Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    The fact is that some ideas are just pointless. You will need city approval to get something like this on City Land. No one is going to give it to you.
    It is being put up on land owned by Imagination Station, the people behind this project. This image is on their Kickstarter site describing the project:

"The Location: Detroit, silly!

Specifically, the Imagination Station is offering a piece of its property on Roosevelt Park facing Michigan Central Station as Robocop's new home. If this is were Robo goes, this is approximately what his view will be:

We say "if", because in our quest to choose the best location possible, if another even better location appears before installation, Robo might move. Rest assured that the absolute worst we can do is incredibly awesome.
    It is incredibly awesome.

I for one hope he's looking right at it, determined to "tear that schitt down" [[not necessarily in the literal sense). To my mind, this pro-actively provides food for thought for the reinterpretation of the disaster that is MCS. Describing MCS as emblematic of one or some of the thematic elements of RoboCop is probably just the low-hanging fruit.

MCS is a marvel. The image is out there, and will continue to define the story of Detroit. Any reference to it obviously pours salt in an already gaping wound. But since it's out there to begin with, let's inject some thoughtfulness into it as well.

The real story behind it has nothing to do with the locals whom its "exploitation" so offends. Other than that they have continued to let a local tycoon run wild as a slummy speculator, letting his assemblage of broken windows blight an already put-upon neighborhood and city. One day, he apparently hopes to tear it down and put in an off-ramp [[facepalm).

A prompt to tell that story is a constructive contribution.
    Last edited by fryar; February-12-11 at 04:43 PM.

What about a big porcelain water feature. The attaction would be the really neat funnel of water in the middle, just continuously circling into a drain forever and ever that people can make a wish, and throw their money into?

Quote Originally Posted by eno View Post
    Forget having a statue of Robocop, Detroit needs the real thing. Take The Fist off of it's mount and use it to knock on the doors of crack houses, corrupt politicos, tax cheats.
    If I had any artistic talent whatsoever, I would favor all of you with an image of RoboCop knocking down MCS, using The Fist as a suspended wrecking ball.

Alas, it would come out having all the appeal of a multi-colored macaroni picture frame.

just continuously circling into a drain forever and ever that people can make a wish, and throw their money into?

That's called City Hall.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    That's called City Hall.

Riiiiiiight, right, right, right, right.

I thought I seen something like I described downtown already, but wasn't really sure.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
    What about a big porcelain water feature. The attaction would be the really neat funnel of water in the middle, just continuously circling into a drain forever and ever that people can make a wish, and throw their money into?
    Heres the prototype...

Awwww.....all I get is a red X

I hate my work computer

Quote Originally Posted by ja!mz View Post
    How about a statue of Ronald Reagan? He did win in 1980, we did have the Republican convention here that year,,,and it was the 100 year anniversery of his birth last week...
    As long as that monkey Bonzo is part of the piece I'm down.

A Robocop statue down the street from my house is so AWESOME!!!!!!! I hope they build the Ted Nugent statue across from Hard Rock in Campus Martius,LOL.

When I initially heard of this, I thought the idea was a little silly. If all of this is true, I find the idea to be awesome. Now, I hope they're able to get the necessary funds.

How "bout a huge Sta Puft Marshmellow man like from Ghostbusters? ......Oh man I hope they can get the funds!!!!

If it is made out of metal can we place bets on how long it will actually last? You can bet a scrapper is already looking at it as a payday.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    It s a bit more complicated then raise some funds and build a statue,so he is standing there and needs a bath who then handles/pays that?

Little Mikey thinks it cool to climb up on his shoulder and have his picture taken and he falls off what happens next?

Once it is or if it is placed on city property it then becomes by the people for the people so it would take a majority to have it become a reality.

It is way more involved then to say hey heres $15 grand lets throw this statue up, it needs to be reviewed which costs time and money.It was the mayors duty to say no without looking at all of the angles ,that there shows that he is doing what he was put in place to do.

But if the majority steps up and says okay then the majority has spoken.

But all of this stuff of the older folk need to step aside and we want Detroit to be based on the 30 something generation ? Who do you think is funding all of this growth and rehabilitation ? So do not be so quick to push them into a corner.

Tough job appeasing the masses.
    I'm not saying the 'older folk' need to step aside, just to get rid of them.
    Besides, the poster DID start his statement with 'I'm Old'.
    I'm saying, if it seems too frivolous because you don't appreciate it, BECAUSE
    you're old, then why not sit this one out. Everybody doesn't have to participate
    in everything, just because it's happening, or being discussed. That in itself
    doesn't make it a bad idea, or discount every other thing that you are, or
    are involved with.
    Simply remove yourself from the conversation.
    Besides, I myself am older, and I don't like being discounted either, so I know from whence I speak.
    Ps.
    The masses will eat everything in sight.
    I LOVE statues....and as mentioned earlier, some can evoke amusement,
    and fun [[Unlike a very large BLACK Fist!!!) [[that's some message, what does
    that evoke.... fear, dominance, ugly?)

"But if the majority steps up and says okay then the majority has spoken."

So I guess only the ones that approve 100% are allowed to voice their opinion? interesting concept.

prophetic I say, prophetic. and divinely inspired.

this from One More Spoke blog in late January:

Anonymous said... "Dead or alive, you're coming with me."
    -- Robo Cop

"Robocop not only dramatizes the dehumanization of untrammeled technological development, it resists the postmodern fatalism of someone like Baudrillard who concludes that the Subject has lost its battle with the Object and so should surrender and embrace "fatal strategies." While Robocop depicts a cyberblitzed, post-catastrophic, hyperreal, technified world, it also suggests that technology cannot achieve its goal of a perfectly enclosed, self-referential entombment, that simulation strategies do not necessarily succeed, and that the human subject is not so easily erased. Robocop's struggle to understand what has happened to him and who he is, his identification with his former human self irrevocably entrapped within a steel body, his rebellion against bureaucracy and his corporate creators, and the forging of his own will against a technological determination, constitute this film's undeniably utopian moments. Robocop dramatizes the resilience of a subject, albeit a cyborg, amidst the most incredibly reified and subjugating conditions, and allegorizes its attempts to find meaning and value within a corrupt and decadent postmodern world."

set in detroit, it sounds like a freakin' novel to me.

--LtD
    January 31, 2011 10:47 PMso now you know why RoboCop must be immortalized in Roosevelt Park.

What's next? A chrome horse on the lawn behind the DIA?

Whats next? a huge fist downtown?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    It s a bit more complicated then raise some funds and build a statue,so he is standing there and needs a bath who then handles/pays that?

Little Mikey thinks it cool to climb up on his shoulder and have his picture taken and he falls off what happens next?

Once it is or if it is placed on city property it then becomes by the people for the people so it would take a majority to have it become a reality.

It is way more involved then to say hey heres $15 grand lets throw this statue up, it needs to be reviewed which costs time and money.It was the mayors duty to say no without looking at all of the angles ,that there shows that he is doing what he was put in place to do.

But if the majority steps up and says okay then the majority has spoken.

But all of this stuff of the older folk need to step aside and we want Detroit to be based on the 30 something generation ? Who do you think is funding all of this growth and rehabilitation ? So do not be so quick to push them into a corner.

Tough job appeasing the masses.
    If they continue to raise money aggressively, an endowment towards maintenance and insurance costs could guarantee the statue would stand years to come. People will climb it, no doubt, and I'm sure there will be graffiti scrawled on it. Depending on the type of construction and materials they could avoid alot of the maintenance costs. Cast it in concrete, it'll last for decades or more, and graffiti resistant coatings I've seen specified in projects have worked quite well. City assumes liability, but as always it's not that burdening of a cost.

citylover Guest

Doesn't it bother anyone else that the movie was filmed in Dallas? Detroit, the name represented the archetype of crime ridden scum infested hell hole of a city........what better to represent that than Detroit?

The Craig Fahle show had a segment on this last week with the two guys trying to make this happen. One person called in with a very good observation.He remarked on how these guys were worthy of the P.T.Barnum award for shameless self promotion.

Why would anyone advocate for this when not only was it not filmed in Detroit but it[[movie) uses the "idea" of the worst city being called "Detroit" ?

Quote Originally Posted by citylover View Post
    Doesn't it bother anyone else that the movie was filmed in Dallas? Detroit, the name represented the archetype of crime ridden scum infested hell hole of a city........what better to represent that than Detroit?

The Craig Fahle show had a segment on this last week with the two guys trying to make this happen. One person called in with a very good observation.He remarked on how these guys were worthy of the P.T.Barnum award for shameless self promotion.

Why would anyone advocate for this when not only was it not filmed in Detroit but it[[movie) uses the "idea" of the worst city being called "Detroit" ?
    I don't think the point of setting the movie in Detroit was to portray it as the worst city in the world. I think it was more a case of Detroit being a city noteworthy enough to be cast as "the big city". There have been plenty society gone to Hell movies set in other major American cities.

Btw, I re-watched the original RoboCop yesterday and noticed that every single car used in the movie was made by either Ford or GM.

Quote Originally Posted by citylover View Post

Bravo. Been my points since this hit the news...although I didn't bother to say them here. Wanted to see it played out first. My Facebook friends got the whole load, and it resonates precisely with your reactions, CL.

Cheers

a cyberblitzed, post-catastrophic, hyperreal, technified world, it also suggests that technology cannot achieve its goal of a perfectly enclosed, self-referential entombment, that simulation strategies do not necessarily succeed, and that the human subject is not so easily erased. Robocop's struggle to understand what has happened to him and who he is, his identification with his former human self irrevocably entrapped within a steel body, his rebellion against bureaucracy and his corporate creators, and the forging of his own will against a technological determination, constitute this film's undeniably utopian moments. Robocop dramatizes the resilience of a subject, albeit a cyborg, amidst the most incredibly reified and subjugating conditions, and allegorizes its attempts to find meaning and value within a corrupt and decadent postmodern world.

Sounds very much like the struggles and conflicts facing the City itself.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Btw, I re-watched the original RoboCop yesterday and noticed that every single car used in the movie was made by either Ford or GM.
    I have always loved that the police cruiser of the future was a 1986 [[a year behind the release of the movie?? lol) Ford Taurus!! "Paint it flat black....it'll look futurie!"

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    a cyberblitzed, post-catastrophic, hyperreal, technified world, it also suggests that technology cannot achieve its goal of a perfectly enclosed, self-referential entombment, that simulation strategies do not necessarily succeed, and that the human subject is not so easily erased. Robocop's struggle to understand what has happened to him and who he is, his identification with his former human self irrevocably entrapped within a steel body, his rebellion against bureaucracy and his corporate creators, and the forging of his own will against a technological determination, constitute this film's undeniably utopian moments. Robocop dramatizes the resilience of a subject, albeit a cyborg, amidst the most incredibly reified and subjugating conditions, and allegorizes its attempts to find meaning and value within a corrupt and decadent postmodern world.

Sounds very much like the struggles and conflicts facing the City itself.
    Indeed. ahhh. . . . yes!
    the search for "meaning and value in a decadent postmodern world" is what makes RoboCop an enduring epic poem hidden inside a cheezy B movie for those who can see it. I don't believe it is an accident that Robo statue may well be erected near/in imagination station. Imagination, in fact, may be one of the bridges to spiritual birth of an urban formulation that protects and serves all of us. Kinda like why Queen Lucy was the only one who saw Aslan at first in the Caspian saga -- because she believed -- had faith in the unseen. MCS does have true value as the backdrop for mourning our losses, expressing our fears, denying our shortcomings and finally, coming to acceptance of our collective failures. It's your choice to be reborn in spirit. Always is, every moment.

citylover Guest

Frankly the idea might not seem so awkward had the movie been filmed in Detroit......although there is a precedent and that is the Mary Tyler Moore statue in Minneapolis. I believe much of the show was filmed in Calif.

However the archetype city being represented as Detroit bugs me.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast