Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by rjlj View Post
    Who cares. The last thing downtown needs or Detroit for that matter is another chain fast food restaurant.
    I agree, who cares? It just fills up another vacant spot and maybe creates a few jobs, increases tax revenues...

One of the dual Taco Bell/KFC's would do great downtown. Besides, it would give the homeless somewhere to go besides Roast.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    One of the dual Taco Bell/KFC's would do great downtown. Besides, it would give the homeless somewhere to go besides Roast.
    Very good Don, I agree!

I never said I was against jobs and filling vacant space, I just thought for once that we could be a little more creative than bringing cookie cutter chains that cheapen the image of downtown. Why can't incentives be made available to non-chain businesses, lets say from Southwest Detroit that want to open a Mexican restaurant where space to lease is reasonable and local food vendors are used like tortillas from La Jalisciense Tortilla Factory and Salsa from Garden Fresh. Just think of that, fresh healthy food. Commercial space gets filed, jobs are created, the community benefits, and the consumer benefits. Maybe it will attract people from outside of Detroit eat there. You don't see chains promoting the city like other non-chain restaurant owners do. You don't see other people flocking to the city to visit the unique chains of Downtown Detroit. You don't see national news stories about the Subway at Grand Circus Park like you do of other Downtown Restaurants.

Quote Originally Posted by marcwigle View Post
    I agree, who cares? It just fills up another vacant spot and maybe creates a few jobs, increases tax revenues...

Del Taco? Whaaa...? What next, In-N-Out Burger? What do they think this is, Los Angeles?

Quote Originally Posted by rjlj View Post
    I never said I was against jobs and filling vacant space, I just thought for once that we could be a little more creative than bringing cookie cutter chains that cheapen the image of downtown. Why can't incentives be made available to non-chain businesses, lets say from Southwest Detroit that want to open a Mexican restaurant where space to lease is reasonable and local food vendors are used like tortillas from La Jalisciense Tortilla Factory and Salsa from Garden Fresh. Just think of that, fresh healthy food. Commercial space gets filed, jobs are created, the community benefits, and the consumer benefits. Maybe it will attract people from outside of Detroit eat there. You don't see chains promoting the city like other non-chain restaurant owners do. You don't see other people flocking to the city to visit the unique chains of Downtown Detroit. You don't see national news stories about the Subway at Grand Circus Park like you do of other Downtown Restaurants.
    What do you think this is, San Francisco?

And there we have it, I have made your point.

muskie1 Guest

I am not a big fan of chain food, but have to say I can not argue with their success. The problem with many small restaurants is no matter how good they are,they usually are run by people with little business sense. They have a huge failure rate and at least a chain place has a solid plan and money to back it. Jobs are jobs and I don't care where they come from