Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Gardening- For those who love to grow.

If you enjoy gardening this thread is for you.

Stories, experiences, sharing info, seeds, cuttings, and anything else.

You asked for it, I've got questions. My lot has an inch or two of dirt over clay. There is standing water on flower beds right now. I need suggestions for plants that can handle this. I have eastern and southern exposures to deal with, and some partial shade under the old olive tree.

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackenzie68 View Post
    You asked for it, I've got questions. My lot has an inch or two of dirt over clay. There is standing water on flower beds right now. I need suggestions for plants that can handle this. I have eastern and southern exposures to deal with, and some partial shade under the old olive tree.

Thanks in advance.
    It will take some time, but digging in organic materials like compost or peat moss will make a world of difference in the drainage. In the meantime choose plants that tolerate "wet feet".

anyone know if the garden claw is worth investing in?

Quote Originally Posted by Alley View Post
    Never tried it. But the Weed Popper is a lifesaver, esp on the lower back.

The garden claw works only in fairly loose soil. Never did well for me.

My hubby uses the weed popper on those really tough weeds with roots to China, like Canadian thistle.

This is a great idea for a thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Alley View Post
    I bought the garden claw, [[tiller?), last year at Meijer for about $12. I looked in every store for months to find one, but I'm more than happy with the quality of it. It also converts to 12" hand use.

Now if only I didn't have a black thumb.

Finally! The soil along the fence was just right to plant the peas today.

My favorite season is now official.

Thanks for the suggestions, keep 'em coming, please,

I put in some Russian sage last fall, just dumb luck, I think. I didn't know it would take a while to settle when I planted it. Now that I think of it, the rule of perennials would apply.

I'll get a bag or two of sand to mix with compost and the ever present clay to start a new bed, thanks.

I used the garden claw happily in better soil but I don't think it would do well in clay. Too heavy to mix well.

I'm planning some small raised beds but I neglected to mention that this is not really my yard so I don't want to go as far as renting a tiller.

Will daffodils divide themselves here like in warmer climates?

Quote Originally Posted by Mackenzie68 View Post

Thanks in advance.
    Try the website listed below for a very good list of plants who like wet feet

Can't talk now, too busy reading! Thanks all!

Sumas,
    You've mentioned you sell herbs at a local weekend market. If you wouldn't mind , PM me with the location. I'm restructuring my back yard, mostly with seeds, but some established plants will be required, I would rather buy from you than my usual sources if you have the things I want.

A cool event today. While, still early, a small plot by my garage I have planned for Roma tomatos and basil was dry enough to do some digging and add some of the compost that cooked all winter. Gave me a reason to turn the pile, and raise the soil level in that spot.

For us cheapies:
    http://www.wintersown.org/

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jams View Post
    How timely...I had to wintersow "Kiss Me Over the Garden Gate" this year.

I love this thread. Gardening keeps me sane.

Quote Originally Posted by jams View Post
    Sumas,
    You've mentioned you sell herbs at a local weekend market. If you wouldn't mind , PM me with the location. I'm restructuring my back yard, mostly with seeds, but some established plants will be required, I would rather buy from you than my usual sources if you have the things I want.

A cool event today. While, still early, a small plot by my garage I have planned for Roma tomatos and basil was dry enough to do some digging and add some of the compost that cooked all winter. Gave me a reason to turn the pile, and raise the soil level in that spot.
    I haven't figured out how to PM yet. My computer skills are limited. So I'll list here. I have a table at West Park Market in Grosse Pointe Park. I am located in front of Grace Church on Kercheval and Lakepointe. My main business is herbs, but I do stock perennials and specialty veggies. I also take special orders.

WPM's opening day is May 16 with extended hours [[9-3) due to a food festival. The market is small, 3to 4 blocks has live entertainment and is very dog friendly. I hope to keep my prices the same as last year but I don't know yet. Last year my plants were $2.50 ea for a three inch pot or 2 for $4.50, I also have a flat [[18 ct) discount but I forget at the moment what it is. This will be my third year doing the Saturday market. What inspired me to start was I went to check out the market four years ago and vendors were selling the same size plants for $6.00. I was outraged. I knew I could do much better. Of course, I am not popular with other vendors that carry similiar plants because they had to drop prices or look like whores.

Doing this has been so much fun. Spending a day talking about plants, giving and getting advice is a blast. Gardeners are such friendly people.

If I can hold my pricing with the same margin, anyone who tells me they are a Dyer can buy wth a greater discount. I'll update people in May.

Thanks Jams

For people who missed it, Home Depot has a 4 day only [[4/2 thru 4/5sale) on 2CF bags of Cypress mulch for $1.48. Limit 20 bags. Outstanding savings.

Thanks Sumas,
    I'll make it a point to stop by.

Any advice for a 1st time potato grower?

I'm thinking of having a raised bed separate from my vegetable garden.
    How many potatoes could I get out of a 3'x6' bed?

Thanks.

I also am trying Potatoes for the first time this year. I have been reading a lot about growing them in a bag, a garbage can, or a stack of old tires. I think I am going for the tires, because I can paint them, and they might look cool. Here is a link. .. http://www.kiddiegardens.com/growing..._in_tires.html

Sounds like this guy knows his potato growing stuff.

http://www.ehow.com/video_4418748_cure-potatoes.html

Nothing of relevance to say at this moment, other than bump.

Default Belle Isle Plant Sale on 5/23/09

Belle Isle Botanical Society
    Annual Plant Sale

May 23, 2009
    9:00 am - 3:00 pm

The doors open at 9 am on May 23 at the Belle Isle Greenhouses. We recommend that you come early to secure the choices tomato and flower offerings. A wide variety of heirloom and hybrid tomatoes, unusual perennials, annuals, herbs, geraniums and water plants will be available. This is our biggest and most important fundraiser and is staffed by BIBS volunteers. Plan to enrich your garden this summer!

Went to the Northville Farmer's Market this morning [[first of the year) and I saw dwarf hostas. I had never seen them before. Does anyone have any experience with them? They sure were cute!

Frost advisory tonight.

A FROST ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 2 AM TO 8 AM EDT MONDAY.

TEMPERATURES WILL FALL RAPIDLY AFTER SUNSET TONIGHT AS SKIES
    CLEAR AND WINDS WEAKEN ACROSS THE AREA. TEMPERATURES WILL DROP
    INTO THE LOWER TO MIDDLE 30S OVERNIGHT. THESE CONDITIONS WILL
    SUPPORT FROST FORMATION.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A FROST ADVISORY MEANS THAT FROST IS POSSIBLE. SENSITIVE OUTDOOR
    PLANTS MAY BE KILLED IF LEFT UNCOVERED.

Finally built up the soil in the corner of my yard that I planned for my shade garden. The hostas and lily of the vally seem to be doing well transplanted from my kind neighbors' allowing me to thin their plantings.

I did buy three ferns for a background planting today. I'm so geeked that in a month or so, I'll be able to sit in the small plot of grass I've allocated in my backyard and enjoy the flowers that are poking out now from the seeds planted earlier.

Hopefully, other gardeners will share their happiness on a side of the forum noted for its political BS.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast