Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

DetroitDad Guest

It's not so much a guilt trip, as the reality that some of the past actions are still affecting the decisions of today.

I think that Detroit grew and prospered because people came and/or invested here because of above average wages and above average returns on investment. This is the reason people would come to our bad winter weather and try to make it.

Whenever our financial returns have regressed towards the mean, we have had bad times and sad people. When we have rebounded, we have had a boom. We have been having a very bad patch overall which has hurt our heart and our structure, as many people have had to leave and many entities have closed or downsized. There is the hope that recovery will be prolonged and stable.

The statement is clear:

The people who lived in cities will change its neighborhoods, Downtowns, ethnic communities, industries and regional employments.

Detroit fell in population, industry and ethnicity due to these things:

1. SEGREGATION

2. SUBURBAN DEVELOPMENT

3. WHITE FLIGHT

4. ECONOMIC FLIGHT

5. VIOLENT CRIME

6. POOR SCHOOLS

7.CITY POLITICAL CORRUPTION

8.BEGINING OF BLACK MIDDLE CLASS FLIGHT

There is NO THEORY to these things because people who living their neighborhoods has experienced it. I myself has experienced and so does all of you people in this forum. So get used it. If you all want to make Detroit a better place start by cleaning up your communities, lure regional jobs, stop violent crime, create better schools, fix up vacant buildings and destroy dangerous buildings. Don't count on your leaders to clean up your mess you all make. Taking back Detroit takes community power not talk.

WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHET

So what are going to do? Be a show horse or a work horse.

Neda, I miss you so.
    Last edited by Danny; February-09-11 at 08:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rooms222 View Post
    I think that Detroit grew and prospered because people came and/or invested here because of above average wages and above average returns on investment. This is the reason people would come to our bad winter weather and try to make it.
    Interesting. I think Detroit was able to attract people for investment and above average wages because the process of mass production of automobiles was invented there. And falling in line with the theory, Detroit when the auto industry was born was a lot more conducive to "quality conversations" than it is now. Which begs the question... Could the auto industry be invented in today's Detroit? Could Motown be started in today's Detroit? K-Mart?