Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

I love Whole Foods. Haven't seen any Volvo's in the parking lots though. In fact, I haven't seen any Whole Foods with a parking lot. [[I've only been to Whole Foods in Manhattan.)

I think Meijer has done a great job of catering to the "holistic" crowd, while offering reasonable pricing for the average shopper.

BTW, I always thought the plan for that site is to maintain it as a "plaza" and in the near future build a conference center and hotel at the corner. While I guess they could technically include a "ground floor" Whole Foods, I highly doubt it would happen. I would assume the conference/hotel are at least five years off, so it would be pointless to speculate about a Whole Foods as being a part of it for now.

It's nuts to eat well as a Detroiter. Gas is high so I try not run all over town but you sorta have too... My shopping is a combination of stores including produce markets in the suburbs [[mostly Dearborn where there are many), eastern market in the city, King Coles on Clairmont, Meijers, Savalot, University Market up on WSU campus, Aldies [[once in a while) and Krogers for some specific things I get there. I also do Trader Joes and once in a while... Holiday Market in Royal Oak which is high but it is geared towards high cuisine, culinary ingredient shopper so you know that going in..... The other day I went into Walmart late at night to get a bit of food -- I wore dark shades out of shame in doing so [[smile)....

Quote Originally Posted by LodgeDodger View Post
    I do most of my grocery shopping at Whole Foods. I used to shop at Meijer, but they no longer carry what I like. Whole Foods works for us.
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-01-11 at 02:12 PM.

Yeah WF's had a few things I could not find for a while, but discovered later at Nature Food Patch... or what not. I go to Trader Joes sometimes but they too are high!

Quote Originally Posted by LodgeDodger View Post
    I do most of my grocery shopping at Whole Foods. I used to shop at Meijer, but they no longer carry what I like. Whole Foods works for us.

When I first read this I was thinking "hells no". Then I decided to pull up the census data for the zip codes in urban areas where Whole Foods has most recently committed to opening stores: Gowanus, Brooklyn and Foggy Bottom, Washington, D.C. After looking at that data, now I'm somewhere between just a flat "no" and "maybe".

The most recent data available on FactFinder for these areas is from the 2000 census, so needless to say a LOT has changed in Gowanus, Foggy Bottom and Midtown [[I used the 48202 WSU zip code).

Gowanus [[zip 11215):
    population [[2000) -- 63,001
    % of pop. with bachelors or higher -- 53%
    median family income/per capita income [[1999) -- $66,010/$32,050
    median val. of owner occupied homes [[1999) -- $436,000
    median monthly owner costs w/mort. -- $1,875
    median monthly owner cost rent -- $464

Foggy Bottom [[zip 20020)
    population [[2000) -- 49,899
    % of pop. with bachelors or higher -- 12%
    median family income/per capita income [[1999) -- $29,189/$15,401
    median val. of owner occupied homes [[1999) -- $120,000
    median monthly owner costs w/mort. -- $1,054
    median monthly owner cost rent -- $275

Midtown Detroit [[zip 48202)
    population [[2000) -- 21,870
    % of pop. with bachelors or higher -- 53%
    median family income/per capita income [[1999) -- $28,873/$13,777
    median val. of owner occupied homes [[1999) -- $67,700
    median monthly owner costs w/mort. -- $913
    median monthly owner cost rent -- $286

So clearly the stats for a Midtown location aren't' that far off from the confirmed Foggy Bottom D.C. neighborhood. Granted, the population density and lack of existing retail in the area would be a major issue, which is why I rate this rumor a weak maybe.

Whole Foods is anti worker, anti health care, and still implicated with Monsanto, HuffPo notwithstanding. [[as is Eden Foods and Stonyfield) WalMart in Uggs.

...how long has Whole Foods been around.. if they end up in Midtown, where would they locate? Would this be a smaller-scale store? what are their normal-size stores like? what type of products in general? is it mostly organic-oriented?

Quote Originally Posted by laurin View Post
    I just researched it. I'm not very happy right now.

http://foodfreedom.wordpress.com/201...s-to-monsanto/
    See my post above. Nobody "surrendered to Monsanto". The govt. sided with Monsanto and ignored input from the organics. Organic groups still plan to fight the decision.

Quote Originally Posted by oldredfordette View Post
    Whole Foods is anti worker, anti health care, and still implicated with Monsanto, HuffPo notwithstanding. [[as is Eden Foods and Stonyfield) WalMart in Uggs.
    This made me both snicker and sigh at the same time.

Oh the horror [[and irony) of it all... It's just so cool to be ANTI big-ugly-BUSINESS and 'alternative' ONLY to find out it's business as usual!!

Meet the new boss -- same as the old boss!!! This one's just wearing birkenstocks!

Thus I'd rather get my 10 lemons for a dollar at a local indy market when possible or if I go into a Walmart there's little illusion re. the set up!

Quote Originally Posted by oldredfordette View Post
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-01-11 at 03:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post

Speaking of rumors, I saw that one going around. Also not true.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/gary-h....html?ir=Green

Pam, lots and lots of ugly rumors flying around about Whole Foods ever since the head man there disrespected the ObamaCare bill that Nancy Pelosi brought down from the top of the mount engraved on stone tablets.

Whole Foods is now in the same category as Walmart, Dick Cheney, and Rush Limbaugh.

Don't want to add fuel to the fire, but I worked at WFM in Rochester around 5 years ago and the store manager Debra Dempsey told me that she was constantly pushing for a smaller scale WFM for the midtown or downtown area. Honestly, I think it'll never happen. Upper management was always unhappy with the performance of the Michigan stores.

Forget the politics, it's the prices that keep me out of Whole Foods. I won't spend a dime there until I get a whole lot more dimes. TJ's is way cheaper, and University Foods is cheaper still.

Ah-hah! So they did not tow the political line and got dissed to the deep, cavernous place of damnation known as the 'right-wing'--WF's must be horrified at the thought! ROTFL!

"Nancy Pelosi brought down from the top of the mount engraved on stone tablets..." LOL! Indeed BOW DOWN! The law been laid!! LOL!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Pam, lots and lots of ugly rumors flying around about Whole Foods ever since the head man there disrespected the ObamaCare bill that Nancy Pelosi brought down from the top of the mount engraved on stone tablets.

Whole Foods is now in the same category as Walmart, Dick Cheney, and Rush Limbaugh.
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-01-11 at 04:05 PM.

Yeah, that's the truth ruth. They are just too high. Period. I will do Trader Joes when I'm passing thru Royal Oak etc. To save on gas from going here and there, I've been going to University Foods and happy to see some of the so-called 'health food' products there. A good thing indeed!
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthofNormal View Post
    Forget the politics, it's the prices that keep me out of Whole Foods. I won't spend a dime there until I get a whole lot more dimes. TJ's is way cheaper, and University Foods is cheaper still.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    rencense, You must live in a more upscale neighborhood. The independent Whole Earth type grocery near where I live attracts Subaru station wagons with bumper stickers covering the back end. That's ok but when I get inside, everyone is acting so mellow instead of just being indifferent as in a regular grocery store. It's sort of like how people act in churches or Canada to each other. I have to try and shake off the creepy vibes when I get back outside by which time I'm grumbling about the prices anyway. Still, bless all those folks for spending their extra money on organic food instead of gas guzzlers.
    So you've met me then...

When I want Whole Foods I go to the Eastern Market.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideQT View Post
    +1 for sure

Monsanto passed an even more important bill recently. Farm policy did not change with Bush. Both rely heavily on Wall Street and Monsanto advisors.
    SB 510 ...more bad news, really bad.

I know some of the people at Organic Valley; one of the companies mentioned in Pam's article. It remains a good company and is actually farmer owned. It's organic standards are those of organic groups and not the phony organic government standards allowing cheaper competition at WalMart from agribiz. Here is it's response.
    WE STAND UNITED IN OPPOSITION TO GE ALFALFA

A few months ago, the firm did get into some criticism because it buckled under to federal demands with regard to raw milk. Organic Valley told it's supplier owners that they would lose their contracts if they sold any raw milk on the side. Some people thought that it might have been a condition of accepting stimulus money to expand their operations. I bring this up because even companies like Whole Earth get government favors that might be conditional. Whole Earth's CEO had to resign from his position, in fact, because he caused a disturbance when Obamacare was being negotiated by citing his company's health care package as a possible prototype for a national plan. His input wasn't appreciated and many customers made threats.

Monsanto seems unstoppable though. It has had it's people in the right places in government for two administrations now and it lobbies heavily. Once GE alfalfa starts polluting non-GE fields, Monsanto will be able to sue the farmers whose fields it pollutes. Evil.

edited to add:
    LodgeDodger asked: So you've met me then...
    Yeah, and you deserve extra points for the spiff 'coexist' bumper sticker with the rainbow background.
    Last edited by oladub; February-01-11 at 07:01 PM.

I, myself, think a Westborn Market would be cool. Not as pretentious as Whole Foods.

Stromberg2

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    I can't see them or anyone crushing Avalon. Avalon is the best there is and if anything Avalon would supply their bread.
    Yeah, I've actually noticed on some of the labels at my local whole foods come from area bakers.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    Yeah, and you deserve extra points for the spiff 'coexist' bumper sticker with the rainbow background.
    That wasn't me. I have a peace sign stuck on the rear, side window.

Quote Originally Posted by stromberg2 View Post
    I, myself, think a Westborn Market would be cool. Not as pretentious as Whole Foods.

Stromberg2
    I agree...

Well stated! Indeed... whole foods is not just a 'brand name'! I'd almost forgotten.... he, HEeee!
    Quote Originally Posted by EastsideQT View Post

Agreed! All of this talk takes me back to the days of the Cass Corridor Food Coop....

Quote Originally Posted by stromberg2 View Post

Stromberg2

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast