Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

I want to cheer for Cabrera despite the alcohol incidents because he's the best clutch hitter I've ever seen on the Tigers. [[By the way, giving him his driver's license back in Florida makes a joke of the entire proceedings and reinforces to Cabrera that he is above the law). What has me really pissed is that he has ignored Lamont's stop sign at third base 3 times this year. The first 2 times he made it home safely due to bad relay throws but last night he was out by a mile. He's next seen sitting next to Verlander, who is smiling and joking with him in the dugout. Can Leyland not say anything to the guy for showing up his coach and setting a terrible example to the rest of the team?

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I want to cheer for Cabrera despite the alcohol incidents because he's the best clutch hitter I've ever seen on the Tigers. [[By the way, giving him his driver's license back in Florida makes a joke of the entire proceedings and reinforces to Cabrera that he is above the law). What has me really pissed is that he has ignored Lamont's stop sign at third base 3 times this year. The first 2 times he made it home safely due to bad relay throws but last night he was out by a mile. He's next seen sitting next to Verlander, who is smiling and joking with him in the dugout. Can Leyland not say anything to the guy for showing up his coach and setting a terrible example to the rest of the team?
    I agree, that really pissed me off when he ran through Gene's signal. I love Cabrera, but that is poor on his part. Although, he did have it beat upon further replay!

Going to the game tonight, so hopefully Porcello can get a W.

Oh my Tigers. How I love that team and all of its quirks over this season so far. I have yet to even really say anything about this team just because I don't know its identity. On any given week, they're world beaters hitting the hide off of the ball, throwing 95+ MPH fastballs, baffling the other teams' batters, defensively solid, and playing like champs. On any other given night, they couldn't beat a little league team if they were spotted a man on second at the beginning of every inning. This is by far the streakiest team I can honestly remember; it's either a winning streak or a losing streak. There are no one loss, one win peaks any more- it's one or the other.

It's been a confounding year so far for me to watch. Our Tigers are firmly entrenched in second place it seems. What is absolutely surprising is how the AL Central has turned out. What I thought would be the final standings has been completely topsy turvy. I thought Cleveland would be in the cellar and the Twins would walk away- nope. Take what you see in the standings now, flip it over and that was my pre-season pick. It still very much might end up like that, with the exception of Minnesota digging themselves out of that mile deep trench.

I'm still dumbfounded by our team with such popular fan chatter about Ryan Rayburn and Brandon Inge. And to a lesser degree Carlos Guillen. All of these guys prove to be Jim Leyland favorites for whatever reason. None of these guys are even hitting their own weight in an average and yet the likes of Inge and Rayburn are always in the line-up. Why Guillen is still on the payroll is beyond me. On any other team I would've easily shipped these guys off to the farm team to get their heads together and taken a chance with a newbie. It's times like this that I miss the likes of Polanco in a big way.

We'll see how the season unfolds. I hope that we can make up some ground on the Indians, hang onto first place and make it into a post season game. Win it all- not likely but if we can at least make it to the dance with this rag tag bunch, I'll be mildly [[never completely 110%) satisfied.

I think it's a case of sink or swim together for Leyland/Dombrowski. Dombrowski decides Leyland's fate and their both at the end of their contracts. Why Dombrowski gave Inge and Rayburn two year contracts when nobody else wanted them is anybody's guess. What's bizarre is that Leyland will bat Rayburn 2nd one night, 3rd the next and 9th the next.

We're in 1st place!

Fingers crossed we don't have another 2nd half swoon. I hoping the starting pitching is too good to let that happen this year. Magglio is due back Monday. I think it's worth the shot that he gets back on track at the plate but I sure wish he didn't have to be in right field.

We're in 1st place!

Fingers crossed we don't have another 2nd half swoon. I hoping the starting pitching is too good to let that happen this year. Magglio is due back Monday. I think it's worth the shot that he gets back on track at the plate but I sure wish he didn't have to be in right field.
    I wouldn't make too much of a hullabaloo about being in first just yet. While I'll quietly cheer the fact that we made it there, what remains to be seen is if we can stay there. All of the stars and planets have aligned up nicely and we've put in a really nice run but we need to keep this pace up. I just don't see Chicago standing pat and will see them climbing up our backside before long. And Cleveland, if they can ever regain their first half magic still could be a threat.

What's been spectacular so far has been our pitching. Verlander's untouchable at the plate, Scherzer seems to have regained his form, Porcello is finally starting to pay off [[I still wouldn't mind seeing him develop another pitch in his arsenal), and Coke & Penny have been more than serviceable. Right now, Alburquerque, Purcey, and Furbish have been holding their own in middle relief too. Benoit and Valverde have magically been able to shut things down again in the 8th and 9th innings too. For a while there I thought Valverde was channeling Todd Jones' roller coaster again.

And as far as guys like Magglio and Brandon Inge? I say sit them and bring them in later. The guys who we've got in there now are doing a more than serviceable job out there. Guys like Dirks, Worth, Wells & Kelly are hitting. Having that little bit of additional speed around the base paths hasn't hurt either. Dirks arm in left field is pretty darn good too. If it ain't broke- don't mess with it. I have no problem sitting down their bloated salaries on the bench as long as the team is playing well and winning.

Not that I want it to stop but what's up with Avila and Peralta having career years at the plate? WOW!

So far so good. We've taken on some good opponents and have been productive. Let's see how we fare against Felix Hernandez and his lightning arm. If we can pound him around and maybe even chase him later today- then I'll be willing to sip a little bit of the Kool Aid.

I attended last night game , parked behind the Hockeytown Cafe . Attendance for the game was over 38,000 fans . Downtown was alive and rockin last night . My wife and I had a great time , and as usual left with a warm and fuzzy feeling of being downtown , the feeling is magic !

In last night's game I noticed Santiago's hit was scored as triple. Why? I wasn't at the game and you couldn't tell from tv, but unless Santiago reached 3rd before Martinez crossed home plate, how could it be a triple? I find it hard to believe Santiago would run that hard even if he could knowing the game or inning would be over on the play at the plate.

I suspect because the runner who scored was on 1st base and had to touch 3 bases . I saw a photo in the Detroit News of Santiago in the clubhouse wearing a shave cream pie ala Soupy Sales lol

Game one versus the Indians and I'm left speechless at the gem that Verlander threw. Utterly amazing. I knew something was afoot after the fourth inning. He just had the right stuff. I didn't even want to mention the word "shut out" or "perfect game" in fear of jinxing it all but one couldn't help but have that in the back of your head. His delivery was just amazing and it baffled so many of the Indian hitter; it had movement and it had power when he needed to torque it up a notch. A cool clean dozen strikeouts. Sizemore looked absolutely junior varsity in this game.

Okay so it wasn't a perfect game and it wasn't a no-hitter but in regards to setting a pace or a tone to this series, I hope it was something for Verlander's team mates to latch onto. THIS is how you do it.

Fine. Now we've got first place by ourselves. Let's see if we can do something to protect it. Let's see if we have the moxie to sweep the Tribe and keep the surging White Sox at bay. So often we've been teased in June with first place only to see us tumbling downward like a Chevy Chase Gerald Ford impersonation by the time late July gets here.

Default Verlander Gem

It was obvious around the third inning that Justin had nasty stuff and like most nights he pitches, there is always the possibility of history being made.
    With that said, the Indians had that look in their eye of a team that knows it's doomed and that the success they had early in the season was either the result of a lot of fortunate events or just plain luck. Sort of like the look that Lebron had in the final minutes of the last game of the finals.
    Over a long season the cream usually rises to the top and right now the Tigers are undoubtedly the best team in the Central. Chicago will give them a challenge, but in the end we have the better team.
    The national media still has shown little love to our Tigers, but I predict that will change. Beyond the Red Sox, I do not see any other team in the AL that we would have trouble beating in a short series.
    It looks like it's going to be a long happy summer at the Copa this year.

If Porcello and Scherzer don't get straightened out [[again!) it's going to be a long second half.

If Porcello and Scherzer don't get straightened out [[again!) it's going to be a long second half.
    Add Coke to that, Don.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Add Coke to that, Don.
    I didn't add Coke because I never expected much from him. Well okay, maybe 2 wins in the first half. Now that the all-star break is almost here, I hope Coke will return to the pen, Schlereth will be sent down and one of the kids will be brought up for the second half. Also, enough with the Rayburn crap already.

Once again, our beloved Tigers begin the second half of the baseball season with a crushing defeat. From the stankly ChiSox no less. I hate the Twins, I hate the Indians, I hate Chicago, and I even kinda hate the Royals. Watching what little bit I could of last night's game, I seen no "hate" in the Tiger's eyes. I seen complacency. Play Ball, Tigers! Play for your jobs!

Wow... has the Dyes sports/ Tigers intelligencia finally given up? Brandon Inge gets shipped out and no discussion. Rod Allen makes a smart alecky comment and nothing here? Verlander throwing what must appear to be aspirin to the batters and no chatter? Baseball free agency heating up and nada? Leyland/ Dombrowski on the hot seat? Peralta, Avila, Valverde and Boesch heating up? Awfully quiet here.

C'mon- we're two games up and we should be cheering this team on as it moves forward or at least be shredding Leyland for some of his quirky moves. It's times like this where I miss bantering with the likes of Ravine. I didn't always agree with his snarly self but it made for interesting discussion about our hometown team.

The level of postings reflects the level of excitement of this team, limping along losing 2 of 3 every series and still clinging to 1st place. I've never seen a team with so many talented players and so many huge holes. The Sox, only 3 games out, admitted they suck and moved to dump some salary with their trade of Edwin Jackson. Can you mathematically finish below .500 and still win this lousy division?

If Dombrowski does not make another deal, at least for another starting pitcher, it will be a struggle to make the playoffs and if they did, it would be a short stay.
    We are lucky to be in a weak division as I do not believe Chicago, Cleveland or Minnesota have better teams than we do. With that said, we have nowhere near the talent a team like Boston has. They would absolutely wreck us in the postseason.
    The addition of Purcey has been an utter disappointment. Send him down now before he blows any more games. If you can't throw strikes, you should not be a relief pitcher. It's like throwing gas on a fire.
    I actually like our lineup, way more potent than last year. I worry about Avila as he has slid a bit during the second half. Peralta has turned into a beast and Guillen has shown he can still deliver.
    I also like that Illitch has not given new contracts to Leyland or DD. Let them earn it. Leyland needs to show that he can get the most out of this team, stop making stupid moves and get us to the promised land. If he can't do it with this team, then it will never happen.
    Should be a fun August and September as I see our team in the thick of it from here on out.

At present it's being reported that the Tiggers have pulled off a deal for the lowly Mariners starter Fister. Good. Now I feel like we can dig in our cleets and start getting down to the business of cinching the A.L. Central.

There's really not been much of anything to get too excited about so far this year, that's probably why there's not been a lot of discussion or threats of suicide due to some of Leylands oh-so-questionable moves. I must admit that I have just been all but fed up with Leylands tactics, his resting of players and his line up arrangements. But in spite of that, I think we have a strong enough lineup to overcome just about anything, particularly if Guillen can stay healthy. I think that's key.

Pitching-wise? Let's see... I thought we had no less than eight arms down in Toledo ready to come up and tear it up in the Major's. Or was I hearing wrong back in January? Anyways, Porcello MUST steady out and be good with EVERY start from here on out.

Overall, I was kinda hoping they'd pull the trigger for Jimanez, and I don't know much about this Fister, except that he's showing a respectable 3.33 ERA on a losing ball club. He's 6' 8", and I really don't know what diference that makes except.... holy jeez! That's one TALL dude! He also carries a WHIP of 1.25 I think, and for the Tiger's, that's exceptional, especially since they are one of only a few 1st place teams who are overall out-scored by their opponents. To me, in baseball it's all about the numbers.

From here on out, I'm totally into it, barring any unforseen breakdowns such as what happened last year. GO TIGERS!

The Tigers also got a decent reliever in David Pauley. Doug Fister deserved better than he got when it came to run support, given that his support has been under 2 runs per 9 innings.

I think it will work out well for both teams. Fister gives the Tigers the 5th starter they're looking for and a decent set up man. The Mariners get what they desparately need.....a good prospect at third base [[You guys couldn't take Chone Figgins off our hands?). If Francisco Martinez turns out to be any good at all, we've made a good deal. I'd sure like to know who the "player to be named later" is. Rumor out here is that's one of the major keys of the trade.

I was sure hoping to see some great analysis from yesterday's game from SB, Dougfm, Ravine, or whomever. I'll take the first stab at it then. But ya better watch out, cause this one is coming in high and tight, a little chin music, if you will.

1) Free agency. Good job Tigers. I literally laughed out loud once I seen that Cleveland mortgaged their franchise with Jiminez. However, once the laughs subsided, I could only think, "uh-oh". Then I went back to chuckling to myself.

2) Verlander. The dude is a freak of nature. Ever since he publicly stated that his goal is to break Nolan Ryan's "no-hit" total, he has been just... horrible [[in a good way). Can you imagine a perfect game in a playoff? With Verlander, I could see it happening.

3) Never mind the playground banter that happened between Guillen and Weaver. I am curious as to the exchange of words betwen Guillen and the Angel's catcher as he [[Guillen) tapped his foot on home plate and trotted back to the dugout.

4) Can't blame Weaver too much. His brother was a hot head too. However, hot heads are usually not Cye Young winners.

5) I like the way this ball club looks going into what might end up being the most trhilling eight and a half weeks of baseball that this town has seen in AGES.

Finally: pitching, pitching, pitching. That's where it starts, and that's where it ends.

Now that we are past the point of speculation, I'd really like to see what anyone else has to say regards assessment of this 2011 Tiger's Ball Club.

Honestly, I am favored towards Texas or Boston to take home the pie. But then again, Chicago is... spooky. Same with San Fran. And I still am not convinced that the Twins are done with what they have to say.

Final thought - I don't buy this crap about how the AL Central is the weakest division in the Majors. Just don't buy it. In fact, the Central AL Division might be the hardest Division to play in, especially with the over-abundance of inter-league play, and with so few games against the East.

