Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
Somebody was trying to explain this to me, and, if I remember this right, the rationale was that you can have people taking a profit at multiple levels. There is a group that owns the school and takes a profit for just owning the school. Then there is another company that does maintenance and takes a profit. And then there is the actual "academy" that pays out all these people and still makes a profit. So many middlemen have to be fed profits with this system. Of course, as to whether it will educate the kids, that's a secondary concern; it just has to be as profitable as possible.
People are making profit under the current arrangement, too. The good profit [[jobs). The bad employees who don't actually exist but get paid profit. The suppliers who are overpaid for products because the schools aren't good at controlling this profit. The contractors who get overpaid for work because they grease the right wheels profit. [[And a friend of mine who is a contractor profits when he fixes the mess left by the disfunctional construction management profits too.

Its not a case of profit = bad. Its a case of how you get the job done and minimize everyone's profit to the student educational benefit. That's the only measurement that matter.