Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

In the town that GM built you all dont want to use the uber practical and damn durable GM coaches ? Is GM still in that business, we are still using 1980's built GMC buses here.

Seems like rubber tired diesel powered buses can go everywhere a train can and also where a train cannot go with much better ROI, if there is a such a thing with public transportation.

The downtown Kenosha streetcar loop is the ultimate in waste and serves almost no one, altho me and my daughter enjoy riding it for the 50 cents it costs us. Its more of a novelty than anything tho I agree those old cars are built like a brick s&!thouses.

Augustiner Guest

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    None of the above.

Not embarrassed to be from the Motor City nor wishing it was a different city somewhere nor thinking automotive and related industries were or are evil.
    Let me illustrate this to you with an analogy.

Suppose you have a restaurant, and you serve every meal with a fork. Doesn't matter what it is--soup, steak, applesauce--all you have are forks. One day, somebody suggests to you that maybe investing in some knives and spoons would be a good idea, seeing as how all the other restaurants in town have them, and they seem to be attracting more customers than your place. Furious, you start ranting that they must just think forks are evil and be embarrassed to eat at a restaurant that serves food with forks and wish they were eating at a different restaurant somewhere else. The other person becomes thoroughly confused, much like I am right now. You continue to lose business, and attribute it to the fork-haters in your midst. Life goes on.

DetroitDad Guest

Whichever one represents a forward looking modern city, and is made in the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltdave View Post
    they arent STILL using them, they only recently went back into service. they run in a loop down near the embarcadero on the F-line. they are from several different eras and are all in authentic liveries from different cities. you can ride them with a standard BART ticket...

http://www.streetcar.org/streetcars/fleet.html
    Thank you for the clarification.

I think C is a light rail train, and D is a streetcar system. There's a difference in how much they cost, and how they are used. I like A, though. Here's another picture of a San Francisco PCC painted in Detroit livery:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/49502995517@N01/1343112653

I pick Choice A.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    Whichever one represents a forward looking modern city, and is made in the USA.
    I believe in these times cities just implementing a street car system is being construed as forward looking for what ever reasons , modern has its plus and minuses as does the past, the key is to to be able to make them coexist.

I chose B strictly from a production and cost standpoint but the PCC [[A)cars would a bit more to produce but there are still alot of production stampings around so implication is way more cost effective short term looking at the tooling aspect.

The Peter Witt cars are also nice.

Made in the USA would only be a given ,made 100% and not with foreign parts assembled here.

Here is E, the DDOT train going up Woodward full of happy Detroiters

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2