And here's the best part - The Tigers haev not any major slumps all this season. No terrific win streaks, and no horrific losing streaks, and they have dusted their floor by finally ousting Inge, which was their first good move. They have "paced" good all year long. Six games above .500 ball, and hopefully they can kick it up several notches heading into the home stretch.

I like this year's team and it seems that all have worked very hard to put the best product on the field.

Ravine Guest

I'm OK with how everybody behaved, or mis-behaved, other than the Home Plate Umpire.
    I think the Ump worsened the situation.
    I think Magglio was just tracking the flight of the ball, and Weaver didn't like it. OK on Magglio, OK on Weaver, but for the jawing at Magglio, who didn't deserve the sass, which led to...
    OK on Guillen deciding to squash Weaver's nose into the HR. Talk shit to my homey? Fuck you, Weaver.
    OK on Weaver retaliating, although throwing at Avila's head was wrong.
    Weaver was frustrated. Let's not forget that it was a battle of the Cy Young contenders, and Weaver was losing. These guys have egos. Haren went up against JV and won. Weaver, his team-mate, was losing. Weaver was pissed, earlier, about the Magglio HR. Then, with sufficient reason, even more pissed by Guillen's very clear Fuck You demonstration.
    So the Ump, seeing Weaver's reaction, immediately warns both benches.
    I didn't like that. That's about like telling Weaver, OK, you just got thoroughly dogged, and I'm telling you that you've got to just Take It.
    I think Weaver just flipped out, a bit. What, I've got to stand out here and be shown up? Screw it; my first pitch is gonna show you what I think of that.
    I think, probably, it would have happened, anyway, but the Ump's intervention was pre-mature. No one had been thrown at, so the warning was inappropriate.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    I'm OK with how everybody behaved, or mis-behaved, other than the Home Plate Umpire.
    I think the Ump worsened the situation.
    I think Magglio was just tracking the flight of the ball, and Weaver didn't like it. OK on Magglio, OK on Weaver, but for the jawing at Magglio, who didn't deserve the sass, which led to...
    OK on Guillen deciding to squash Weaver's nose into the HR. Talk shit to my homey? Fuck you, Weaver.
    OK on Weaver retaliating, although throwing at Avila's head was wrong.
    Weaver was frustrated. Let's not forget that it was a battle of the Cy Young contenders, and Weaver was losing. These guys have egos. Haren went up against JV and won. Weaver, his team-mate, was losing. Weaver was pissed, earlier, about the Magglio HR. Then, with sufficient reason, even more pissed by Guillen's very clear Fuck You demonstration.
    So the Ump, seeing Weaver's reaction, immediately warns both benches.
    I didn't like that. That's about like telling Weaver, OK, you just got thoroughly dogged, and I'm telling you that you've got to just Take It.
    I think Weaver just flipped out, a bit. What, I've got to stand out here and be shown up? Screw it; my first pitch is gonna show you what I think of that.
    I think, probably, it would have happened, anyway, but the Ump's intervention was pre-mature. No one had been thrown at, so the warning was inappropriate.
    Weaver flipped out like a complete pansy. Guillen, in my mind's eye, was sending the message to Weaver that what Magglio did was not showing up and THIS is what showing someone up looks like. Furthermore, he was right there, daring Weaver to do something about it. Weaver's "anger" went up in proportion to the amount of physical safety he felt in the situation. Then, he throws at Avila, which he probably would have anyway after giving up the home run. He should be in the NBA.

Weaver is a known punk, but I still think Guillen's taunting was over the top and not needed.
    No one was injured, but this game was ripe for a brawl and I was shocked that it didn't happen. The one thing the Tigers didn't need was having one of their important players on the bottom of a pile and ending up with a broken arm and out for the season. Also when the game turned into a circus it couldn't have helped JV's attempt at a no-hitter.

Yeah, Weaver really looked like a clown when he was playing tough guy when he was walking off the field.

I'm surprised that Scioscia didn't come out and at least try to calm Weaver down prior to his pitch to Avilia. He was clearly nutting out. I don't think MLB has come out with anything on it yet, but it seems to me he'll have to be suspended and miss a start.

Tomorrow starts the end game for me: The vast majority of the remaining games are against Central opponents, so do the Tigers bear down, and take this thing or somehow manage to fritter it away? Which, of course, has been their recent "second half" history. I may be a touch off, but I don't feel a disastrous slide coming on, yet I've not been entirely comfortable with this team either-- It often seems, even in their wins, that all three aspects of the game, pitching, hitting and fielding are not always there together in a nice, tight cohesive bond-- Remember how it seemed it took until May for the bats to come around? Another thing, it seems to me winning teams put together several good win streaks-- maybe three 7 to 10 wins in a row-- I think the Tigers have just the one "7" this year. OK, rant over-- Go Tigers! Beat the Tribe!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast