Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Scary and Proud stat of the moment...

Doug Fister in his last seven outings has had better numbers than Justin Verlander. Fister's been 7-0 with a microscopic 0.65 in his last eight outings. Toss in the stat that he hasn't walked anyone has got to be scary as hell to any foe.

The one-two punch of these two guys has got to be impressive.

And did I mention we have an explosive offense playing out of its mind?

Red Sox nation just choked one away.

Longoria and the Rays make an amazing comeback.

And our Tigers will take on the much hated Yankees. Bring it on post season. Let's enjoy this ride. The Tigers are peaking at a good time now.

I turned on the Rays game at the bottom of the 8th and I was bummed they were down 7-0. But for some reason I watched and much to my amazement they came back. Also caught the end of the Red Sox game and was completly amazed at the ending. The whole night was bizarre to say the least.
    To bad the Angels played like grama's against texas. Angels had a 3 run lead in the bottom of the ninth Monday and blew it and cost the Tigers big bucks.
    We really are peaking at the right time, I hope Verlander is on his game Friday. Its going to be exciting.

Really dumb starting these games at 8:37 pm., especially when the first round is on TBS. They want kids to be fans and yet none of the games will end until midnight.

It was fun to read the start of this thread and predictions and thoughts as the season started. After the first week it was clear Avila sucked and Victor would be behind the plate ultimitaly. HEHE, were we all wrong!!!!!! Avila was one of the biggest reasons we eneded up were we did, so congrats to him.

Whatever happens: Good season! Hoping for a great one though....

Wow..........nothing here since 9/30? zilch? ok.

Anyways, great stuff by JV last night. He had one or two tough innings, but plenty of timely K's to make it worth the tension. And Papa Grande always makes it interesting, doesn't he?

Porcello Vs. AJ tonight. Could be a dinger derby, who knows?

Go Tigers!

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TKshreve View Post
    Wow..........nothing here since 9/30? zilch? ok.

Anyways, great stuff by JV last night. He had one or two tough innings, but plenty of timely K's to make it worth the tension. And Papa Grande always makes it interesting, doesn't he?

Porcello Vs. AJ tonight. Could be a dinger derby, who knows?

Go Tigers!

A.J. Burnett about tonight's game. From the NY Times:

"I’ve got to bring everything I’ve got, and just let A. J. loose out there.”

Ugh, I almost threw up. He referred to himself in third person. That should offset any bulleton board material that Papa Grande created.

Just a suggestion, but if the Tigers win tomorrow and make it to the ALCS how about moving this thread or maybe starting a new thread to the Discuss Detroit section? There's just not enough traffic over here and I think people don't bother posting that much.

As far as tomorrow's game, I like the Tigers chances. Aside from two innings last year, the second day of game one was the first time they batted against Nova. They should have a better fell for the way he pitches. Also the pressure will be ramped up on the rookie and Fister comes into the game with more expeirence.

The Evil Empire has fallen and the Tigers are moving on!

Also does anyone know why Nova got credited with the loss? Because it was Sabathia that clearly gave up the go-ahead run to Austin Jackson when he doubled off of him in the fifth. Nova was long gone by that point- and yet gets tagged with the loss? HUH? Someone much more learned than me please explain.

The Tigers took the lead in the first inning and never lost it, thus the initial go-ahead runs in the first gave Nova the loss. How long he pitched in the game is irrelevant. If the Yanks had tied it at any point during the game, Nova would have been off the hook and got a no-decision.

Our manager has taken a lot of heat this season from some people, and it's time we all gave him some kudos for how he handled this series. No panic, lots of good moves, and never afraid to trust his baseball gut. An outstanding effort all around !

WDIV....Please stop the "Bless You Boys" crap ! It was old in '06, and no one wants to hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by smogboy View Post
    The Evil Empire has fallen and the Tigers are moving on!

Also does anyone know why Nova got credited with the loss? Because it was Sabathia that clearly gave up the go-ahead run to Austin Jackson when he doubled off of him in the fifth. Nova was long gone by that point- and yet gets tagged with the loss? HUH? Someone much more learned than me please explain.
    I think by the time you posted this you were clearly in a Happy Haze. I know you know your baseball better than that.

That was some tremendous clutch pitching last night. We got the steal of the decade in Fister. He's locked up for cheap money for a few years as well. Sherzer was equally impressive. For a guy who gives up a ton of homers, and one Comerica deep fly ball would be a home run in that joke of a ballpark, it was even more so. Making Benoit pull off a bandage was the cheapest stunt I've ever seen. The umpire didn't even question it when Girardi asked. He just nodded yes and that's the sort of thing that's clearly at his discretion. Finally, nothing is more satisfying than watching Martinez come through after a Cabrera intentional walk. He's done it all season.

Go get em Saturday JV!

Those last few innings took ten years off my life.

from 1968

Go Tigers

Name:  283492_179694675427256_179682172095173_467553_6826310_n.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  30.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I think by the time you posted this you were clearly in a Happy Haze. I know you know your baseball better than that.
    Seriously, no happy haze about it. I appreciate the fact that you think my baseball acumen is that sharp but I'm honestly not sure of why Nova got charged with the loss. That's why I asked. He was clearly out of the game by the time the winning run was scored. Like I said it was Sabathia that allowed the winning run to score- so why wasn't he charged with the loss? I guess it doesn't really matter because we're taking on the Rangers tonight but that was one ruling I didn't understand.

I'm with Smogboy on this one, should be CC's loss. Another weird stat is game winning goal in hockey. Say its 0-0 mid way through a game with the Hawks. Cleary scores to break the tie. Then the Wings add a few more by Hank, Homer and Pavs for a 4-0 lead. The Hawks get a couple cheapies late in the game and it ends 4-2. Homer's goal is the game winner, yet we were up 2-0 when he scored. Cleary's goal that broke the tie should be the winner imo.

Not that wikipedia is the do-all, end all by rules standards but here's what they list:

The losing pitcher is the pitcher who allows the go-ahead run to reach base for a lead that the winning team never relinquishes. A pitcher can be credited with a loss if they allow a runner to reach base, and is then replaced by a relief pitcher who subsequently allows that base runner to score. The pitcher receives the loss, even if this or any other runs are not earned. If a pitcher allows a run which gives the opposing team the lead, his team comes back to lead or tie the game, and then the opposing team regains the lead against a subsequent pitcher, the earlier pitcher does not get the loss.
    I'm at a loss much like smogboy and downriviera as well because by this definition the pitcher that gave up the go-ahead run [[CC Sabathia) should be the big schlub who gets the loss. When I heard at the end of the game that Nova got the loss, it didn't make sense to me either.

Do I need to look up the official rule book or call into a sports talk show to get clarification? Where's a baseball rules geek when you need one?

Guys...what game did you watch ? The game was never tied from the second batter until the end. 2-0.....3-0...3-1.....3-2...we win. Get it ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bong-Man View Post
    Guys...what game did you watch ? The game was never tied from the second batter until the end. 2-0.....3-0...3-1.....3-2...we win. Get it ?
    We know the score. We all saw that but the pitcher that served it up should get the loss, shouldn't he?

Nova gave up the first two runs. Got it. Sabathia was the one that put the go-ahead runner on board and gave up the winning hit to Victor Martinez. Nova was already in the dugout sitting and chilling when the Yankees gave up the game winner- so why should he get the L?

I get the fact that Fister gets the W because he never lost the lead but why is poor Nova slapped with the L when he only gave up the two runs that were matched by his team in the subsequent innings?

As Bong-man says and as the rule states, the lead must be relinguished at some point for the losing pitcher to change from Nova to a reliever. I realize the 3rd run in a 3-2 game is known as the winning run, but that doesn't affect who is the losing pitcher if the game was never tied.

As far as last night's fiasco, I don't like the way the pitching is shaping up the rest of this series but we will see. I hope the Delmon Young injury reminds the Tigers why they shouldn't lock this guy up long term for big money. He's always injury prone because he doesn't look to be in the best of shape, weak defensively and his OBP is terrible. He is not a number 3 hitter on a first place team. We're lucky he's been hot this past month but he's not why we lost yesterday. We need Cabrera, Avila and Jackson to get going. Jackson looks completely lost.

This is great! My stomach has been churning since first week of September. Our beloved Bengals have stacked up as good as could have ever been expected. Texas does not worry me the least bit. The numbers, the stats, the freaky weather, the bandage, the closers, the long relievers.... Phillies are OUT, and I can hardly believe that.

Here is my take from here on out. The game of baseball is so unbelieveably mischievous. Look at the field. Just look at it. If Jim Leyland has any sort of coach's genius, it has to lie in the fact that he will never, ever, not in a trillion years, admit to playing Short Ball. And that, in my opinion, is exactly what the bengals are doing. It's no wonder Austin Jackson, by concensus, looks "lost at the plate". Well, I don't believe it for one moment. Jackson will be the straw that stirs the drink.

Avila is a non-factor. Just don't even expect anything more than what he has already done for this team. I believe he will be good for maybe one or two situational key hits. If that.

Cabrera? He's the trick. Absolutely. Again, look at that field. You got seven suns of bitch's standing around with gloves as big as my television, ready to pounce on anything that is seamed and looks like a baseball. The Big Guy will come around. Cabrera is a natural - the most dangerous stick you'd ever want to face.

All in all, and I am as big a skeptic as ever was, I do believe that the Detroit Tigers are the best baseball team in the 2011 season. IF they close out the Rangers [[and they will, don't worry), this team has the potential... the potential... of ranking as one of the best ever. Going way way back to April, my colleague @ work would joke, "how about them Tigers?" "Best team ever was" I'd say.

So far as the rules go.... the losing pitcher is the one who, regardless of score, gives up a go-ahead run, IF - and only IF - the game is deemed a "complete" game {which is to say after 2 bats in the bottom of the 4th inning}, and so long as the opposing team has not had any replacements from the original line-up given to the umpires prior to the first pitch, then that Mo Fo gets the loss.

All that said, I only have one worry - the foul pole. Go Tigers, eat 'em UP!

Has our team finally run out of gas? Sure I can concede some of it has been the Rangers pitching has torqued it up a notch but offensively we've looked horrific. Has Jim Leyland finally tinkered and played all of his lucky hunches? The last two 11 inning games have been absolutely devastating.

I guess we put a big chunk of the weight onto JV's arm now and go one game at time. Every game is going to be the last game if we don't win the rest now. And I'm sure Texas feels as though they want to run their cleats across our throats now too.

When some of our top hitters are going 0 HR 1 RBI 1 HR 2 RBI's in 9 post season games for example , its a wonder we've made it this far .

Where the heck is that Justin Verlander?

I notice he's been missing in action lately.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast