Hi, I'm a Washington state native from Lake Stevens [[little bedroom community) and I'm currently attending college in the eastern half of the state, studying journalism. I have always liked the midwest, but became interested in Detroit in particular after reading that big article in TIME magazine, which I really enjoyed. First of all, I had no IDEA what was going on! Neighborhoods upon neighborhoods of abandoned houses?? I've never seen anything like it! There is something that breaks my heart about it. Detroit represents the heart of America to me. The automobile, Tigers Baseball, Motown records, enterprising, industrious people...I don't think we should give up on Detroit! Which I guess is why I and all of you are on this forum. Haha. So anyway, I'm thinking of attending Wayne State University to finish my degree, or maybe visiting in the summer and having a look around.
What I want to know:
1. How safe are the areas around the college?
2. Is it really as bad as people say? I know, every big city has its bad parts, but people say in Detroit you should expect to be robbed at gunpoint or the like. Is this true? As a white, brown-haired young female is it really likely that I will be victimized or hit by a stray bullet?
3. People say there are entire areas you should avoid. What is it that makes these areas so dangerous and how big are these "Areas to avoid"?
4. As a journalist, I am naturally interested in the hardest hit neighborhoods, the most desperate people. I realize that is dangerous. I've heard people say not to look anyone in the eye even, but that kind of goes against investigative reporting. How cooperative are these types of people with journalists? Will they talk to you or shoot you?

Thanks, I realize this is long. Any response is helpful. I know i'm not a native and I don't want it to seem like I'm just interested in doing some muckraking to further add to the city's poor reputation. There is honestly just something that pulls me to it. I feel that in the midst of all this difficulty is a lot of hope and opportunity.

I guess i'm just trying to gage if I'll get shot visiting it [[kidding. kinda. haha)