Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by French777 View Post
    I currently am attending Wayne State University and live here on campus. First off, I came from a upper-middle class suburb of Detroit and when I was a child we were taught almost to "fear" Detroit. I have lived here for less than 6 months and I LOVE IT!

I go on walks around Midtown everyday at different hours of the day too. Anything from 6am- 10pm and I have never run into anything remotely worrisome. When I say "Midtown" I do not include the "Cass Park" neighborhood.

Wayne State University has a very safe campus. I don't think I can walk for more than 10 or 15 minutes without seeing a WSU / City of Detroit police cruiser. There are 4 police departments represented in Midtown [[ DMC, CCS, WSU and City of Detroit). It seems so far as a very safe place to live,work and play.

Yet..... I do hear that car thefts are still an issue that needs to be adressed. I would reccomend that you put your car in a parking garage rather than on the street at night if avaliable.
    +1 to growing up in a suburb of Detroit and almost being taught to fear Detroit. I grew up in a similar situation. Now I live here too.

Kelsey,
    Happy to hear you are interested in Wayne State. Though I don't live in Detroit, I've spent many years in the city, exploring all parts of it. Hopefully you'll find my feedback helpful

Quote Originally Posted by kelseystatic View Post
    1. How safe are the areas around the college?
    For the most part it's pretty safe. You'll find a few questionable spots as you move further southwest of campus, but it's best to use your gut instinct. You'll find areas around WSU pretty busy, and there isn't a whole lot of abandonment. But if you do come across an abandoned block with a bunch of people hanging out for no reason, avoid it.

2. Is it really as bad as people say? I know, every big city has its bad parts, but people say in Detroit you should expect to be robbed at gunpoint or the like. Is this true? As a white, brown-haired young female is it really likely that I will be victimized or hit by a stray bullet?
    It's not as bad as people say, but you never know. You can be the victim of a crime anywhere. But of all the people I know who visit or live in Detroit, I haven't heard any horrible stories. The worst I've ever heard is of a house being broken into or a window smashed on their car. But most of that can be avoided if you think smart and secure your property.

3. People say there are entire areas you should avoid. What is it that makes these areas so dangerous and how big are these "Areas to avoid"?
    Areas to avoid are places you wouldn't have any reason to visit. When you research more of Detroit, you'll learn of some destination spots with places to eat and shop. Stick with that, avoid the places people don't talk about. Again, use your gut instinct. Walking around some old abandoned factories and empty houses....probably not a good area to be walking around late at night.

4. As a journalist, I am naturally interested in the hardest hit neighborhoods, the most desperate people. I realize that is dangerous. I've heard people say not to look anyone in the eye even, but that kind of goes against investigative reporting. How cooperative are these types of people with journalists? Will they talk to you or shoot you?
    Well, see the response to #3. You can't just waltz into a hard neighborhood and start knocking on doors for interviews because it will make people nervous. Will you get shot at? Unlikely. But there is the possibility of unwanted responses. I had to go on assignment for a windshield survey to photograph every single house in parts of Detroit to document neighborhood conditions. We never had anyone get upset, although residents definitely asked what we are up to because they were unsure of our intentions.

My suggestion would be to get involved with community organizations. Let them help you organize an interview with residents who may be more willing to tell their story.

Thanks, I realize this is long. Any response is helpful. I know i'm not a native and I don't want it to seem like I'm just interested in doing some muckraking to further add to the city's poor reputation. There is honestly just something that pulls me to it. I feel that in the midst of all this difficulty is a lot of hope and opportunity.
    I compliment you on your interests, and Detroit is indeed a very interesting place and you'll find a lot of great things you will have never expect to find. But I will warn you that Detroit has had a lot of attention lately and the stories have been mostly the same. I'd focus on things in Detroit one would never expect to be written about

When and if you come, Kelseystatic, contact me. My friends and I will make sure you will get the introduction to this wonderful city and region through young people's perspective. I, personally, love showing the international students I know around the city, but any out-of-state family member who have never really been here.

And Downtownlady seemed kind of catty, don't mind those people. Even though that other girl's dreams were really odd. You seem normal. haha

Kelseystatic--
    The Midtown/Cultural Center area is fine. I spend a lot of time in Seattle, in the U District, Lower Queen Anne, Ballard, Capitol Hill, and West Seattle. I've looked over my shoulder many more times on University Avenue than I have on Woodward. They are both big cities, and you have to respond to them that way. They each have their own "vibe," and I love them both.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    And Downtownlady seemed kind of catty, don't mind those people.
    Aw, that's cute. I'm anything but catty, honey -- I prefer to call it savvy. You meet enough cockpunchers, you have no choice but to be savvy.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Even though that other girl's dreams were really odd.
    Yes, because she wasn't real. Because it was a big joke. Get it?
    Last edited by Downtown Lady; February-17-11 at 11:25 PM.

