Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    It appears that they can only buy homes in Indian Village or Boston-Edison.

If I am reading this correctly, if you are a cop and currently renting in the City you would be disqualified. If you owned a home in another neighborhood, you would also be disqualified.

How is someone on a cop's salary going to afford the $12-$20k in taxes for one of those homes? Add to this the cost of heating and maintaining them. Add to that the cost of private school for the kiddos and you're going to be a big loser to take him up on this. I fully support getting more cops to live in Detroit, but I question the policies used in determining the areas and who gets the offers. Its almost like he thinks cops are all millionaires.
    I agree. The MAIN areas that could use cops are the frontiers, as well as some viable neighborhoods that are facing increased crime [[Rosedale Park comes to mind).

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    I agree. The MAIN areas that could use cops are the frontiers, as well as some viable neighborhoods that are facing increased crime [[Rosedale Park comes to mind).
    I completely agree. The border areas around Boston-Edison would be a perfect spot for a revitalization program. Having islands of wealthy people among extremely poor areas [[as with Indian Village) depresses property values and will ultimately eat away at the wealthy areas.

I am all for helping people out in more middle class areas, too, but I do think stablizing these and other areas that are already stable is also important.