Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    NorthEndere Guest

An international bridge shouldn't be given the name of a person, in my opinion. Then again, I'm not much a fan of naming any kind of transit infrastructure after a single individual unless they are undeniably and greatly revered.

I really like Detroit River International Crossing, to be honest. I'm a big fan of geographical/topographical/historical place names or names after abstract ideas/principles. DRIC, Downriver, Delray, Straits International/International Straits all do it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingnatic View Post
    I like '' Freedom Bridge '' as a name , it would honor both nations , our longtime International Freedom Festival between our Nations , and would most definately honor Canada for providing a safe haven for runaway slaves via the underground railroad
    I like the reasoning behind the name, unfortunately certain politicos have so misused the term that it would render the name meaningless

How much are they[[we) going to have to pay that guy to eminent domain his property at the DRIC? Or can it be slightly turned so there is no problem with him? This is the thought that scares me..

Quote Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
    Since we are going to name the bridge after an athlete, why not Bob Probert? From Windsor, played in Detroit, it makes sense!
    Cause he was a coke-head, bless his soul.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Yes Ford Corp. did pay for the naming rights to Ford Field... but it was a win win for the William Clay Ford's [[Sr. & Jr.)... since the family name got on the stadium anyway.
    One of the cheapest modern professional stadium naming rights deals to date. $1M per year for 40 Years... Comerica Park, by comparison is $2.2M a year. Others are cheaper, but most of them weren't signed this millennium.

...whatever happens, with the name, The DRIC project can go further than currently planned. Designers of the bridge and crossing area should incorporate a light-rail train to go over the bridge, either through the center or along the periphery. Incorporating a light-rail train into the bridge will allow for pedestrians to go from Detroit to Windsor, Ontario and back, whether for work, for business, for school, or recreation and tourism.

Having a rail component built into the bridge will lessen the burden on the car and truck traffic that will already be intense once the bridge is completed and available for public use. U.S. Homeland Security and the Canadian equivalent would have full authority for incorporating comprehensive security measures. Having a rail line as a part of the bridge can only increase economic prosperity for not only Michigan but Windsor, Ontario/Canada. Funding can be sought from corporate and individual donations; outreach could be done for collaborative partners, as this bridge would indeed be a beacon of multinational trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    ...whatever happens, with the name, The DRIC project can go further than currently planned. Designers of the bridge and crossing area should incorporate a light-rail train to go over the bridge, either through the center or along the periphery. Incorporating a light-rail train into the bridge will allow for pedestrians to go from Detroit to Windsor, Ontario and back, whether for work, for business, for school, or recreation and tourism.

Having a rail component built into the bridge will lessen the burden on the car and truck traffic that will already be intense once the bridge is completed and available for public use. U.S. Homeland Security and the Canadian equivalent would have full authority for incorporating comprehensive security measures. Having a rail line as a part of the bridge can only increase economic prosperity for not only Michigan but Windsor, Ontario/Canada. Funding can be sought from corporate and individual donations; outreach could be done for collaborative partners, as this bridge would indeed be a beacon of multinational trade.
    Oh, that's a great idea... let's have the train go 10 miles out of it's way to get people across the river... a ferry system would be more viable than this possibility... From downtown Detroit down to where the bridge would be then back to downtown Windsor, it would end up being nearly a 10 mile trip... the cost of that light rail line would amount to nearly the same cost of M-1 rail, which I am estimating based purely on being the same distance, which is nearly $500m. Even use of Ambassador Bridge infrastructure would be a stretch, it is just too far out of the way, laying all of that rail and having enough substations to power it becomes costly in a hurry.

NorthEndere Guest

Forget lightrail on the bridge, let's just get some sidewalks and bike lanes on this thing, for goodness sake, and some kind of seemless international Amtrak/VIA service back for long-distsance travelers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2