Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Clock Restaurant

I think there was a Clock on Greenfield between Schoocraft and Plymouth rd in Detroit ?

Back in the late 1960s there was a Clock Restaurant on Van Dyke in Center Line. It was located on the east side of the street between Central and Dale Avenues. The building later housed a succession of different restaurants. About one year ago it was heavily renovated, as can be seen in this Google Street View.

Unless there was a second one, the Clock on W. Warren was between Chase and Schaefer...directly next to the Hudson's Warehouse. I don't remember one east of Greenfield.

Spent MANY a late night in that corner booth...

The one in Center Line caught fire a couple years ago , its repaired and open for business . Its called Pauluke's Grill . Didn't they have a Clocks on the corner of 11 Mile Rd. and Main St . in downtown Royal Oak ?

Some of the former Clock restaurants others mentioned in thread were actually Palace or Nuggett.

The Clock chain around Detroit was not connected with a Swedish/International chain, it was Michigan based. Menu was not like a hamburger chain, was sit down dining, table service, breakfasts or sandwiches, etc.

Clock's signs were similar in shape to Nugget and Palace, but with a clock atop the sign.
    Unique to Clocks built maybe late 60' to mid 70's- they had a 2nd dining area, up a few steps from the 'main floor',used mostly for overflow during peak hours.

I worked at the 12 & Groesbeck Clock too, mid 70s. The National Coney Island sign is the old Clock sign, without the actual clock on top. They called the upper level overflow area the "set".
    If I ever hear Philadelphia Freedom or Moonshadow, I'm right there again.

There was a Clock restaurant in the 7 Mile and Farmington Road shopping center, Livonia, where there is a Kmart. Also was a Winkelman's there.

Default Clock Restaurant in Warren

There was also a Clock on the north side of 8 Mile, just west of Ryan Road.

littlebuddy Guest

I think there was a Clock in Allen Park, right on Southfield rd. Don't know what it is now though.

Quote Originally Posted by Philbo View Post
    In the 1970s there was one on Gratiot in the Houston Whittier area.
    That's right. If I'm not mistaken it was still open in '88.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Unless there was a second one, the Clock on W. Warren was between Chase and Schaefer...directly next to the Hudson's Warehouse. I don't remember one east of Greenfield.

Spent MANY a late night in that corner booth...
    There was one E of Greenfield too. The link will show you the sign shape and familiar roofline. Its now an L George's

This place on McNichols was clearly a Clock at one point...http://www.google.com/maps?f=q&sourc...38.31,,0,-4.36
    Last edited by milt721; January-26-11 at 04:26 PM. Reason: bad link

Quote Originally Posted by milt721 View Post
    This place on McNichols was clearly a Clock at one point...http://www.google.com/maps?f=q&sourc...38.31,,0,-4.36
    Wow- I had no idea that bldg was still there.
    Yes, it was a Clock, and the sign still has the clock shape on top!
    Same family [[literally, Sicilian guys,- Stabile) owned the Clocks by 6/Greenfield, 7/Evergreen, Grand River/Telegraph, and 13 Mile/Orchard Lake.
    I was a cook at the Grand River location, occasionally worked at the other ones.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    There was one E of Greenfield too. The link will show you the sign shape and familiar roofline. Its now an L George's
    That would be the same one - Chase is half a mile east of Greenfield, it's Hubbell on the Detroit side. Used to go there all the time back in the late 70s - mid 80s.

Quote Originally Posted by brougham View Post
    I think there was a Clock on Greenfield between Schoocraft and Plymouth rd in Detroit ?
    There was a Palace on Greenfield, I seem to remember it being just North of Schoolcraft, but it's been a few years. I went there in the late 70s - early 80s. I guess there could have been a Clock a bit further south.

Quote Originally Posted by Philbo View Post
    In the 1970s there was one on Gratiot in the Houston Whittier area.
    That one has been a Coney Time a few years now. Last I remember the clock sign was still up. In fact, I thought the place was still running as "Clock's" [[what we called it when I was young) up until maybe five years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by SMRJim View Post
    That would be the same one - Chase is half a mile east of Greenfield, it's Hubbell on the Detroit side. Used to go there all the time back in the late 70s - mid 80s.
    Sorry I had a brain fart, I meant W of Greenfield. This place is East of me!

There was a Clock on Gratiot south of 9 Mile near EDHS. Final exam for my art class was held there when I was in 10th grade... Mr. Oleskewicz apparently graded us on attendance that day. LOL That was spring of 1970. I ate there other times, of course, living not too far away from it, but I cannot picture its exact location right now.

And, I want to think it was a Nugget on 11 Mile in Royal Oak... ate there a few times too, but for the life of me I can't be sure. It was the early-to-mid 1970s and we were after starchy food after the bars closed.

One amusing story/rumor about the Hamtramck Clock restaurant was that, YEARS back, former Mayor Albert Zak had been out partying heavily when he suffered a heart attack. Those with him didn't want it to be said that he died in a bar so they stuffed him in a car and drove him to the Clock where he died in the parking lot.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Sorry I had a brain fart, I meant W of Greenfield. This place is East of me!
    Well I'll have to admit that I don't really remember which ones were Clock, TIme, Palace or Nugget - they were all the same to me! And I'm probably leaving out a name or two. The only thing I know for sure is they were all over the place back in the 70s and 80s, and I frequented many of them, more often than not late at night, often with drunk, obnoxious friends. Those waitresses earned their money!

I worked at the Clock restaurant in Utica from May of ‘77 until May of ‘79. I helped “recruit” many additional employees. It was a very “colorful” place to work to say the least with many unique “characters”, both employees and customers. They could have made a GREAT movie and/or sitcom based on the surrounding the hilarious “madness” that ensued 24/7 being an all-night diner! 🙂

Quote Originally Posted by ChiroKirk View Post
    I worked at the Clock restaurant in Utica from May of ‘77 until May of ‘79. I helped “recruit” many additional employees. It was a very “colorful” place to work to say the least with many unique “characters”, both employees and customers. They could have made a GREAT movie and/or sitcom based on the surrounding the hilarious “madness” that ensued 24/7 being an all-night diner! 
    after bar crowd?

^^^ Had to be better than Denny's in that department!

Quote Originally Posted by ChiroKirk View Post
    I worked at the Clock restaurant in Utica from May of ‘77 until May of ‘79. I helped “recruit” many additional employees. It was a very “colorful” place to work to say the least with many unique “characters”, both employees and customers. They could have made a GREAT movie and/or sitcom based on the surrounding the hilarious “madness” that ensued 24/7 being an all-night diner! 
    Where exactly was that located in Utica? East side of Van Dyke south of McClellan where Savory Grill is now?

Wow, this thread revivified from the long dead. I well remember the Clock at Jefferson and Seminole in Indian Village. I used to go there for their breakfast specials. Lots of cops ate there [[I once got pulled over by a Bloomfield Hills cop who used to be on the DPD who, after he saw my license, asked after a specific waitress there). Later in the evening there were some...umm... more interesting characters hanging out there. Used to use their pay phone a lot in those pre-cell days.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast