Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by buildingsofdetroit View Post
    Does anyone know where that modern house at the 50-second mark is? I've never seen it before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKL25...layer_embedded
    Isn't that over by the golf course where Jerome Bettis's parents live? The Frank Lloyd Wright-esque house?

Damn, as I sit here 2k miles away from Motown, I just burst with pride over watching NBC Nightly News tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by LeannaM View Post
    I've never been to Detroit, but I really did like the ad. I thought it was brilliant. I'm sure it brought up some feelings of pride in Detroiters.
    What are you waiting for [[visiting)? Gotta check it out, live...

Quote Originally Posted by darwinism View Post
    Minus the politics behind the Chrysler company ..... the creatives of this commercial is top notch, even if it is done by an agency in Oregon.

I have many friends from Campbell-Ewald, BBDO, Doner and other local ad/PR agencies who have given their thumbs-ups for this piece of work.

At the end of the day, fellow creatives can relate to the quality of this commercial and aren't afraid to cross partisan lines to praise Wieden+Kennedy for a job well done.
    Ah! Thanks darwinism! I didnt know Wieden+Kennedy were behind this ad. They are the kind of agency that a client goes to when they are ready to overcome their vertigo.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Ah! Thanks darwinism! I didnt know Wieden+Kennedy were behind this ad. They are the kind of agency that a client goes to when they are ready to overcome their vertigo.
    You're very welcome, canuck.

BTW, all of DetroitYes should be going over to YouTube and Vote;

http://www.youtube.com/adblitz

After thinking about this ad all day it occurred to me that it would not be possible to make a video [[nominally an ad, but it comes off mainly as a love-for-Detroit video) like this about almost any other city. New Orleans, OK. New York, the "Windy City" [[so named for the hot air coming from its inhabitants if I am not mistaken), San Francisco, Boston, Dallas, Atlanta - absolutely not. Philly, Cleveland, Buffalo, maybe. And in some ways the best part of this ad is all the things it makes me think of that weren't in it that I love about Detroit - the coneys, the bakeries, weird rummage sales on Gr. River, the woman who offered to do my girls' hair for free [[and did), the guy at the immigration office on Mt. Elliott who went out of his way to help me out. And don't forget La Gloria.

DetroitDad Guest

Attachment 8776

Here's a picture I took of the Fox Theater marque in passing. I have no issues with it's use for non-commercial purposes. It could make a nice Facebook avatar. The crews were filming on January 6th, 2011. Oddly, the sidewalk in front of the Fox was not closed, and it was possible to just walk by the crews working. There was no Eminem yet, but they did have all the lighting and other equipment positioned and on, with the car on scene.

In 24 hours... 2.2 million YOUTUBE hits and climbing...

>>>>>> Remember we are dealing with 50 years of negative perceptions, many of which continue [[rightfully, some would say). The ad wasn't funny and didn't have any animals or pop culture icons, so your average middle American just wouldn't get it.

I think that is exactly why the focus groups would not have liked the ad much. Many people have nothing but bad images in their minds about American cars. Many of my friends on the coasts have never had an American car, and there is a great deal of peer pressure not to have one [[especially if foreign born), I have found. In the Great Lakes states, the Big 3 have so much more market share than in the rest of the country we often do not fully realize the impact.

It is important to remember that cars are sold by segmentation of the market. There really is no more mass market in new cars. The key thing is to get a segment that is willing and able to buy a new car to go out and buy it. Recently, it seems like the Sebring mostly sold to Rent a Car companies and Chrysler Employees, not your most lucrative markets. If the 200 can get traction with a new-car buying segment, it could be a success. With higher gas prices, smaller luxury cars are an important class of car. Style can still sell the right product. Let's hope this is a winner.

Most of the people in our country never buy a new car, or they do maybe once or twice in a lifetime. Saturn was an attempt to catch the mass middle, and it was only a partial success, even with a very reliable product. Exciting a group of people that can and will buy your new product is key. Chrysler [[or any car company) should not mind that their ads are polarizing as long as a segment ends up wanting the car.....

As a Detroiter[[never an ex-Detroiter) living in the Dallas area
    I was delighted with the commercial. I grew up on the
    northwest side[[Fenkell btwn Schaeffer&Meyers) & went to
    college downtown at D.I.T. Used to walk past the Fox every
    day but never got around to going in. It was in its seedy state
    by the mid-sixties. I got a kick seeing the inside of it on tv. Just wish people could have seen how amazing the rebirth
    of this old palace was. I tell my friends here how you could
    drive downtown-go through a tunnel & be in a different
    country. Can't do that in Dallas. As a guy who learned how to drive on his dad's new 1955 Chrysler Windsor Deluxe
    I have a lot of respect for Chrysler engineering. I'm going
    to get in my 2008 Chrysler Sebring convertible[[black over
    black) put in my Tempts cd & go for a drive now. Kudos to
    producers of the commercial.

WESOME....IT was greared.... pride

Orthophonic, maybe you'll like this:
    http://vimeo.com/15550933

lincoln8740 Guest

Oh god, Rochelle "the worst writer in Detroit" Riley has chimed in. Talk about ruining the fun with crappy dribble.

It seems the only people who have a negative reaction are the cons. Yesterday, the clown filling in for Rush compared Detroit to Baghdad, blamed all Detroit's problems on liberals, unions, and the usual b.s.

These sort of folks want to see the car companies fail because they are scared that if they are successful, they will have egg on their face in light of their opposition to the government loans.

Props to Chrysler for one of the best commercials ever.
    Last edited by Detroitej72; February-08-11 at 09:03 AM.

The Detroit News has a nice article on the ad.

If anything, Chrysler was unprepared for its success. Olivier Francois, head of marketing and the Chrysler brand, wasn't even in the United States Sunday.
    "We had no idea it would generate this kind of frenzy," said spokeswoman Dianna Gutierrez, who said she was receiving calls, texts and e-mails from strangers.
    "It made a positive impact on a national level based on feedback so far."
    The ad already is proving its value.
    The automotive research site Edmunds.com reported that online traffic checking out the Chrysler brand shot up 328 percent in the hours after the commercial aired, including a spike of more than 1600 percent for the Chrysler 200.
    For the rest of the article: http://www.detnews.com/article/20110...-with-risky-ad

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    Well, all I can say is that Don Draper couldn't have done any better.

Bulllshit. Draper would've taken one look at that ad, fired up a Lucky, rattled the ice in his empty glass and said through clenched teeth, "I don't understand -- are you trying to make people feel good about Detroit, or are you trying to convince them to buy a luxury Chrysler? And celebrity endorsements are lazy."

Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post
    Was the ad effective? Let's take a look:

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/02/07...umbles/?hpt=C1

People forget that Google is a for-profit company, and this is a very dangerous precedent.

The article says this:

"Chrysler 200" scored as the top search in Google on Monday morning due largely to a gritty commercial featuring Eminem and his hit "Lose Yourself."
    How do we know Chrysler didn't pay Google to figure out a way to make their product be the most-searched item? Companies pay Google to do that sort of thing, you know.

I'm sorry, but I just don't buy it. Maybe for two minutes Monday morning, when a bunch of Google employees were instructed to search for "Chrysler 200," it was the most-searched item.

But common sense: Think of all the people both in the US and across the world who were likely searching for "blonde milfs."

As I said, people's attitude toward Google is setting a dangerous precedent. A whole lot of folks think if something doesn't exist on Google -- if I can't provide a link -- then it never existed. Keeping in mind that Google is a FOR PROFIT COMPANY, that's goddamned scary.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    It was a well shot ad that tugged at some heartstrings and had a positive message, but basically it's a Mitch Albom article in that it was written by someone who primarily lives elsewhere and the content may or may not actually be true, but the masses love it because it's heavy on the nostalgic schmaltz and light on the reality.

You're my new friend. You nailed it. People cried? Over a frigging car commercial? [[Or they're saying they cried, which is just as mauldlin.)

Quote Originally Posted by Pushtina View Post
    It's made at the Sterling Heights Assembly Plant.

Yeah, but filming the Chrysler 200 stopping and going through the Roundabout, and then speeding past the Burger King wouldn't have made for a good commercial.

How do we know Chrysler didn't pay Google to figure out a way to make their product be the most-searched item? Companies pay Google to do that sort of thing, you know
    No, I don't. How could Google force people to enter a search term? It doesn't even make sense. Google could misrepresent what people are searching for, but unless you have some evidence that they do that, I think it unlikely.

Default Wow!

As a former Detroiter, and UAW local 51 member [[Lynch Road Assembly) I was awestruck. I yelled at those around me to see the different shots of the city. Those dramatic shots, the positive attitude, the "imported from Detroit" tag line...all made me so proud!

Because I haven't lived in the city since the 70s, I rarely posted on this side of DetroitYes. I used to regularly post as a "Colbert Conservative" on non-Detroit issues. But after the Super Bowl ad, I thought I'd come back and see what was being said over here. Nice job Chrysler. Go Motor City!

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    No, I don't. How could Google force people to enter a search term? It doesn't even make sense.
    If Google got 10 employees to all search for "Chrysler 200" at the exact same time at some point Monday morning, then technically they could say that for an unspecified period of time, "Chrysler 200" was the most searched-for item.

I don't know if that's what happened in this case, but I tend to be skeptical of what huge corporations tell me. Same goes for politicians and government in general. I feel I'm on pretty safe ground by being skeptical. If you aren't....well, then good for you.

Google could misrepresent what people are searching for, but unless you have some evidence that they do that, I think it unlikely.
    Stop and think about the definition of the word "unlikely" for a minute.

Google is a huge for-profit corporation? Check.

Google is a trusted source for millions of people worldwide. Check.

Google has access to critical information about people's hopes, dreams, fears, sexual fantasies -- all things that would be valuable to companies trying to sell stuff. Check.

Chrysler wants to create buzz about their Super Bowl ad. Check.

This sort of thing is fairly common: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_bombing *. Check.

Stop me when I get to the part about it being unlikely.

* I got this link by searching Bing!

I'm sorry, but I just don't buy it. Maybe for two minutes Monday morning, when a bunch of Google employees were instructed to search for "Chrysler 200," it was the most-searched item.
    Looks like your conspiracist angle isn't holding up too well. From today's Wall Street Journal--

http://blogs.wsj.com/drivers-seat/20...hrysler-video/

Mr. Houdini Guest

Serious question: what about that commercial made Detroiters feel pride? Was there something in there that I missed, something one would feel proud of?

Quote Originally Posted by GUSHI View Post
    It was sick, "Imported from Detroit"
    I live in PA. and joke that I'm a foreigner from Detroit..it's not sick. Also, the commercial is being promoted on Yahoo mail's home page.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast