Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Your First Job

Grocery bagger at Hollywood Supermarket in Troy. It was my first and only union job. I was making minimum wage which was $5.15. The management there sucked, they were all dinosaurs that never changed their ways. They knew I was very replaceable, and I was treated as such. I quit after three months and went over to K-Mart. Stayed at K-Mart for nine months and then moved over to Walmart for nearly three years.

Walmart paid me the most, by far. I was making $10.50 an hour when I left in 2003.

I think my first job was selling the Emergency Press during the 9 month paper strike at the corner of Grand River and Oakman in 1968. I was about 14 and somehow lost money on that gig. Then I was music librarian for the all city band at Cass Tech. That meant setting up and storing chairs and stands for rehearsals. Oh yeah and passing out the music. It's the first thing listed on my soc sec statement.

1965 went to work part-time for the Detroit Public Library, don't recall the wage. In 1967 the GTW Railroad was looking for switchhmen, the pay was $3.25/hour. Later I moved on to other jobs, too many to list.

Stinger

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6