Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Thread: OMG, Ikea!

Threaded View

Default OMG, Ikea!

There are many threads started on complaints...but I have to share this story, and some serious KUDOS to Ikea.

We got a French Press coffee 'machine' from them, sometime before Christmas...and it cracked with the fourth or fifth use. My honey said, 'just throw it out.'

I couldn't.

But wouldn't drive all the way across town, suffering that damned Ford Road exit and the maze of that store for ten buck's worth of shoddy material.

Had to go out to Canton/Westland for a few other things, and remembered to put that press in the car. Walked through the kitchen stuff without finding another like it...and NO salesperson until the next pass-through, and they had attitude. Bad attitude.

I took it over to returns, finding it despite the kitchen-furnishing person's very minimal instructions, and the person there took care of me and issued a store credit. Turns out they discontinued that item [[we joked that ALL of them must've broken!). All of this without a receipt, outside of the very clearly stated store policy.

I went back and wandered through the kitchen stuff again, to see if there was anything I could quickly spend my $10.59 store credit on...

...and got SIX stylish Pint glasses, TWO large brandy/cognac snifters, and a matching place-mat for the kitchen table. Total expenditure..without applying the credit...$11.62! Eleven dollars for all of that...let's hope these glass items last longer than the coffee press, but they look quite a bit better made.

That unhappy person with attitude back in home furnishings? Well...by the time the fun returns person was done with me...someone had thrown up in the middle of the section, and they were forced to guard it until the cleaners showed up.

Fitting, in my estimation. But it made me wonder about the yakker...were they exhausted from running that retail maze?! At least now Ikea has clear signage with graphics, and posted shortcuts.

To everything but the returns line...LOL.

Ikea has me for life now. It is the little things which truly count in customer service. A few good people MORE than make up for the one who may have been having a bad day, but karma took care of them.

btw, the Canton Guitar Center has great staff, too. One fellow somewhat sarcastically said he was "livin' the dream", but I had to remind him that anything on this side of the dirt may indeed be a dream. He took enough time to show me what I needed, for a small sale. Guitar Center has me for life, too...although I wish they had at least ONE store in the area with all of the little adapters they show on their website.
    Cheers
    Last edited by Gannon; January-14-11 at 12:29 PM.