Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

View Poll Results: Should People Mover Transit Police Force Single Parents to Collapse Their Strollers?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - you're stroller takes up too much space!

12 36.36%
  • No - Detroit should be ENCOURAGING families to come downtown and use mass transit.

20 60.61%
  • Undecided\neutral

1 3.03%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I'm still trying to figure out why the Tonka Toy Train has a separate PD detail.

From what I am reading your view depends on what side of the child you are on......non parents don't seem to like it, while those with children do..... I am a parent of grown chidren who have their own and can understand wanting to leave the child in the stroller....To me it depends on how crowded the mover is.....Its called Common Sense....Use it....on both sides of the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    Ironic, how in a town that is supposed to have no interest in Mass Transit, finds it's "auto spectacular" with 15 minute to half-an-hour waiting lines to catch a "little-tiny-train-to-nowhere."

Do you not suppose that these same folk would much rather catch this train back to their homes, rather than 3/4 of a mile to their cars, which they paid to park, and now have to sit in traffic?

Tell me that there is no demand for Mass Transportion in this region. Then look at that crowd that forms on the second level inside Cobo Hall, EVERY YEAR, trying to catch the people mover from the Auto Show.
    From someone who lives far from Detroit and Hamtramck, I'll testify that I'd be much more up for a ride into town than driving it on a regular basis. I listen to music and books on CD's to keep my mind occupied and avoid celebrity and catastrophe driven news. A ride in on a train would be nice - much like my periodic commutes from downtown Chicago to various burbs. I could read books, papers, work on business, listen to music and generally be more productive. I used to commute to A2 periodically when Amtramk was running multiple trains each day.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    You know, if you're going to use mass transit, there are certain rules you have to abide by:

1) Please don't wear backpacks. If the car gets crowded, there's a good chance your backpack will mash into the face of the 4-foot-2 grandmother standing behind you. Turn your backpack around and wear it in front while you're riding. Less danger of being pickpocketed that way too!

2) If you're on the platform ready to board a crowded train, stand aside the doors. Wait for people to get off. Don't stand in front of the doors or try to shove your way in right away.

3) If you're sitting in a seat and you see somebody who is elderly, infirm, ill, pregnant or tired, stand up and give them your seat. You'll be thankful someday.

4) Please collapse your stroller, or consider wearing your baby in a sling. Especially if it's crowded. Please try to plan ahead so you can collapse your stroller if it gets especially crowded.

Now, that said, how about this enforcement issue? I've seen it differently done.

For instance, in New York [[10 years ago), it seemed that people would pretty much enforce these rules among each other. Somebody would politely tell you to do something, or the conductor would announce, "Please let the passengers off. Step lively." People would give up their seats for those who needed them graciously, or with a little prodding.

In San Francisco, there seemed to be more officiousness about it. Signs on seats that barked: "FEDERAL LAW REQUIRES PASSENGERS TO RESERVE THESE SEATS FOR THE ELDERLY OR INFIRM." I never liked that much.

And then in Detroit, during special events, they send police to enforce the rules. Now, the "rules" -- as sensible as they are -- may not seem that way when enforced by our finest. But they do make sense.

And there's another truth in this: The denser the city gets, the less able parents and guardians will be to push their MAMMOTH baby strollers everywhere, and the less able they'll be to carry two days' worth of supplies for them and their baby. Baby slings are kind of cool; maybe we'll see more of them.
    Do these rules apply before or after drinking the better part of a fifth of Beam?

Quote Originally Posted by 1KielsonDrive View Post
    Do these rules apply before or after drinking the better part of a fifth of Beam?
    I can't help it, Kielson! I've always been sort of an athlete when it comes to drinking whiskey.

I"n San Francisco, there seemed to be more officiousness about it. Signs on seats that barked: "FEDERAL LAW REQUIRES PASSENGERS TO RESERVE THESE SEATS FOR THE ELDERLY OR INFIRM." I never liked that much."

My parents taught me to always give up my seat to a lady or an elderly person. I have always done that and shall continue to do so.

Only thing is, I'm 74, and there ain't many older than me any more.........But I'll still stand for a lady, even a younger one.

It's just the way I grew up.

Yeah, me too, Ray. But I just hate common courtesy being phrased as some sort of federal command.

Same with me Ray. I'm not sure what happened to common sense and being a gentlemen. My parents taught me to respect my elders, but really I didn't need it....it just makes sense to me. And it's not like I grew up in some different time when men acted the way they're supposed to either, I'm not even 30 yet. I open doors for women at stores or wherever, assist older folks off the bus, etc..... My wife is still awed by the fact that after 6 years together I still open her car door and then close it again when she's in, figurin' I just did it in the beginning to get in her pants lol. But nope [[well, maybe a little), it's just the way I am.

That's the way it SHOULD BE but a once a year event where people drive 30 miles or more then park and take the PM 6 blocks to look at cars!? They have no idea what courtesy means.
    Try crossing Woodward Ave. in a wheel chair.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2