Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Hybrid View

Ummm... perhaps there are better uses for our "silly money" here in the poorest major city in the country?

Forget having a statue of Robocop, Detroit needs the real thing. Take The Fist off of it's mount and use it to knock on the doors of crack houses, corrupt politicos, tax cheats.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Ummm... perhaps there are better uses for our "silly money" here in the poorest major city in the country?
    Unless there's a second coming of Mother Teresa everyone spends money on frivolous things that could be put to better use.

Quote Originally Posted by eno View Post
    Forget having a statue of Robocop, Detroit needs the real thing. Take The Fist off of it's mount and use it to knock on the doors of crack houses, corrupt politicos, tax cheats.
    If I had any artistic talent whatsoever, I would favor all of you with an image of RoboCop knocking down MCS, using The Fist as a suspended wrecking ball.

Alas, it would come out having all the appeal of a multi-colored macaroni picture frame.

I believe I spoke to soon. Ive been thinking about it and the fact that it was a joke to begin with makes it a little easier to swallow. Maybe we need a statue that says we in Detroit can laugh at ourselves a little. Its not high art but it is a symbol. Detroit has always been a pretty hard edged city but with Hollywood giving us all that love as of late, RoboCop could be something of a gesture rep'ing our change..

Robocop statue for Detroit??? Only if Manhattan gets a Snake Plissken statue.

How about a statue of Ronald Reagan? He did win in 1980, we did have the Republican convention here that year,,,and it was the 100 year anniversery of his birth last week...

Quote Originally Posted by ja!mz View Post
    How about a statue of Ronald Reagan? He did win in 1980, we did have the Republican convention here that year,,,and it was the 100 year anniversery of his birth last week...
    As long as that monkey Bonzo is part of the piece I'm down.

I won't be using any of my money for it, but if people want to spend their own money on it, fine. They earned their money, let them do what they want. Part of me likes it because it's absurd, and I like absurd. The argument that there are better things to spend money on is irrelevant. It's not your money. Go spend your money on better things, then. People giving money for this were just going to spend it on something equally stupid.

Suffice to say, another Wings jersey will need to be sewn.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post
    I won't be using any of my money for it, but if people want to spend their own money on it, fine. They earned their money, let them do what they want. Part of me likes it because it's absurd, and I like absurd. The argument that there are better things to spend money on is irrelevant. It's not your money. Go spend your money on better things, then. People giving money for this were just going to spend it on something equally stupid.
    I don't really get this argument. Can't I just be against stupidity in all its forms?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post

Good point. I guess this means PBR sales on Michigan Avenue bars will be down this spring then.

What about a big porcelain water feature. The attaction would be the really neat funnel of water in the middle, just continuously circling into a drain forever and ever that people can make a wish, and throw their money into?

Quote Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
    What about a big porcelain water feature. The attaction would be the really neat funnel of water in the middle, just continuously circling into a drain forever and ever that people can make a wish, and throw their money into?
    Heres the prototype...

just continuously circling into a drain forever and ever that people can make a wish, and throw their money into?

That's called City Hall.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    That's called City Hall.

Riiiiiiight, right, right, right, right.

I thought I seen something like I described downtown already, but wasn't really sure.

Thanks!

A Robocop statue down the street from my house is so AWESOME!!!!!!! I hope they build the Ted Nugent statue across from Hard Rock in Campus Martius,LOL.

How "bout a huge Sta Puft Marshmellow man like from Ghostbusters? ......Oh man I hope they can get the funds!!!!

If it is made out of metal can we place bets on how long it will actually last? You can bet a scrapper is already looking at it as a payday.

"But if the majority steps up and says okay then the majority has spoken."

So I guess only the ones that approve 100% are allowed to voice their opinion? interesting concept.

prophetic I say, prophetic. and divinely inspired.

this from One More Spoke blog in late January:

Anonymous said... "Dead or alive, you're coming with me."
    -- Robo Cop

"Robocop not only dramatizes the dehumanization of untrammeled technological development, it resists the postmodern fatalism of someone like Baudrillard who concludes that the Subject has lost its battle with the Object and so should surrender and embrace "fatal strategies." While Robocop depicts a cyberblitzed, post-catastrophic, hyperreal, technified world, it also suggests that technology cannot achieve its goal of a perfectly enclosed, self-referential entombment, that simulation strategies do not necessarily succeed, and that the human subject is not so easily erased. Robocop's struggle to understand what has happened to him and who he is, his identification with his former human self irrevocably entrapped within a steel body, his rebellion against bureaucracy and his corporate creators, and the forging of his own will against a technological determination, constitute this film's undeniably utopian moments. Robocop dramatizes the resilience of a subject, albeit a cyborg, amidst the most incredibly reified and subjugating conditions, and allegorizes its attempts to find meaning and value within a corrupt and decadent postmodern world."

set in detroit, it sounds like a freakin' novel to me.

--LtD
    January 31, 2011 10:47 PMso now you know why RoboCop must be immortalized in Roosevelt Park.

Quote Originally Posted by Lt. Dan Bassett View Post
    While Robocop depicts a cyberblitzed, post-catastrophic, hyperreal, technified world, it also suggests that technology cannot achieve its goal of a perfectly enclosed, self-referential entombment, that simulation strategies do not necessarily succeed, and that the human subject is not so easily erased. Robocop's struggle to understand what has happened to him and who he is, his identification with his former human self irrevocably entrapped within a steel body, his rebellion against bureaucracy and his corporate creators, and the forging of his own will against a technological determination, constitute this film's undeniably utopian moments. Robocop dramatizes the resilience of a subject, albeit a cyborg, amidst the most incredibly reified and subjugating conditions, and allegorizes its attempts to find meaning and value within a corrupt and decadent postmodern world."
    OK, but this overlooks two things: 1, Robocop's only job is to shoot criminals on sight--that qualifies him as "a figure of rebellion against bureaucracy" I guess, but not the liberating one you want to make him out to be.

2, the film is a satire of the Reagan era, which is why it's set in Detroit, since Detroit was [[and maybe is) synonymous with failure, disorder, crime, etc. This description makes Robocop sound more like the Scarecrow from The Wizard of Oz or something. He is, let's remember, a killing machine and a symbol of the secret desire for fascism in America.

I think that if the Imagination Station people are serious about this it suggests that they are out-of-touch with that portion of the city that is not made up of ironic 22-year-olds. Maybe I'm underestimating people's senses of humor, but many of our fellow residents, particularly those who have been around a while, are understandably sensitive to portrayals, no matter how tongue-in-cheek, of Detroit as a violent wasteland. I love Robocop the movie, but it doesn't make sense to celebrate it as a city icon.

I'm surprised no one has posted this, which hits the nail on the head: http://supergaydetroit.blogspot.com/...-bad-idea.html

Quote Originally Posted by Melocoton View Post
    OK, but this overlooks two things: 1, Robocop's only job is to shoot criminals on sight--that qualifies him as "a figure of rebellion against bureaucracy" I guess, but not the liberating one you want to make him out to be.
    Weeeeeeell...technically his job was:

1 - Serve the public trust

2 - Protect the innocent

3 - Uphold the law

Sounds like what a cop is supposed to be to me

Quote Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
    Weeeeeeell...technically his job was:

1 - Serve the public trust

2 - Protect the innocent

3 - Uphold the law

Sounds like what a cop is supposed to be to me
    . . . and for added value in the narrative, Robocop was crucified, died and rose again to reclaim his humanity -- a reach for his original Creator's plan. The best cops join to serve and help others -- love their city and its people.
    Let's not overlook the Christ-figure aspect of the story.
    This thread and the one over at supergay proves the value of the project. Think of all the conversations that can be initiated at the foot of Robocop's likeness. Every day is a choice. Whom have you exalted today?

Quote Originally Posted by Lt. Dan Bassett View Post
    . . .This thread and the one over at supergay proves the value of the project. Think of all the conversations that can be initiated at the foot of Robocop's likeness. Every day is a choice. Whom have you exalted today?
    Well, by that logic the Imagination Station should raise $50,000 to raise a giant middle finger in Roosevelt Park---it would also generate a lot of blog postings about
    why it's a bad idea. Matter of fact, maybe they might as well do that.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast