Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

You're telling us to listen to Bill Shea over the Governor on this issue?

Novine, if you have something to dispute with what I wrote, I'm all ears.

NorthEndere Guest

Mike's our resident teabagger, in case no one has noticed. And, I've noticed that in my short time, here. Is anyone honestly surprised who he's making the argument for?

Quote Originally Posted by NorthEnder View Post
    Mike's our resident teabagger, in case no one has noticed. And, I've noticed that in my short time, here. Is anyone honestly surprised who he's making the argument for?
    I am not a tea drinker nor am I a scrotum sucker.

NorthEnder, if you have a problem with what I write, counter it with some opinion and facts, not juvenile name calling and sexual slurs.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthEnder View Post
    Is anyone honestly surprised who Northender is making the argument for?

Has anyone seen a map of where the new span would be built and what does it connect too? Any major highways?

"Novine, if you have something to dispute with what I wrote, I'm all ears."

My question isn't with what you wrote, it's with the idea that we should question Snyder's plans based on what you know or don't know. Stuedle's well-versed in what the FHA is going to expect for matching funds, etc. I would presume that if Snyder says that has been worked out, then it's been worked out.

Quote Originally Posted by kraig View Post
    While the paying back of the loan is still a concern [[the toll revenue numbers simply aren't there), it is good that he managed to leverage the loan for matching funds. ...
    This debate has been framed in terms of payback. Why?

We have FREEways in Michigan. The state [[or Feds) pay because good roads [[or public transit) help everyone economically. The Canadians get it. They're ready to fund to support their economy.

I crossed for free in Buffalo recently. Why can't this road be as toll-free as I-94.

Quote Originally Posted by Novine View Post

My question isn't with what you wrote, it's with the idea that we should question Snyder's plans based on what you know or don't know. Stuedle's well-versed in what the FHA is going to expect for matching funds, etc. I would presume that if Snyder says that has been worked out, then it's been worked out.
    How dare a reporter want real details instead of relying solely upon hearsay. Who the hell is anyone to question a politician? After all, it's a known fact that they tell the truth and provide full transparency 100% of the time. Let's face it, Kwame, Monica and Lonnie didn't go to jail because they did something wrong. It is all just a big misunderstanding.

All sarcasm aside, the additional road funds would be welcome in this state. At some point, if he's worked out a deal, Snyder is going to have to provide the Legislators and Senators in order for them to vote on it.

Besides, once Snyder put that information out there, it should be expected that someone would want to know the particulars of the deal. So a reporter [[Bill Shea) asking that question isn't a big deal. A real problem is that he appears to be one of the few reporters that actually looked at the speech objectively. Michigan is in no position for a honeymoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    This debate has been framed in terms of payback. Why?

We have FREEways in Michigan. The state [[or Feds) pay because good roads [[or public transit) help everyone economically. The Canadians get it. They're ready to fund to support their economy.

I crossed for free in Buffalo recently. Why can't this road be as toll-free as I-94.
    Did you walk across or drive across for free? This is an International Border Crossing that is going to require tolls to fund itself. From the State's perspective, the amount of revenue that's brought in for the state's responsibility needs to be enough to pay off the loan. Otherwise, the difference will have to come from the State's general fund. Which means some type of cut will have to be made such as State Police, Human Services or State road projects. From the Senate and House perspectives. Do you take the risk of neglecting the roads that 9 or 10 million state residents drive everyday for the sake of a border crossing that will, at best projections, only handle around 10 thousand vehicles per day? Especially, when you consider that the conversation for the new crossing has been reduced from need to simple redundacy.
    Last edited by kraig; January-21-11 at 12:51 PM.

This is why questions need to be answered.

Rep. Paul Opsommer, R-DeWitt, chairman of the House Transportation Committee, which must approve legislation allowing the DRIC to be built, said much of the GOP opposition focused on allowing the state to enter into joint contracts with private companies for roads and other transportation projects.
    He said he hopes those objections can be quelled with revisions to protect taxpayers from getting stuck with costs private companies should pay. The DRIC would be built and funded by a private contractor who would be paid back with bridge toll fees.

Now, if a private contractor is funding the building of the DRIC as stated. Why is a 550 million dollar loan to the State of Michigan needed? And doesn't this statement confilct with what Snyder said? If you're in the State House or the Senate, you would probably want clarification before you proceed.

Read more: Snyder's DRIC plan may pose difficulty with Republican-led Legislature | freep.com | Detroit Free Press http://www.freep.com/article/2011012...#ixzz1BgX0xlNW

Does anyone really think that traffic levels are not going to increase over the next 20, 30 or 50 years?

This bridge is needed not only for the future traffic increases but also for improved quality of life for a vast majority of residents on both sides of the border. Sure some residents will suffer from the new route but the trade-off between who's life improves and who's doesn't is quite large for the former.

Plus, it will help speed up deliveries because the new road to the DRIC crossing will bring it directly to the new bridge.

The argument for private over public is not convincing. Do we really want yet another important crossing being held by private enterprise? This is one area where the gov'ts of both coutnries should have an equal state in the border crossing.
    Maroun himself has shown to be anything other than pleasant when dealing with his bridge. In fact neither gov'ts can even get a proper maintenance record of the bridge under this man. So structurally speaking we don't know what shape the ABC bridge is even in.

Sorry but this is a great idea that should have been built 15 years ago. About damn time we start looking at modernizing our existing infrastructure and get into the 21st century.

As for all of the bullshit above by the teabaggers, tweakers, or whatever else each person wants to call the other. You are muddying the waters of what could be a good discussion on an important issue; while costing us pennys on our tax dollars. In my opinion, it is good money well spent [[well better than widening yet another highway or some other stupid idea).

It's my job, and that of every other reporter, to question Snyder and anyone else involved in this. Why would you blindly take anything any politician has to say? I'm not paid to presume anything -- from the govenor, Moroun, Steudle, FHWA or anyone else.

Are you familiar with the boondoggle with the Blue Water Bridge? MDOT's plaza for the new span was too small the day it opened in 1997 -- something Canada warned 'em about but was ignored. Now, we're footing the bill for what amounts to a $500 million parking lot that wipes out homes and businesses there. I damn near bought a house in that footprint in 2002-03, but thankfully didn't.

It's such massive screw-ups that prompt us to ask questions.

Snyder didn't provide any details on the FWHA agreement -- I didn't expect him to in such a TV speech -- but I am asking for the details. We never got the details on the original Canadian offer, either.

It's in the public's interest to know specifically how these agreements work. Why wouldn't you ask for specifics? It mean be a wonderful deal, or may be a smoke-mirrors sham. We don't know yet because we don't have details, and we're not going to get them unless reporters hold politicians accountable.

Here is the last official cost break down estimate on DRIC. The private-sector concessionaire would build the bride, approaches and plazas. The GSA would pay for their portion. These numbers likely have/or will change as steel prices change and the project's specific design is finalized.

The overall price is $5.3 billion, and that includes Canadian highway work linked to DRIC but isn’t officially part of the partnership’s work. The work on the bridge, plazas, interchanges and approaches is estimated at $2.1 billion. It’s broken down by MDOT as:
    ~ U.S. bridge and approach: $501.6 million.
    ~ Canadian bridge and approach: $447.4 million
    ~ U.S. toll plaza: $150.6 million
    ~ U.S. General Services Administration plaza: $270 million
    ~ Canadian plaza: $387.6 million
    ~ Interstate 75 interchange: $420 million

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Does anyone really think that traffic levels are not going to increase over the next 20, 30 or 50 years?

This bridge is needed not only for the future traffic increases but also for improved quality of life for a vast majority of residents on both sides of the border. Sure some residents will suffer from the new route but the trade-off between who's life improves and who's doesn't is quite large for the former.

Plus, it will help speed up deliveries because the new road to the DRIC crossing will bring it directly to the new bridge.

The argument for private over public is not convincing. Do we really want yet another important crossing being held by private enterprise? This is one area where the gov'ts of both coutnries should have an equal state in the border crossing.
    Maroun himself has shown to be anything other than pleasant when dealing with his bridge. In fact neither gov'ts can even get a proper maintenance record of the bridge under this man. So structurally speaking we don't know what shape the ABC bridge is even in.

Sorry but this is a great idea that should have been built 15 years ago. About damn time we start looking at modernizing our existing infrastructure and get into the 21st century.

As for all of the bullshit above by the teabaggers, tweakers, or whatever else each person wants to call the other. You are muddying the waters of what could be a good discussion on an important issue; while costing us pennys on our tax dollars. In my opinion, it is good money well spent [[well better than widening yet another highway or some other stupid idea).
    I'm curious: Do you support Moroun's plan to twin his 81-year-old, four-lane bridge?

MDOT does. Granholm did. The Detroit Regional Chamber does.

Because of Moroun and Canada's opposition to his plan, they're not often vocal about that support.

But MDOT documents show it constructed the $230 Gateway project not just to improve the connection to I75/96, but to handle a second span. That is fact.

If the border traffic estimates created for MDOT to justify DRIC come true -- and they predict broder traffic will grow by something like 70 percent in the next few years -- then not only would we need DRIC, but a larger, modern Ambassador Bridge, as well.

My sense is the anti-Moroun sentiment is so deep that it affects good public policy decisions. Some folks give me the sense they want DRIC to replace the Ambassador Bridge so Moroun would be harmed.

If you believe traffic and trade will rise, then logic says you want large, modernized capacity. And that means both DRIC and the second Ambassador Bridge span -- and trying to convince Canada to make improvements to Huron-Church Road and link it to the Windsor-Essex Parkway, right?

I will be curious to see, once Snyder's plan is made public, what the interest will be from the mega-infrastructure companies and from Wall Street. The bond market is skeptical of DRIC as a pure toll concession, as are the big construction companies -- which is why almost all of them that bid on DRIC asked for taxpayer subsidies rather than just reliance on tolls to repay capital and operational costs. Snyder's plan will have to satisfy those issues if there's any real hope of making this a P3 project.

Quote Originally Posted by Searay215 View Post
    Has anyone seen a map of where the new span would be built and what does it connect too? Any major highways?
    I have not seen a map or renderings, but WDIV reported it would be 1.5 miles downriver. So I'm guessing it will be right before or right after Fort Wayne . . .

Quote Originally Posted by BShea View Post
    It'sThe overall price is $5.3 billion, and that includes Canadian highway work linked to DRIC but isn’t officially part of the partnership’s work. The work on the bridge, plazas, interchanges and approaches is estimated at $2.1 billion. It’s broken down by MDOT as:
    ~ U.S. bridge and approach: $501.6 million.
    ~ Canadian bridge and approach: $447.4 million
    ~ U.S. toll plaza: $150.6 million
    ~ U.S. General Services Administration plaza: $270 million
    ~ Canadian plaza: $387.6 million
    ~ Interstate 75 interchange: $420 million
    I’m confused at this and maybe I don’t know what a "plaza" entails. But 150 million to build a plaza on the US side and 270 on the Canadian side. Isn’t the plaza just were cars come up to the little shacks to pay. How could the cost of this be 1/3 of the cost to build the bridge?

muskie1 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SaintMe View Post
    I have not seen a map or renderings, but WDIV reported it would be 1.5 miles downriver. So I'm guessing it will be right before or right after Fort Wayne . . .
    I think this may be it http://www.partnershipborderstudy.co...e_DRIC_ROD.pdf

"Snyder didn't provide any details on the FWHA agreement -- I didn't expect him to in such a TV speech -- but I am asking for the details. We never got the details on the original Canadian offer, either."

