Quote Originally Posted by Whitehouse View Post
Great pic!!

Nice to know this old lady is still among us. What was that 1974 building next door?
I found a 1916 Guide to Detroit [[published by the Detroit News) online. [[Decent photos, too.) I don't know if I have my N/S/E/W right, but a quote from the guide is as follows:

"Fort Street, east and west, crosses the city just south of the City Hall. Fort Street, West begins at Woodward Avenue. Once one of the most desirable residence streets in the city, it is now entirely business property. Here are many large residences used for business. Among them are the homes of the late Gen. Russell A. Alger, Secretary of War under McKinley, Hon. H.P. Baldwin, Hon. Zachariah Chandler, Secretary of the Interior under Grant.

"In the first block, there are many ticket offices, the Hammond Building and the City Hall. The Moffat Building and the Dime Bank Building are at the corners of Griswold Street. Many of the new buildings have basement lunchrooms. In the Dime Bank Building with an entrance on Fort Street or through the Dime Savings Bank is a large and well furnished restaurant with shining steam tables, patronized particularly by business men and women. Like other parts of the building these rooms are luxuriously finished and well-lighted. In this block are also the Penobscot Building, the Peninsular and the People's State Banks. In the next block are the Detroit Trust Company Building and the Post Office."
- Guide to Detroit [[1916) http://books.google.com/books?id=ZJz...page&q&f=false