Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

My paternal grandmother's name was Leona McKenna. Her father, James, was a butcher, and the son of an Irish couple that immigrated to Canada in the 1850s. Her mom, Caroline, was the child of an English couple who also immigrated to Canada during that same period. James came to the U.S. [[Detroit, specifically) in 1886, and Caroline four years later.

They were a Catholic family who had seven children [[5 girls/2 boys), of whom my grandmother was the fifth. I'm not sure what parish they belonged to early on, but eventually they were parishioners at Saint Leo on Grand River, from where my dad's folks were married in 1925.

The address I find in the 1910 U.S. Census for the McKennas’ is at 855 15th Street. This is prior to the street address renumbering of the early 1920s, so I'm not exactly sure where this was. I'm guessing it was along a no longer existent stretch of 15th St south of MCS. I suppose they could have belonged to Ste Anne's, St Vincent de Paul's, or Most Holy Trinity. By 1928, the Polk Directory has them at 3562 Moore Place, just a couple blocks west of the old [[though new at that time) Olympia.
    Last edited by JLeurck; February-12-11 at 02:07 AM.