Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

As of yesterday, we still had some unplowed streets in Warrendale. My boyfriends car got stuck while we were on the way to school yesterday... he had to have it towed.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbob View Post
    We attended the Fisher Theatre tonight [[pretheatre dinner at Cuisine) and 2nd Blvd, Third, Lothrop, Milwaukee etc. had not been cleaned...frankly I was amazed how bad things were...based on the New Center, I hate to think what the neighborhoods must be like.
    Wow, I was in the city way earlier in the day [[ back home by 3pm ) I don't remember any main arterys that had not been plowed. Actually by mid afternoon most main streets were just very wet, some snow off to the sides not where traffic drove.

I was really shocked how well the city handled this storm, it was the best response to snow I've ever seen from Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    Was it your city or your association that plowed the sidewalk. I highly doubt the city did and seeing how you are mister higher up on your association I suspect that you [[a) live in a condo or [[b) live in a sub with an association. In either case I'm willing to bet your association took care of the sidewalks.
    GPs all do the city sidewalks. I do not live in a condo or HOA street. There are a few private streets between jefferson and the lake that pay a fee as they are HOAs, but the public streets and sidewalks in the GPs are all done by the cities.

Quote Originally Posted by Popcanman55 View Post
    As for plowing the streets in Detroit they only make one pass down the middle of the street they do not plow curb to curb. Mine was cleaned curb to curb 3 times during and after the storm......... but then again I own my own snowplow
    The streets are plowed to the curb in my neighborhood. I didn't see the trucks that did it, but my sister told me she read the city was hiring contractors to do the plowing. Contractors were mowing Heilman this summer and I'd never seen it look as good over the past 50 years.

I don't remember there ever being any kind of regular plowing. I believe some side streets are or at least were designated as emergency routes and they may get salted and/or plowed, but in general the snow stayed there. I remember this quite clearly because I rode my bike to deliver papers and to go to school, and I did it on unplowed streets.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    Was it your city or your association that plowed the sidewalk. I highly doubt the city did and seeing how you are mister higher up on your association I suspect that you [[a) live in a condo or [[b) live in a sub with an association. In either case I'm willing to bet your association took care of the sidewalks.
    It was my city...city employees driving little green John Deere tractors. Oh, I forgot, later in the day a crew diving a pickup loaded with salt and shovels went around salting the sidewalk ramps at each intersection and cleared any buried fire hydrants. The city also plowed the municipal parking lots in the commercial district.

DetroitPole Guest

Why THE HELL is this a pissing contest between everybody's city over how quickly their streets are plowed? Are people now overcompensating for something else by bragging about how gold-plated their city services are?
    The city and suburbs [[or suburbs and suburbs, apparently) will never get along with this "my dad can beat up your dad" mentality. Your city plowed your street as soon as the last flake fell, good for you, did they wipe your ass for you too?
    My street was plowed and so were the arterials I take to work. I have no complaints about my navigation or my city's response to the snowstorm.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPole View Post
    Your city plowed your street as soon as the last flake fell, good for you, did they wipe your ass for you too?
    My city DID plow my street near around the last snowflake falling, & they should wipe my ass for the amount of property taxes I pay. I think snow removal is a basic service that should be provided by any city.

Quote Originally Posted by epiphany View Post
    As of yesterday, we still had some unplowed streets in Warrendale. My boyfriends car got stuck while we were on the way to school yesterday... he had to have it towed.
    I was around there this morning. Only Grandville looked decent.

If this is still going I will post and maybe kill it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    I haven't seen a snow plow ANYWHERE out here in Las Vegas. What am I missing?
    Just water.

Please put this thread out of its misery [[and ours)

I sure hope this ends it.

I saw two feet of snow in Royal Oak yesterday.

Name:  2 Feet of Snow.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  32.6 KB

....Fini....

A salt truck came down my block again today. In fact, it went down the street once then went back towards the direction it came from.

I do live in a neighborhood of the city BTW.

All streets in Ferndale were plowed by 10:30ish Wednesday morning. My street, which is one of the last ones plowed, was plowed by 12:00pm today.

I was lucky enuff as a student driver to not have the luxury of plowed streets in the City of Detroit.My Mom, Uncle, and Grandpa made sure that I did my share of winter driving. As I recall and have pictures to prove it. The only time the city did anything with the side streets till recently, Which I can't tell since I don't live in Detroit was that big snow storm back in 78. Otherwise it was up to you to take care of it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3