Thanks everybody! You have all been really helpful. This is way more insight then I could've gotten by just reading a book or something.
    And about people being leery of journalists, I totally understand. When I first read about Detroit and all the stuff going down, I was like OH MY HOW HORRIBLE. And I mean, there's definitely hardship going on...but everything started to look so one-sided after awhile? I was like, if this city is a supposed hell-hole, how come so many people are living there? [[note: not saying Detroit is a hell-hole haha) I look forward to coming and visiting and finding the good things no one has reported about. I've only seen pictures, but it looks like you have a beautiful city.
    Dtowncitylover, I would love that! Like I said, I don't really know where to go, so that would be awesome!
    And I read that girl's whole thread....and yeah that was weird. haha

Quote Originally Posted by French777 View Post
    I currently am attending Wayne State University and live here on campus. First off, I came from a upper-middle class suburb of Detroit and when I was a child we were taught almost to "fear" Detroit. I have lived here for less than 6 months and I LOVE IT!

I go on walks around Midtown everyday at different hours of the day too. Anything from 6am- 10pm and I have never run into anything remotely worrisome. When I say "Midtown" I do not include the "Cass Park" neighborhood.

Wayne State University has a very safe campus. I don't think I can walk for more than 10 or 15 minutes without seeing a WSU / City of Detroit police cruiser. There are 4 police departments represented in Midtown [[ DMC, CCS, WSU and City of Detroit). It seems so far as a very safe place to live,work and play.

Yet..... I do hear that car thefts are still an issue that needs to be adressed. I would reccomend that you put your car in a parking garage rather than on the street at night if avaliable.
    the cops dont come near ccs much. we have had a few armed robberies and i believe on rape just last year

Augustiner Guest

I was like, if this city is a supposed hell-hole, how come so many people are living there?
    Inertia, mostly.

Hahaha

I don't mean to sound like a Negative Nelly or anything, but I moved to Detroit about 5 years ago because I was equally curious. While living in the city did have its perks [[Mexicantown, beautiful architecture, nice people, etc.) I ended up having many problems. First of all, when I first moved here my car was stolen and wrecked. I have been car-less ever since. This is a bad thing because the public transportation is a joke. I have not been able to find a job in over a year because of my school schedule and lack of ability to get around to the places that will hire me. Aside from that, I was also mugged when I was living on the east side. I have also had a bike stolen... which I later retrieved when I saw some crackhead riding it around WSU.

I was harassed almost on a daily basis by guys that seemed to think that I needed some side relationships and they weren't nice. They were very graphic and there were several occasions where I was threatened while waiting for the bus, etc. by men that seemed to think that they were entitled to any woman they wanted. Once a car full of guys attempted to pull me into their car... this was near the CCS campus...

I lived in Warrendale for a couple of years since then and it has gotten really bad over there too. It got to the point where I couldn't ride my bike or even sit in my own front yard without people harassing me. I also got tired of seeing crackheads stick their heads into the dumpster to smoke crack... and the almost daily home invasions in my neighborhood... so, this month we moved to Madison Heights.

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown Lady View Post
    Aw, that's cute. I'm anything but catty, honey -- I prefer to call it savvy. You meet enough cockpunchers, you have no choice but to be savvy.

Yes, because she wasn't real. Because it was a big joke. Get it?
    She was real, actually! I contacted her over Facebook, needless to say we are not friends. haha Keep on being savvy, love it!

Quote Originally Posted by epiphany View Post
    I don't mean to sound like a Negative Nelly or anything, but I moved to Detroit about 5 years ago because I was equally curious. While living in the city did have its perks [[Mexicantown, beautiful architecture, nice people, etc.) I ended up having many problems. First of all, when I first moved here my car was stolen and wrecked. I have been car-less ever since. This is a bad thing because the public transportation is a joke. I have not been able to find a job in over a year because of my school schedule and lack of ability to get around to the places that will hire me. Aside from that, I was also mugged when I was living on the east side. I have also had a bike stolen... which I later retrieved when I saw some crackhead riding it around WSU.

I was harassed almost on a daily basis by guys that seemed to think that I needed some side relationships and they weren't nice. They were very graphic and there were several occasions where I was threatened while waiting for the bus, etc. by men that seemed to think that they were entitled to any woman they wanted. Once a car full of guys attempted to pull me into their car... this was near the CCS campus...

I lived in Warrendale for a couple of years since then and it has gotten really bad over there too. It got to the point where I couldn't ride my bike or even sit in my own front yard without people harassing me. I also got tired of seeing crackheads stick their heads into the dumpster to smoke crack... and the almost daily home invasions in my neighborhood... so, this month we moved to Madison Heights.
    Sorry to hear of this horrific string of bad luck.
    Like I've said for years, Detroit isn't for everyone.
    By "everyone" I mean 98.65% of the population. Which is probably exactly why I love it.
    Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by KOMPOST View Post
    Sorry to hear of this horrific string of bad luck.
    Like I've said for years, Detroit isn't for everyone.
    By "everyone" I mean 98.65% of the population. Which is probably exactly why I love it.
    Cheers.

It probably wouldn't be for you either, if you were in the same situation. I never had the money to live in any of the nicer areas that those of you who say so many great things about Detroit actually live. If my car hadn't been stolen, I am sure that I could find a job and talk about how great Detroit is from my Eastern Market loft, Midtown apartment, or Downtown hi-rise... but I lived in the ghetto on the East side and the West side in places that most of you hipsters won't even drive through. Is it only for people who can afford to buy a car when theirs gets taken away from them? What exactly do you mean by this statement? It's not like I grew up in a rich suburb. I have street smarts. I grew up in the MS ghetto, and honestly it looks a lot poorer than many areas of Detroit. But, when everything gets taken away and no one will give you a job, you don't have much of an option but to move in with someone else or be homeless. Have you faced the possibility of homelessness? Ignorant statements like yours make me angry.

Hey Kelseystatic! I currently live near Wayne State and if I LOVE it. If you have any questions or need to know some cool places to live in the area feel free to private message me.

I respect epiphany's post. As much as I love Detroit, the City should not be described as a utopia to someone who has never been here.

I have great memories living in Capitol Park, Cass Park, and Woodbridge but I also have some not so nice experiences. My roommate was shot in front of me near 6 mile, I have been chased by packs of dogs twice on my bike, undercover cops robbed me at gunpoint, and had countless crackheads follow me and sometimes threaten me. A certain bar owner in Capitol Park thought it was appropriate to expose himself to me in the middle of the day. I will never spend another dollar in his establishment, especially after learning I am not the only person this has happened to.

Despite these situations, I plan on moving back to the City after graduation. I am currently studying urban planning in Montreal. Hopefully I will have even more to contribute to the City when I return, but I come home with open eyes. I realize there is a lot more to Detroit than Midtown and Woodbridge.
    Last edited by lukabottle; February-21-11 at 12:22 AM.

On a more positive note, I graduated from Wayne State in 2005. Great school, at least for Public Affairs. I am not sure about journalism.

To answer your questions.

1. How safe are the areas around the college? The area around WSU isn't too bad, you'll be as likely to be robbed at gunpoint as you would in the middle of downtown at 3pm.

2. Is it really as bad as people say? I know, every big city has its bad parts, but people say in Detroit you should expect to be robbed at gunpoint or the like. Is this true? As a white, brown-haired young female is it really likely that I will be victimized or hit by a stray bullet? Detroit has a lot of crime don't get me wrong but I have never had any problems in Detroit and I've been anywhere and everywhere in the city the last 20 years. It's hard to say which neighborhood has the most crime because it's everywhere in the city but the safest area of Detroit is downtown.

3. People say there are entire areas you should avoid. What is it that makes these areas so dangerous and how big are these "Areas to avoid"? There are shootings, stabbings, beatings, muggings, drugs being dealt and all kinds of other crimes going on in Detroit just like in any big city, there are some areas that are worst than others, a few areas that I can think of are the Linwood-Dexter area, that isn't too safe; a lot of Highland Park which is a separate city with Detroit completely circling it along with Hamtramck, the area around Six Mile and Conant is another area that comes to mind as an unsafe area, there are many other areas.

4. As a journalist, I am naturally interested in the hardest hit neighborhoods, the most desperate people. I realize that is dangerous. I've heard people say not to look anyone in the eye even, but that kind of goes against investigative reporting. How cooperative are these types of people with journalists? Will they talk to you or shoot you? The hardest hit area to me would be Brightmoor because I believe it's the largest neighborhood in the city in terms of area and it needs a lot of help. The neighborhood is on the far westside of the city between Evergreen, Telegraph, Puritan and I-96 or Plymouth I can't remember which one on the south.

You sound like a cheap thrill seeker.
    Hey, if you're looking for trouble you'll find it.
    Wayne used to be pretty safe but don't wander too far down Cass.
    Getting tired of outsiders looking at Detroit like it's a freak show.
    I wouldn't encourage anyone with a family moving to the city proper.
    If your a student with nothing to lose, you might get by ok.

I'm not a cheap thrill-seeker and I'm not looking for trouble...
    I think it's a very interesting place, and I want to visit.
    I know it's not a freak show, which is why I want to come. There is barely any positive coverage of Detroit right now. I would like to help change that.

I'm not a cheap thrill-seeker and I'm not looking for trouble...
    I think it's a very interesting place, and I want to visit.
    I know it's not a freak show, which is why I want to come. There is barely any positive coverage of Detroit right now. I would like to help change that.
    If you have not already, do a search for:
    "Detroit Lives" and "Johnny Knoxville" There you will find a + view that, by itself cannot repair the years of corruption and mismanagement. Detroit was emptied out by design. Even so, I remain hopeful for my city. Maybe I am stuck in nostalgia for the Detroit of the '50s. Young people who have demonstrated that, where others see "ruin" they see "opportunity" have caused some older folks around here to have epiphanies of sorts. Any way you look at it, Detroit is a place where the future of shrinking cities is being invented.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2