Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Is anyone else shocked that Danny was way ahead of our own weather forecasters about this one? Maybe all of his predictions for the city of Detroit over the next few decades ARE true??

Hopefully midwest cities get to plowing the streets early.

Yeah, maybe they'll plow it before it falls.

The Weather Channel? You mean the NBC news, sports, Al Roker channel with a few scattered bits of weather tossed in? Does anybody remember when it really was The Weather Channel a few years back?

This storm has been tracked for over a week now on various websites; no talking heads involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    There's a 50/50 chance.

and only a 10% probability of that.....

My neighbor pulls the snow off his porch roof with a long poll/broom thing. I wonder if I should do that? I don't want my house to go Metrodome on me. Does anybody do that?

will there be cooperation among regional governments to consistently plow snow and lay down salt/pellets? Is there still supposedly a salt shortage?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post
    My neighbor pulls the snow off his porch roof with a long poll/broom thing. I wonder if I should do that? I don't want my house to go Metrodome on me. Does anybody do that?
    It helps to keep ice dams from building up on the roof and tearing the shingles off. If you have good insulation, it's not as much of a problem as when you don't and the snow melts and refreezes because of the heat escaping from your roof.

Salt supplies are very plentiful this year. The amount of snow has little meaning when you start talking over 6-7 inches of snowfall. The wind will be the deciding factor in this storm, which isn't supposed to die down until Wednesday night. That means normal life will not return until Friday.

"The Winds of Thor are blowing c-cold !"

^^ Actually, there's a nationwide salt shortage and road departments are conserving wherever possible.

Continuous updates from Weather.com

Scroll down and click where it says "Click Here."

It isn't even snowing yet and Eastern Michigan University cancelled classes for this evening and all day tomorrow. I'm graduating in December and I think the last time I had a snow day was back in high school [[2007). Classes were cancelled only one other day since I started there, but it wasn't a day I had classes.

According to my tally, this is the fifth 'storm of the century' this season.

Will this be worser than the January 1999 blizzard?

So my office closed early and I decided to try and walk home down the Magnificent Mile. All shops, department stores, malls, and restaurants are closed due to the storm. It was bearable until I got to Water Tower Place. Those heavy steel wastebaskets fell over and were rolling around in the wind. People clung to buildings because the wind was too strong. The highrises created intense wind shear and freezing rain is absolutely painful.....and to think the worst is yet to come.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    So my office closed early and I decided to try and walk home down the Magnificent Mile. All shops, department stores, malls, and restaurants are closed due to the storm. It was bearable until I got to Water Tower Place. Those heavy steel wastebaskets fell over and were rolling around in the wind. People clung to buildings because the wind was too strong. The highrises created intense wind shear and freezing rain is absolutely painful.....and to think the worst is yet to come.
    Be safe, wolverine.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post
    Unless your roof is already pretty packed with Icy Snow for more than a month and the load you expect is way up, it's not that bad. My neighbor does that also, and I wouldnt want to damage my tiles or cause more problems. But we have had some flat roofs cave in on schools and arenas last year, flat roofs need to be cleared when overloaded.

Have to admit, I'm with Muskie, this is Michigan folks. We do get snow.

Do admit though, did get fresh milk, eggs, bread but that is practical. My flashlight works and have backup batteries. Usually hand shovel but did fire up the old snowblower just in case.

Hospice comes in for my Mom, all canceled. Husband was supposed to take his Mom to dental appointment, they canceled too. I agree, if one doesn't need to be out if unnessessary, but really this town has shut down on a might be situation.

In the mean time I have a good book and hot cocoa and if I feel like driving I will. Sounds like no one will be on the roads.

Quote Originally Posted by LodgeDodger View Post
    Be safe, wolverine.
    Thanks lodgedodger, just happy to be home. I think tonight is a good night to settle down and watch a movie.

LodgeDodger Guest

Thus far, all is quiet on the lodgedodger weather deck. For up-to-the-minute updates, stay tuned!

Name:  weather deck 7pma.jpg
Views: 574
Size:  20.9 KB

We're always stocked, locked, racked and ready to go no matter the time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    Thanks lodgedodger, just happy to be home. I think tonight is a good night to settle down and watch a movie.
    or a new Detroit 187!

DetroitDad Guest

Yay! SNOOOOOOOOOW DAY! I haven't had one of these since grade school [[college is now a hybrid that still meets online if there is a snow day).

My work is cancelled if snow is a foot or over. For a list of business, school, and event closings, you can check out the WWJ Newsradio 950 Storm Center.

Weather Live a top the Kales Building....Penobscot glowing top barely visable.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Once again, nice photos Wolverine.

LodgeDodger Guest

From the lodgedodger "Weather Deck": Wind is coming off the lake at about 100 MPH [[slight exaggeration). It's gorgeous outside.

Name:  weather deck 9pm.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  27.7 KB

Lol thanks guys. Well here's where the photo quality tanks, but an interesting moment. The wind has been pummeling my windows, and finally the hardware gave pushing one of the window leafs into the interior. Grabbed the camera and just as I took it, lightning flashed outside. It's not often the screens come out, so I held the camera out the window to look toward the lake, but nothing is really to be seen. Apparently waves could get up to 25 feet.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast