Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
So, they aren't writing tickets, but they did anyway, and if I got a ticket, I have to fight it? Whaaat? Just rescind the dang things!
This sounds like a money grab on the part of the City of Detroit, plain and simple. Sure, the signs say parking enforcement Monday - Saturday, but meter-maids don't work on Saturdays and so in most cases no one would be writing a ticket on Saturdays. However, regular patrol cops can still write out tickets on Saturdays if they have been ordered to do so.

Now, the city knew that people were coming down to the Auto Show and that some would be parking on the streets thinking that they wouldn't be ticketed for parking in front of expired meters. If meter-maids don't work on Saturdays, then who was the person responsible for getting things mixed-up, according to Ms. Dumas? Not their supervisors because they wouldn't have been working that day either. However, the powers that be let it be known to the police department to use some of their patrol cops who would be monitoring traffic to go ahead and give out tickets to those whose parking meters expired. Trust me, it went down that way. For Karen Dumas to say that there is this unwritten rule that parking on the streets downtown is not enforced on Saturdays and then all of a sudden it is enforced, proves my point that the powers that be in city government were out to make a quick buck.

And finally, Ms. Dumas says that people can contest the tickets. The problem with that is the hassle you have to go through. You still have to take off time from work to go to court, and then hope that the judge remembers that on the date of January 15, 2011 the city announced that any tickets written out that day are to be rescinded. Good luck with all that. It's better to just pay the ticket, and that's what the city is counting on.