Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

DetroitDad Guest

Default Rosa Parks Transit Center Getting Her Canopy

They're putting it up as we speak. I'll take some pictures after work tonight.

Jeez. What'd it take, 2 years to put up a three-story building and some outdoor canopies?

I sure as heck hope the city doesn't plan to se this same contractor ever again.
    Last edited by artds; May-12-09 at 02:27 PM.

Cooooool. Those canopies were contracted for $5.5M. I wonder how long they're gonna take to get all of em up? It's quite a lot...

What is the function of the canopies? Decoration or do they have an actual purpose?

Also, is this only a DDOT bus terminal, or will it serve coach buses as well?

What I want to know is this:

Who was the bonehead who didn't consider connecting the BUS TERMINAL to the PEOPLE MOVER?!

I think its pretty much right next to the People Mover's Times Square and Michigan stops.

Quote Originally Posted by andylinn View Post
    What I want to know is this:

Who was the bonehead who didn't consider connecting the BUS TERMINAL to the PEOPLE MOVER?!

Don't forget, the people mover isn't operated by DDOT.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    What is the function of the canopies? Decoration or do they have an actual purpose?

Also, is this only a DDOT bus terminal, or will it serve coach buses as well?
    In addition to their aesthetic value, I think their purpose is to keep rain/snow/sun rays off of the passengers while they're waiting for and boarding the buses

I sure hope these aren't the same type of canopies that were put on top of the Phoenix Amphitheater in Pontiac...ho ho ho...

Arrrr Mateys! What scallywag shall we get to swap der' decks!?

:P

Its not bad looking, i'm all for buildings with a little synthetic character.

Retroit Guest

7 Marylin Monroes standing over subway vents.

DetroitDad Guest

More recent pictures I took about an hour ago:

Attachment 1169

Attachment 1170

Attachment 1171

Attachment 1172
    Last edited by DetroitDad; May-13-09 at 09:20 AM.

DetroitDad Guest

One question, will the transit authorities be taking a stand against disorderly conduct and excessive panhandling at the new transit center, similar to how things are handled at Campus Martius Park?
    Last edited by DetroitDad; June-11-09 at 10:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post

One question, will the transit authorities be taking a stand against disorderly conduct and excessive panhandling at the new transit center, similar to how things are handled at Campus Martius Park?
    Doubtful...are they doing that now in Capitol Park? The extra security at CMP is a private function of the conservancy and not a city service.

I drove past there last week. Do the canopies get dirty real fast? Or is dingy as hell an actual color?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    There is going to be a police mini-station at the terminal.

Dingy as hell is the actual color. Just wait, two years of diesel soot and tags [[they'll figure a way to climb up there) will really brighten it up.

Oh, make lemonade already. Let's try to convince the gang-bangers to paint the route numbers in tag format; that way they get what they want and we get a benefit as well.

I'm surprised their isn't a gang-tag font available from Microsoft or something. Or is there and I'm just not finding it?

Quote Originally Posted by professorscott View Post
    Oh, make lemonade already. Let's try to convince the gang-bangers to paint the route numbers in tag format; that way they get what they want and we get a benefit as well.

I'm surprised their isn't a gang-tag font available from Microsoft or something. Or is there and I'm just not finding it?

What's wrong Prof? I know you're not frustrated that we don't like fact that 5.5 million of our tax dollars was spent on building a canopy that is made of a fabric that is collecting dirt at an extremely fast rate? Or are you angry that the same fabric is going to be in very close proximity to the worst thing for it, diesel fumes? Whatcha mad about, huh?

That was sarcasm - slightly - not anger. When I'm angry I don't post here at all.

You wouldn't like me when I'm angry.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by professorscott View Post

Not from Microsoft, but graffiti fonts will get you a few likely candidates.

http://www.graffitifonts.com/

Even better, this site:

http://www.dafont.com/theme.php?cat=606
    Last edited by Stosh; June-11-09 at 03:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
    Not from Microsoft, but graffiti fonts will get you a few likely candidates.

http://www.graffitifonts.com/

Even better, this site:

http://www.dafont.com/theme.php?cat=606
    I was just going to post those, Stosh. You beat me to it.

6/6/209

Attachment 1689

Default Some pics of RPTC

The canopy should be fully up now. The center will open July 14. I'll definitely be there when it does. I have some more pics.

detmich Guest

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast