Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Were you speaking about the Frank Gagnon items?

I belive it was Frank Gagens, and when it was a punk bar it was Bookies Club 870. Vince Bannon was doing the booking then left to start the City Club which then turned into the original Clutch Cargo's. Bookies was always Club 870 till it closed in 82.Name:  bookies_exterior.jpg
Views: 2956
Size:  25.8 KB

Wow that list brings back memories. What was the name of that bar/ club up on Woodward near the Lodge by Palmer? Not too far from Dalgliesh Cadillac dealership....? They used to feature reggae music... it was torn down...
    Quote Originally Posted by EastsideQT View Post
    My favorite dance clubs of the 60's

Greystone Ballroom
    20 Grand
    Dancery
    Lafayette Orleans
    Climaxx
    Grandy Ballroom
    Mr. Kelley's
    Latin Quarter
    Palldium

Seems I was a kid when this stuff was hay day. Hamilton south of six mile is horrible now. Much needing to be razed with a back hoe. What is was sounds like it was nice. There were some spots on Dexter and Linwood too. All gone.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkbradley View Post
    Yes Chuck, that was the La Fontaine, on Hamilton, between, I think, Grove and North. I lived on Hamilton just a few blocks South of that block. You should see that area now...shocking! Here's another fascinating - and hard for me to believe now - but quite true fact - by 1970 or so the few blocks on Hamilton south of McNichols [[6 Mile) had become a bohemian district of 10 or more antique/resale stores which briefly gave the area a sort of Plum Street flair [[I would love to see photos of it). It almost seems to me now that I must have dreamed it [[given what the area devolved to), but I remember being shocked to see it some time around '71 - we moved from the area in '65 and I had been away [[Army) from '69 - to '71 so I hadn't seen it develop, but it was there! The "Tick Tock Shop" still remains - not open - but the sign painted on the side of the building remains, or did at least a couple of years ago.

Hmmm, just did some digging online and I think it was called the Serengeti Ballroom during the 70's-80's but what was it before that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Wow that list brings back memories. What was the name of that bar/ club up on Woodward near the Lodge by Palmer? Not too far from Dalgliesh Cadillac dealership....? They used to feature reggae music... it was torn down...

I used to hang out at Club Polski's on 6 Mile and Conant in the late 60's - early 70's when it was just a neighborhood rock n roll bar . Enter disco and the bar turned into disco and thats when I stopped going to that bar . Didn't a DJ for WABX have a burn disco records somewhere and caused a riot ..Chicago maybe lol

Sure. Good memories

Quote Originally Posted by EastownPunk View Post
    I belive it was Frank Gagens, and when it was a punk bar it was Bookies Club 870. Vince Bannon was doing the booking then left to start the City Club which then turned into the original Clutch Cargo's. Bookies was always Club 870 till it closed in 82.Name:  bookies_exterior.jpg
Views: 2956
Size:  25.8 KB
    That's a great pic of Gagens. It was such a cool Art Deco bar before it was trashed. Your right it was Vince Bannon. I saw the Police there on their first American tour. I think Bookie died in 1986. Great memories.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2