I understand this in principle.

Safety, upkeep and blight regulations require owners of properties to obey them and keep up their properties. In certain circumstances, where public safety is at stake, periodic inspections are requires. If defects are found violations are issued. Owners may correct the violations within a set time and, if not, pay a fine and face other legal remedies.

I don't understand it in practice.

I witness properties owned by people with immense wealth [See the thread Speculators, investors or vultures? Detroit land owners.] that sit as blighted rotting, unsecured public safety hazards, some for decades.

Focusing solely on business properties, I ask the forum how does this happen? I know that each situation is unique and there are extenuating circumstances regarding ownership vagaries, but that can't explain more than a few situations.

What is defective with the building code system that allows this wide-spread scoff law culture to continue?

If the system is simply overwhelmed and easy to delay by clogging the courts? Are there not remedies by the state? How can this be fixed? How would you fix it?