Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by detmich View Post
    Exactly, it won't rip in the wind. It won't collapse on the waiting buses and passengers when it fills with snow in the winter, but it will still be standing another 40 years from now.
    Well, gosh, I sure hope none of that happens! As much as I deride its design, I hope nobody gets hurt or killed like that.

LOL. Detroitnerd, your ignorance is hilarious!

Just because you don't like the asthetics of the structure, doesn't mean its a faulty design. And what is "traditional" anyway? Should we be building in the Federal style? Second Empire? Greek Revivial? Beaux Arts? Art Deco? Modern? Post-Modern?

Also, how is this a "temporary" structure. Last time I checked the terminal is about as "brick-and-morter" as it gets. The design element with which you have an issue [[the shade canopy) was chosen for its open, airy nature aside from the striking design. It was designed to protect the transit users from the elements, but keep it from feeling dark and stuffy. Afterall, would you rather wait for a bus in a dark, noisy, smelly, polluted garage or a light, open, breezy plaza?

Thanks for the sophistry, Hud.

Hi pot, I'm kettle!

It's not the aesthetics that will spell the doom of the canopies. It is the fact that that corner is exposed to great wind gusts that will rip those canopies to shreds. The fact that it ripped in exactly one day does not bode well for the design.

Quote Originally Posted by Gertrude View Post
    It's not the aesthetics that will spell the doom of the canopies. It is the fact that that corner is exposed to great wind gusts that will rip those canopies to shreds. The fact that it ripped in exactly one day does not bode well for the design.
    Regardless of what you think of the aesthetic, the bus terminal is required to be designed to resist wind and snow loads specified in the building code. So let's stop the panic about its perceived structural inadequacy and get back to bitching about the appearance.

detmich Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    Regardless of what you think of the aesthetic, the bus terminal is required to be designed to resist wind and snow loads specified in the building code. So let's stop the panic about its perceived structural inadequacy and get back to bitching about the appearance.

Didn't work today Treeofheaven, why will it work all winter?

We don't even know what caused the damage. Do you honestly think the engineers would design a canopy that can't stand up to a small thunderstorm? The damage probably occured because it wasn't fully installed before the storm hit.

detmich Guest

Quote Originally Posted by hudkina View Post
    We don't even know what caused the damage. Do you honestly think the engineers would design a canopy that can't stand up to a small thunderstorm? The damage probably occured because it wasn't fully installed before the storm hit.
    In my opinion it is likely that there is so much corruption and graft involved in this project, from inception to completion, that any number of deficiencies will come to light over the next year. Some will be big deals, like the tarps failing under load. Some will be small deals, like people freezing their asses off waiting for buses in the "airy, open space" that is RPTC.

We shall see Grasshopper, we shall see.

The person responsible for approvals on the design was the same guy who approved Cass Tech's new football field [[just a wee bit short).

Quote Originally Posted by Gertrude View Post

The same could be said for the 3 riverfront constructions. I don't see them blowing away. Wind during installation versus wind during final construction is two different things. The structure has to be designed much higher wind loads when its properly installed.

Why is everyone so negative towards new construction. this will be a nice addition to the area...and it won't look like just some shed for busses. Its unique and yes different, and while everyone is entiled to an opinion, I think they should wait until its finished and they haved used it to make a judgement on how not so great they think it is. But thats my opinon, I guess. sheesh.

In my opinion it is likely that there is so much corruption and graft involved in this project, from inception to completion, that any number of deficiencies will come to light over the next year. Some will be big deals, like the tarps failing under load. Some will be small deals, like people freezing their asses off waiting for buses in the "airy, open space" that is RPTC.

We shall see Grasshopper, we shall see.

Or you can wait inside the station. There is supposed to be a monitor or audio notification that your bus has arrived [[or is extremely late...as usual).

Retroit Guest

I'm surprised at the negative reation toward the canopy. I still can't get the image of Marilyn Monroe out of my head!

http://www.coolmarketingthoughts.com/images/monroe.jpg

Lorax Guest

It will be interesting to see if the city is able to keep people from tossing their trash up there- those canopies will be dirty in less than a year, and they won't be replaced, just eventually taken down.

Riiiight, the huge problem of people tossing trash on the canopy, just like all the trash on the canopy at chene park or the riverwalk. And look how dirty those are, they are nearly black with dirt. I hear a guard will be stationed who will watch for people throwing their McDonald's bag on the canopy.

detmich Guest

I hope those buses are burning clean fuels and not diesel. Anyone know? It will be interesting to see how they keep the undersides clean of black diesel particulate. Just wondering.

Attachment 1203

I think the roof is cute.
    Last edited by gnome; November-12-10 at 02:17 PM.

I don't know. Maybe I'm being unfair. They're doing amazing things with plastic these days. For instance, how about those wonderfully durable streetlight shrouds they installed on 21,000 lamp posts in Detroit a few years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    I don't know. Maybe I'm being unfair. They're doing amazing things with plastic these days. For instance, how about those wonderfully durable streetlight shrouds they installed on 21,000 lamp posts in Detroit a few years ago?

LMFAO. You just made my day.

It's not that you're being unfair. It's that you hate anything that you are unfamiliar with. You're not open to new things. There are always the people who resist change, even if it is for the better. You bitch and moan about everything to the point that you come across as a miserable human being.

How about instead of whining and bitching about every possible little thing that could go wrong with this thing, you give it a chance. Let them finish the work. Let people start using it. Hell, go ahead and use it yourself. Within time, it will become familiar to you, and you'll wonder why you even cried over it in the first place.

this needs to be incorporated into the city's long-term transit plans.. connections to train stations and airports needed..

Many people are posting how these canopies look cheap, probably won't last long, or will get dirty. I don't believe any of that, however, do they look to anyone like they are going to provide protection from the rain, sun or wind?

They're there to protect people from the elements, yet they are folded up toward the sky, have a big hole in the middle, and are dozens of feet above the ground--all allowing ample opportunity for wind driven rain, snow and sun to fall on anyone waiting for the bus. That said, I'm just looking at the pictures so I could be wrong--but I'll be surprised if when we step underneath them it will actually function well as a canopy. But it might make for some cool pictures!

detmich Guest

Quote Originally Posted by scuola View Post
    Many people are posting how these canopies look cheap, probably won't last long, or will get dirty. I don't believe any of that, however, do they look to anyone like they are going to provide protection from the rain, sun or wind?

They're there to protect people from the elements, yet they are folded up toward the sky, have a big hole in the middle, and are dozens of feet above the ground--all allowing ample opportunity for wind driven rain, snow and sun to fall on anyone waiting for the bus. That said, I'm just looking at the pictures so I could be wrong--but I'll be surprised if when we step underneath them it will actually function well as a canopy. But it might make for some cool pictures!
    Yeah, that wind driven sun is a killer.
    Last edited by detmich; May-16-09 at 05:23 AM. Reason: stupid mistake

Yeah, that wind driven sun is a killer.
    LMAO...it took me a minute to get that...lol

DetroitDad Guest

This style of construction has been used repeatedly in the real world. It's not a prototype. It wouldn't take much to measure wind speeds in the former Time Square before construction. They know what this type of structure can handle. Of course, they could just build a nice new building on the Gaslight block. That should add some extra protection.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast