Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Area Weather

April isn't called the cruelest month for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    On average it does [[3.3" per season).
    That's not the same as "always".

INSTALLING SPRING...
    ███████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ 44% DONE.
    Install delayed....please wait.
    Installation failed. Please try again. 404 error: Season not found. Season "Spring" cannot be located. The season you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable in Michigan. Please try again.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitTeacher View Post
    INSTALLING SPRING...
    ███████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ 44% DONE.
    Install delayed....please wait.
    Installation failed. Please try again. 404 error: Season not found. Season "Spring" cannot be located. The season you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable in Michigan. Please try again.
    That's a good one.

Thanks. I stole it and have no idea who might get the credit for it.

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    That's a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    It doesn't "always" snow any time of the year.

Really, what's your point other than to nitpick at semantics?

Heh, my brother posted that on FB with a comment that he had stolen it, as well... I snapped a screen shot of it and e-mailed it as a .jpg to my coworkers, who are usually a reasonably cheerful bunch but who today were to a person as dull and gray as the sky.

Got a couple of groans that were followed by a grin or two.

What's the big deal about snow in April?

It's consistent with our four seasons: June, July, August and Winter.

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Redleg81 View Post
    Not unheard of, but still rather late-- I guess all those summer bulbs my wife got for "us" to plant will have to wait just a little longer!
    My mom [[75 years of Michigan experience) never plants her annuals until Memorial Day because we've had killing frosts up until then.

Because it doesn't always snow in April.
    Thats true. I've been telling people every year for at least the last 15 years that it snows every april here in the metro area. There was one year I was wrong. So your right it doesnt always snow in april but i will continue telling people that because its not a big surprise when it does.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    No wonder no one wants to live here. Snow in April = sad. Snow during Holy Week in mid-late April = sacrilege.
    This isn't holy week.

It doesn't always snow in February, either.

My business is gardening and landscape. Not sure why my partner and I said lets not work on Monday. Good call!

This discusses April snowfalls beyond April 10th: http://www.crh.noaa.gov/news/display...=9964&source=0

I seem to remember an 8" snowfall in early April sometime in the late 80's or early 90s, but I can't find anything on it.

I guess it could have been '82, but I thought it was later than that.

Most of you should remember 2009, 2003 and 2005 though: http://www.crh.noaa.gov/dtx/display_...le=snowapr.htm
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Meddle; April-19-11 at 12:31 AM.

72 might be about right we got 3 ft of snow in April. I remember helping Dad shovel our street. Too tired to tell the whole story but do remember a neighbor being pissed off cause we didn,t do the whole street. I remember thinking [[ I was 8) what a turd. He contributed nothing but expected loads. It was kind of cool that the neighbors co ordinated that massive shoveling

School was canceled which almost never happened. Dad made it to work and was sent home.

BTW, since 1881, 125 of the 131 Aprils all had at least a trace of snow in Detroit, 97 of them had measurable snow and 56 of them had measurable snow of 1" or greater.

In the Aprils it didn't snow, two of them were in top 20 snowless seasons [[1998 and 1946, and 1998 was also a top 20 warmest) and four of the Aprils were in below average seasons [[1925, 1941, 1946, 1997). One was average [[1981) and one was above average [[1999), granted 1980-1981's snowfall was mostly front-end loaded [[less than a inch fell after February) and 1/2 or 2/3 of 1998-1999 fell in January, half of which came from the blizzard. In 1980-1981 January was below average and if you were to take away the Blizzard 1998-1999 would have been below average, as the months of February and December were.
    Last edited by 313WX; April-19-11 at 07:27 AM.

I'm mildly surprised that nobody's blamed Obama for the weather yet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2