Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

That was sarcasm - slightly - not anger. When I'm angry I don't post here at all.

You wouldn't like me when I'm angry.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    One question, will the transit authorities be taking a stand against disorderly conduct and excessive panhandling at the new transit center, similar to how things are handled at Campus Martius Park?
    There is going to be a police mini-station at the terminal.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by professorscott View Post
    Oh, make lemonade already. Let's try to convince the gang-bangers to paint the route numbers in tag format; that way they get what they want and we get a benefit as well.

I'm surprised their isn't a gang-tag font available from Microsoft or something. Or is there and I'm just not finding it?
    Not from Microsoft, but graffiti fonts will get you a few likely candidates.

http://www.graffitifonts.com/

Even better, this site:

http://www.dafont.com/theme.php?cat=606
    Last edited by Stosh; June-11-09 at 03:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
    Not from Microsoft, but graffiti fonts will get you a few likely candidates.

http://www.graffitifonts.com/

Even better, this site:

http://www.dafont.com/theme.php?cat=606
    I was just going to post those, Stosh. You beat me to it.

6/6/209

Attachment 1689

Default Some pics of RPTC

The canopy should be fully up now. The center will open July 14. I'll definitely be there when it does. I have some more pics.

detmich Guest

Downtown diva Guest

The seventh and last canopy section of the Rosa Parks Transit Center is now in place. I guess this means that things are about to start happening, ...and quickly! Expect for an Employee Appreciation Day and an Open House to precede the July 14th Grand Opening.

Also, according to the DDOT web-site www.RideDetroitTransit.com, all routes currently ending at Capitol Park and Grand Circus Park will end at the new transit center effective July 14, 2009. As a result, both the #7 Cadillac-Harper and #25 Jefferson lines will no longer travel to Grand Circus Park, but rerouted directly to the transit center.

However, three downtown routes [[#38 Plymouth, #47 Tireman and #76 Hayes Ltd.) will not be assigned to one of the 15 bus bays located on the center property, but will instead board passengers along bordering streets, either along Grand River or Cass.

shout out form the rooftops!

I drove by yesterday and there were "Training Coaches" going into the different bays... must be drivers practicing for the opening.

Tuesday, July 7, 2009
    DDOT: Rosa Parks Transit Center to open Monday

Tom Greenwood / The Detroit News

Detroit -- The Detroit Department of Transportation will open the Rosa Parks Transit Center in downtown Detroit on Monday.

The $22.5 million center -- located at Michigan and Cass -- will serve passengers riding DDOT, SMART, Transit Windsor and Detroit People Mover.

From the new transit center, patrons can connect to 20 DDOT routes from a single location, with routes including: Cadillac-Harper, Chene, Dexter, Fort, Hamilton, Hayes, Grand River, Jefferson, Joy, Linwood, Michigan and Mack. More are: Oakland, Plymouth, Russell, Tireman, Vernor, Van Dyke, Vernor and Woodward.

Open 24 hours a day, the three-story facility will offer 15 bus bays, two taxi bays, restrooms, transfer services, retail areas, transit police offices and a Detroit Police Department mini-station. The project was funded through federal and state grants.
    tgreenwood@detnews.com [[313) 222-2023

The $22.5 million center -- located at Michigan and Cass -- will serve passengers riding DDOT, SMART, Transit Windsor and Detroit People Mover.
    22.5 Million....really!?!

DetroitDad Guest

Default Grand Opening

Attachment 2319

Picture from yesterday. I haven't needed to ride the bus just yet, but did get to walk through the transit center, it's nice and feels safe.

Anyone know what the Cleveland RTA 60 ft double length bus with accordion connectors was doing at the Rosa Parks Transit center today around 11:30 AM?
    The forward route display was blank but the 4 digit lower number was 53xx.

The bus looked like this: http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2008/10/euc.html
    These buses require enhanced stations to operate out of. I speculate that DDOT maybe considering switching from light rail to BRT for Woodward and this was a test to see if these buses could operate in Rosa Parks. These buses can do both curb and median stations. It would be nice if Detroit copied a successful model from someone else instead of experimenting.

Now I wonder how long until Capitol Park gets revamped?

Drove by on my way into work this morning.... the site looked clean, with new streetlights and paper boxes along Cass. Buses were in the bays, which are along the People Mover tracks. Looking forward to walking through there sometime soon to check out the facility.

Bearinabox Guest

As a place to wait for a bus at night, it beats the hell out of Capitol Park. Which is good, because the bus I was waiting for was almost 45 minutes late. I guess we have to start somewhere...
    Last edited by Bearinabox; July-16-09 at 09:25 PM.

I did a little look-see at how the deeply embedded bus patrons of Capitol Park were faring. It seems the true "residents" have been separated from the transit users. In defense of bus patrons, I'd gladly trade in rickety bus shelters and riff-raff for heat, air conditioning, food/restroom amenities, a police presence, and a very sharp looking facility.

I'd love to see a streetcar/LRT loop that incorporated this station! IMHO it would get real busy around Times Square, [[R.P.T.C.).

I hope plans to refurbish Capitol Park along the lines of Campus Maritus in scope and quality happen soon...

As of last night, all of the bus shelters have been removed from Capitol Park and the CleanDetroit folks were sweeping it up this morning. It was nice to bike through and see a clean, serene park.

EastSider Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ScienceFair View Post
    As of last night, all of the bus shelters have been removed from
    Quote Originally Posted by ScienceFair View Post
    CapitolPark and the CleanDetroit folks were sweeping it up this morning. It was nice to bike through and see a clean, serene park.

How’d it smell? I hope the Clean Detroit people took a fire hose to that funk.

Quote Originally Posted by Russix View Post
    Anyone know what the Cleveland RTA 60 ft double length bus with accordion connectors was doing at the Rosa Parks Transit center today around 11:30 AM?
    The forward route display was blank but the 4 digit lower number was 53xx.

The bus looked like this: http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2008/10/euc.html
    These buses require enhanced stations to operate out of. I speculate that DDOT maybe considering switching from light rail to BRT for Woodward and this was a test to see if these buses could operate in Rosa Parks. These buses can do both curb and median stations. It would be nice if Detroit copied a successful model from someone else instead of experimenting.
    That was the 60-foot long "articulated" low-floor bus built by New Flyer Industries, which had visited the DDOT administration offices earlier that morning. The three-door coach was on its way for delivery to Cleveland's RTA, but first stopped by DDOT offices for viewing by DDOT officials and employees. DDOT is about to order 100 additional coaches from New Flyer, so I'm sure representatives from that company wanted the folks at DDOT to inspect the coach for possible future consideration. As you mentioned, I'm sure it went through the RPTC to see if a 60-foot long bus could operate through the center built primarily for 40-foot coaches. I couldn't tell you how successful the test went.

The last time "artic" buses ran in Detroit was from 1989 through 1999.

BTW Russix, if I recall correctly, one aspect of a proposed DDOT Five-Year Service Plan does call for securing funding for BRT [[Bus Rapid Transit) service within the Gratiot corridor, not along Woodward. That could be one reason for DDOT viewing the 60-ft coach.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5