Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Robocop is sweet. Haters need to get a sense of humor and get over it.

Seriously, when did we start getting so up tight? Its a movie. There's a lot of evil shit in Detroit, this isnt one of them. I say lets have this silly thing and just embrace it for what it is.

No one is stopping you from carrying out your project. The folks at imagination station have completed what they have done thus far with determination, commitment, and a knack for creative fund raising. We could all take a lesson from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    I didnt make the R2, I just found that pic on FB. Two different friends had posted pics of it.

Thought it was hilarious.

Did you notice the little gun strapped to his leg?
    Yup, I love the gun. I hope it's not a water pistol. I wouldnt want the guy to rust...

Quote Originally Posted by socks_mahoney View Post
    Robocop is sweet. Haters need to get a sense of humor and get over it.

Seriously, when did we start getting so up tight? Its a movie. There's a lot of evil shit in Detroit, this isnt one of them. I say lets have this silly thing and just embrace it for what it is.

No one is stopping you from carrying out your project. The folks at imagination station have completed what they have done thus far with determination, commitment, and a knack for creative fund raising. We could all take a lesson from them.
    Oh, yes. The RoboCop statue represents a new and serious commitment to Detroit by only the most serious-minded young people. It is an excellent choice to take precious, hard-to-find money and look at this city with all its challenges and to pinpoint exactly what must be done. After years of research, community-building and asking Detroit residents what it was they wanted, they are responding to community needs. And, overwhelmingly, what Detroit residents wanted was a statue of a fictional character.
    Set in a dystopian future.
    Where Detroit lies in ruins.
    And the character is a white guy holding a gun.

Detroit's residents have spoken. And these energetic young people are answering their call by promptly raising the funds. Rejoice, Detroiters. Your dreams have come true. May it stand many hours before it is defaced with graffitti or hauled away for scrap.

Howsabout this guy, a fictional character, cant tell but looks like he could be mulatto?

The city of Tokyo was destroyed a number of times by this little critter called Godzilla, and yet they built a monument to him, go figure...

http://www.360cities.net/image/godzi...75,-32.50,60.0

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Howsabout this guy, a fictional character, cant tell but looks like he could be mulatto?

The city of Tokyo was destroyed a number of times by this little critter called Godzilla, and yet they built a monument to him, go figure...

http://www.360cities.net/image/godzi...75,-32.50,60.0
    Not too shabby. Tokyo is one of the best-functioning cities, and Tokyo-Yokohama is one of the best functioning metros. They're like the proverbial city that has "solved all its problems" and can now move on to fun, frivolous stuff, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Not too shabby. Tokyo is one of the best-functioning cities, and Tokyo-Yokohama is one of the best functioning metros. They're like the proverbial city that has "solved all its problems" and can now move on to fun, frivolous stuff, right?
    Yup, I think so too. 36 million people and in spite of this, it is a livable collection of neighborhoods with linkage that keeps improving by the minute. Do you know this website?
    It is a real treat;
    It is about English translations in Japan and China, with posts submitted by tourists and english speaking residents.

http://www.engrish.com/

Yeah. Haha. Engrish is a hoot.

So we can't have frivolous fun stuff until we fix ALL the problems.

In other news: RoboCop pushback raises 10,000 meals for Metro Detroit hungry

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20110218/...#ixzz1ELymJ4SQ

http://detnews.com/article/20110218/...Detroit-hungry
    Last edited by socks_mahoney; February-18-11 at 05:48 PM.

Oh, yes. The RoboCop statue represents a new and serious commitment to Detroit by only the most serious-minded young people. It is an excellent choice to take precious, hard-to-find money and look at this city with all its challenges and to pinpoint exactly what must be done. After years of research, community-building and asking Detroit residents what it was they wanted, they are responding to community needs. And, overwhelmingly, what Detroit residents wanted was a statue of a fictional character.
    Set in a dystopian future.
    Where Detroit lies in ruins.
    And the character is a white guy holding a gun.

Detroit's residents have spoken. And these energetic young people are answering their call by promptly raising the funds. Rejoice, Detroiters. Your dreams have come true. May it stand many hours before it is defaced with graffitti or hauled away for scrap.
    Perectly stated ROFLMAO

I agree completely that there should be a Robocop statue. Hats off to the hard working kids who made this possible, too.
    But, to be perfectly fair about this, shouldn't it go where the movie was filmed? In Toronto?
    Enjoy the statue, friends to the north!

