Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

I believe it's called the trickle down effect.

Quote Originally Posted by daddeeo View Post
    I believe it's called the trickle down effect.
    LOL.... with the key word being "trickle"...

Neither Art Van nor any jewelry store is a 501c3 non- profit charity, set up to fulfill a worthy purpose like buying wigs for kids who have gone through chemo, or helping buy medical supplies for the needy. So your comparison here is way off. The money at stake here could be used to fulfill the charitable purpose. At a jewelry store, there is no purpose other than profit.

This story did not say anything done here was illegal. Clearly, it is not. It exposed how charities are losing out on, in some cases, almost every penny that the charitable public gives. Instead of helping the needy--as donors believe they are when they donate--they are helping a for profit company they've never heard of.

I think this teaches all of us to be a bit more aware of how we send in our donations.

Anchor Bar expresses my thoughts perfectly. Legal or not, it's a deceitful and unethical way of doing business. In my opinion the charity itself is a front for ACS. I understand that you often have to "spend money to make money", but this is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal View Post
    Anchor Bar expresses my thoughts perfectly. Legal or not, it's a deceitful and unethical way of doing business. In my opinion the charity itself is a front for ACS. I understand that you often have to "spend money to make money", but this is ridiculous.
    Yup. I would like to see a law passed that forces companies like these to state the exact amount that will actually go to the charity.

"Mr. Smith, before you make your donation I would like to let you know that $16 will go to my company, and $4 will go to the American Red Cross. Are you still interested in making this donation?"