But that didn't stop you from speculating based on the old information. It's that's your style, have at it. But as we saw from people posting based on your comments, your uninformed speculation can take on a life beyond you.

Uninformed speculation? I know quite a bit about DRIC, more than I can report. I also know how the FHWA process works.

Do you prefer to just sit and wait until the politicians and bureaucrats decide to tell you what they think you should know, if anything? I'm not cool with that, but if that's your style, have at it.

There is no "old information" because nothing has every been made public, despite repeated requests. I'm going to question that, in public.

There is a $550 million offer [[which is UP TO that amount), and Snyder's people have told me that they don't yet know if it will be a loan or increased equity stake by Canada in DRIC. That raises huge questions that must be answered. Did Canada make a new offer, one in which it simple writes Michigan a check?

We don't even know the actual cost of DRIC, just estimates. Steel and other raw material costs, the reaction of the bond market and many other factors, including the concession agreement, will drive those costs. That $550 million number may bend up being more or less, unless there's been a new offer made.

I know how the federal highway formula works, this Snyder agreement raises questions that should be asked -- so I'm asking. I also offered potential scenarios of how the offer may work, based on the few known facts and how the formula works. You call it "uninformed speculation."

I don't want this done in the dark, even if Novine blindly trusts politicians and bureaucrats.

Maybe you're not interested in where tax money goes. I am, especially when it's BILLIONS.

"Snyder didn't provide any details on the FWHA agreement -- I didn't expect him to in such a TV speech -- but I am asking for the details. We never got the details on the original Canadian offer, either."

But that didn't stop you from speculating based on the old information. It's that's your style, have at it. But as we saw from people posting based on your comments, your uninformed speculation can take on a life beyond you.
    Can you indicate what he speculated? Or are you just speculating that he speculated?

Here's what I wrote about the DRIC-FHWA agreement Snyder mentioned. I posed questions:

~ Snyder said he and MDOT Director Kirk Stuedle have worked out a deal with the Federal Highway Administration that allows Michigan to use Canada's offer of up to $550 million to cover the state's DRIC capital costs as FHA's locally required matching funds for highway projects in the state. Typically, the state has to pay 20 percent and the feds pay the rest. Snyder didn't provide details. Canada offered the money in June, and it would pay for UP TO $550 million in Michigan's DRIC costs not covered by private sector or the federal government. No details were ever made public of the original offer, but it's been said that it was never a loan offer, but instead is simply Canada basically paying the entire DRIC construction cost, and then taking Michigan's portion of the bridge tolls to pay back whatever it spent on the Michigan side of the border. The biggest question Snyder's statement tonight prompts is thus: If Canada isn't actually giving Michigan cash, then the 20 percent local match on a federal highway project still has to come from somewhere. Will the feds simply pay 100 percent of any projects and consider the local portion a credit paid by Canada for Michigan?

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...-new-questions
    Last edited by BShea; January-21-11 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by Searay215 View Post
    There was another map in today's Detroit News with their Snyder shifts bridge equation article.

ferntruth Guest

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post

I used to think it would, but some posters on DY have convinced me that the suburbs are doomed, and everyone will be moving to Midtown and will live a life of urban bliss, where we will not need cars because mass transit will solve all our transportation problems.

Today [[February 16), Matthew Moroun "will address a significant matter as it relates to the ongoing discussion over the proposed new international bridge crossing".

Boy, I can't wait to hear what the Morouns have to say next in their ongoing saga to delay the DRIC. Obviously, as smart as the Morouns are, they should know that Canada will never allow them to build a new, privately owned bridge to funnel more traffic onto the streets of Windsor, so today's press conference can only serve to hinder the start of work on the DRIC.

Media Alert/ Interview Opportunity: Detroit International Bridge Company

The morouns can convert part of the Ambassador bridge to have a light rail line for pedestrian passengers as part of a complete renovation of that aging bridge..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast