Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by GUSHI View Post
    Does any one know the name of the bar that was located on Conant, between Miller and Dorthy in Hamtramck. I remember going in it as a little kid w/ my dad. Across from were Dicksion jail is. Thankyou.
    Gushi,
    Would it be the Glass Bar that you are talking about?

When we first came to Detroit back in 1967, my mother worked at the place "Mother's" that Melody is referring to on Conant and Mt. Elliott, but it was called "Tom's Cafe' back then. I wrote extensively about this place and this area in Shadows And Scars.

One day a friend of mine, after reading the book, asked me to take her to see the area where everything happened. My mother got killed right there on that corner, so you can imagine how we felt when we saw the place had "Mother's" written on both sides of the building. By the way, that building has a triangle shape to it.

The Glass Bar was one of the places I went looking for my mother that night. My school was Cooper Elementary.
    God Bless
    Johnnie Sue

GUSHI Guest

The bar I was talking about was c street cafe. Sorry about your loss, God Bless You also.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnie Sue Bridges View Post
    Gushi,
    Would it be the Glass Bar that you are talking about?

When we first came to Detroit back in 1967, my mother worked at the place "Mother's" that Melody is referring to on Conant and Mt. Elliott, but it was called "Tom's Cafe' back then. I wrote extensively about this place and this area in Shadows And Scars.

One day a friend of mine, after reading the book, asked me to take her to see the area where everything happened. My mother got killed right there on that corner, so you can imagine how we felt when we saw the place had "Mother's" written on both sides of the building. By the way, that building has a triangle shape to it.

The Glass Bar was one of the places I went looking for my mother that night. My school was Cooper Elementary.
    God Bless
    Johnnie Sue

This stretch of Conant was a different world in the 1920s. Manuel starts after the 7000 block, and Dorothy starts much farther away. There's no 8534 Conant listed in 1929, and nothing on that side of the street in that immediate area.

Attachment 8852
    Attachment 8851
    Name:  Conant2.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  64.0 KB
    from R.L. Polk Detroit City Directory 1928-29

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2