Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

gravitymachine Guest

black people like good schools and city services too

it means all my neighbors aren't white anymore..it make me happy

Default Blacks leaving Wayne County

Here's a link to the original article: Blacks leaving Wayne County.

I think it's a healthy development for Macomb County. Sorry for Wayne County's loss though.

This isn't news. African Americans have been on the move in metro Detroit since at least the beginning of the 20th century. This is a continuation of a trend that is over a century old.

People move to where they feel they have the best chance to prosper. As the living conditions in Detroit go from bleak to bleaker, its residents look for opportunities to relocate to areas that give them a better chance at a decent quality of life.

It would be news if the white community could deal with black migration better than we did over the last 100 years. I recall a story in the Free Press or News about a year ago about how the Reuther is becoming the "new" Eight Mile Road in Warren. In other words, the neighborhoods south of the Reuther are in "decline." I think we all know what constitutes a "decline" in metro Detroit.

So, will the cycle be unbroken? African American families move across Eight Mile because they want a better life. White residents migrate away from them north of the Reuther and take their wealth with them out of the community. Quality of life declines in neighborhoods that go "black" as resources drain north. The old stereotypes metastasize. Fear prevails and undermines the strength of our region.

I am concerned that most poeple in Macomb will read this story with fear rather than look at it as an opportunity to become a region whose strength is in diversity.

If you don't mind living in a place where the political and court systems are corrupt to the core, Macomb County is fine, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Fury13 View Post
    If you don't mind living in a place where the political and court systems are corrupt to the core, Macomb County is fine, I guess.

You aren't going to have a political system that doesn't have some form of corruption. No one has cornered the market on that. Hell, drunk driving is a felony, but, you've never seen L. Brooks brought up on charges, unless the should have been arresting officer charged him for the ride home. But, everything being relative, the level of corruption one might see in Macomb County after living in Detroit is miniscule.

Quote Originally Posted by kraig View Post
    You aren't going to have a political system that doesn't have some form of corruption. No one has cornered the market on that. Hell, drunk driving is a felony, but, you've never seen L. Brooks brought up on charges, unless the should have been arresting officer charged him for the ride home. But, everything being relative, the level of corruption one might see in Macomb County after living in Detroit is miniscule.
    If you have any trouble in Macomb County, get yourself a lawyer that's tied into the good-ol-boy network [[codespeak: Italian), pay off the judge, and you should be fine. Of course, if the other side has already bribed the judge or has an in with the prosecutor [[usually the case), you're screwed.

If you have any trouble in Macomb County, get yourself a lawyer that's tied into the good-ol-boy network [[codespeak: Italian), pay off the judge, and you should be fine. Of course, if the other side has already bribed the judge or has an in with the prosecutor [[usually the case), you're screwed.

LOL. That's funny. I'm not worried, I don't do anything that's going to be worse than a traffic ticket.

best county in the state...nightlife...youth.... LOL! I really must be missing out on something.

Outside of pockets of Mt. Clemens-- distant from Detroit and not easily called "urban" by most peoples' estimates-- is there anyplace objectively urban in Macomb? What is the draw that leads to to declare that it's a shining beacon for the future of our state?

Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
    best county in the state...nightlife...youth.... LOL! I really must be missing out on something.

Outside of pockets of Mt. Clemens-- distant from Detroit and not easily called "urban" by most peoples' estimates-- is there anyplace objectively urban in Macomb? What is the draw that leads to to declare that it's a shining beacon for the future of our state?

Who said anything about it being urban? The complaint in Oakland County for years is that there's nothing to do. In fact, the livest spots are Ferndale, Royal Oak and Birmingham. After those, where can you really hang out? I'm not asking to be critical, I'm sure there are those more familiar with Oakland County that can tell me. Don't get me wrong, I love Oakland and Wayne County too.

And the politics in Wayne County aren't corrupt?