I started a thread similar to this before, but it didn't really take off the way I wanted it to. So, I decided to map out what neighborhoods each of my 15 friends live in: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en...4e9c35691ddd57

Of my 15 friends who live in the city, everyone in the group is between the ages of 22-30. The group includes a mix of races, but is predominately white. Most live in lofts or apartments and are renters. Only 1 person owns a condo. 14/15 either went to school in Detroit, work in Detroit, or both. 10/14 were born and raised in Metro Detroit. 2 are from another country, 1 is a transplant from the East Coast, and 1 is a transplant from the South West. Only 5 are females [[however, I don't have many female friends since I'm in a relationship ). 14/15 have a bachelor's degree or higher. Less than half have roommates or live with a significant other. None are currently married. Only one has kids [[that I know of!).

I did not include acquaintances, which would bring the total up to around 25-30 city dwellers. I also didn't include friends who did live in Detroit, but have since moved out-of-state, which would add 3 more to downtown and 1 more to Lafayette Park. I also didn't include friends in inner-ring suburbs, but there are at least 8 who live in East Dearborn, Ferndale, Royal Oak, or the Grosse Pointes. Surprisingly, I do not have any friends in Corktown or Woodbridge, so those areas are unrepresented on my map, in addition to many other solid neighborhoods.

The whole point of this is to see where young people are living in the city, and consequently, to determine the best neighborhoods for young people looking to move to Detroit. In answering this question, consider these factors that would make a neighborhood desireable:

• Safest
  • Nicest housing options
  • Most walkable
  • Best bars and restuarants
  • Proximity to entertainment and nightlife
  • Proximity to cultural and educational institutions
  • Proximity to planned or existing mass transit
  • Proximity to groceries
  • Trendiest areas
  • Most interesting

I think these are among the factors that most young people consider when looking for a place in the city. Personally, I like downtown, but could see myself in many other neighborhoods.

So, if you were a young person moving to Detroit, where would you live and why?