoman while your there....

GUSHI Guest

lol , maybe
    Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Maybe you can find an Ottoman while your there....

Sorry Gushi.... couldn't help it...

Quote Originally Posted by rjk View Post
    Do you know when the school closed?

My grandmother moved out of the Mt Elliot and Miller area in 1985.
    She got mugged a few times whlie walking to a party store on ME and had to get out.
    I'll never forget the tears flowing down her face the day she left that area. She lived there from 1933 to 1985
    Those were some heart heavy tears that we all had to shed eventually, a sad ending that occured to just about every community in the city.

You can buy any type of Roman Catholic religous artifact you can imagine on ebay. Also try Craig's list.

GUSHI Guest

Thanks, But I would prefer one from a chuch in Detroit, just so I know the history of it, like which parish and so on.
    Quote Originally Posted by piczka View Post
    You can buy any type of Roman Catholic religous artifact you can imagine on ebay. Also try Craig's list.

GUSHI Guest

Rjk what was your grandma old address on Miller?
    Do you know when the school closed?

My grandmother moved out of the Mt Elliot and Miller area in 1985.
    She got mugged a few times whlie walking to a party store on ME and had to get out.
    I'll never forget the tears flowing down her face the day she left that area. She lived there from 1933 to 1985

Quote Originally Posted by GUSHI View Post
    Thanks, But I would prefer one from a chuch in Detroit, just so I know the history of it, like which parish and so on.
    Not to mention shipping rates..... Yikes!

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    In churches, statues and pews are not "blessed"
    Regarding the statues, I think it depends on the parish. I know at our parish we just received a beautiful statue of Our Lady of Guadalupe which our priest blessed last month.

My grandmother went to that church for around 50 years. My mom and dad were married there in the early 50's.

When were you an alter boy at resurrection? My grandmother was the short, round, Polish looking woman with a babushka. Maybe you remember her?

Hey, we're related, that was my grandmother.

As a young child, I attended Resurrection church and school in the early 50's, and took my first communion there. We lived on Dorothy st, right behind the church.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2