If all the haters are so worried about the drop in the bucket $50,000 why are they not spending their time working for their favorite cause? If everyone who spent the time it took writing and complaining about RoboCop, instead used that time trying to raise money for homelessness puppies or whatever they would have had $50,000 themselves.

But hey, theres no such thing as bad publicity, so thank you.

@Detroitnerd, what are you seething about? Who said anything about RC reping a new and serious commitment, the money wasn't hard to find, and our dreams are not coming true. We do get a statue which will represent what one person can do with an I phone and we do get to laugh at ourselves a little bit. This is not serious art but what is art supposed to do? Its supposed to make you think and feel, which is exactly what this statue is making you do. Its done its job before its even been erected. Congratulations, you been affected.

When you think about it its very pop, Warhol like.

Considering the state of Detroit, how could something as whimsical as a statue about a movie character be of any harm? If it becomes a minor attraction for the city, I say build more of 'em.

DetroitDad Guest

If all the haters are so worried about the drop in the bucket $50,000 why are they not spending their time working for their favorite cause? If everyone who spent the time it took writing and complaining about RoboCop, instead used that time trying to raise money for homelessness puppies or whatever they would have had $50,000 themselves.

But hey, theres no such thing as bad publicity, so thank you.

@Detroitnerd, what are you seething about? Who said anything about RC reping a new and serious commitment, the money wasn't hard to find, and our dreams are not coming true. We do get a statue which will represent what one person can do with an I phone and we do get to laugh at ourselves a little bit. This is not serious art but what is art supposed to do? Its supposed to make you think and feel, which is exactly what this statue is making you do. Its done its job before its even been erected. Congratulations, you been affected.

When you think about it its very pop, Warhol like.
    Parts of this post could be crossed posted out of context to the DSO thread.

If you are worried about feeding the homeless, then create a statue for Robohobo.

Put it on a track so it can corner people and have a mechanized voice ask "Hey mister you gotta dollar?"

Seething? I just think it's a dumb, pretentious idea from a bunch of foolish fatheads. The only thing I'm actually pissed about is that so much time is being spent discussing it. Built it, let it get covered with graffitti and bird shit and move on to the next aesthetic abortion, please.

A word from.... RoboCop!

Quote Originally Posted by Whitehouse View Post
    A word from.... RoboCop!
    WORD, thats what I want to hear. Acknowledgement thats its all in fun. Sure it cost a few bucks, a few bucks that were most definitely not going to be given to a charitable cause here in Detroit in the first place. In the end it did raise some money though.

A word from.... RoboCop!
    Thanks for the link! I had totally forgotten that website. Very funny stuff!

I wish I hadn't seen that. Always loved Peter Weller; now I nominate him as the new Adam West...

DetroitDad Guest

Heh, culture and comedy keep us going through the bad times, eh?

Maybe it could be a centerpiece of the Detroit Walk of Fame.

WORD, thats what I want to hear. Acknowledgement thats its all in fun. Sure it cost a few bucks, a few bucks that were most definitely not going to be given to a charitable cause here in Detroit in the first place. In the end it did raise some money though.

Peter Weller a.k.a. Robocop has a message regarding this subject :

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/521...oit?rel=player

A word from.... RoboCop!
    Saw that too^. Hilarious. Time for us to to be big enough to plant our tongues in our cheeks and be able to laugh at ourselves. As long as it doesn't cost the public a dime who cares. I would think some businesses who would benefit from a lot of passerby's would be queuing up to provide a place.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Guess you haven't seen the movie, eh?

Murphy is the good guy. The superhero.

The only thing for the City not to like is that he actually wins out over corruption and greed.
    We should be grateful that someone didn't want to erect a statue of some gang-banger or mafioso. Think of all the negative models in popular movies today.

Here in the small town of Best in the Netherlands, near Eindhoven [[birthplace of Philips electronics) they've got Michael Jackson standing next to a McDonald's.

This was a prop from the HIStory tour.

That's an overdose of Americana....

Perhaps we can take a page out of Prague's playbook, instead?

And Oslo? I don't even want to know...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast