Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Did management remove the panhandler? The manager should have offered his apology but I am surprised that the guy made it past the doormen. I'd complain formally to both the hotel management and the GM of Roast...in writing. If the manager was notified at the time of the incident he/she should have made some gesture, but if the manager wasn't informed...
    Last edited by detroitbob; January-13-11 at 11:58 PM.

DetroitDad Guest

This happened to me while out with my wife and daughter at Luci and Ethel's [[Leland Building), IHOP [[Jefferson Avenue), and a McDonalds [[Woodward Avenue Midtown). I got a free or discounted meal in all of those places, and I didn't have to bother complaining about it to get it, they offered right away.

Likewise, RAW [[Woodward Avenue Midtown) and the New Parthenon [[Greektown) has taken very good care of us whenever an issue arose.

Apparently Royal Oak has addressed this situation by making panhandling straight up illegal:

http://www.detnews.com/article/20110...ti-begging-law

I do not think that such measures should be taken in Detroit because panhandling is too prevalent to enforce, not to mention such a law is probably unconstitutional.

I went to Roast for the first time last week during its Friday happy hour and had a $4 Roast Burger [[a burger served on an English muffin with an egg and bacon) some $2.50 pomme frites [[which were really just skinny french fries that didn't even come with mayonnaise), and a $4 pint of Pilsner Urquel. Sure the burger was pretty tasty, but an equally satisfying hamburger can be had any day of the week at the Bronx Bar at an even more satisfying price, and you know Charlene, Derek or Chris sure as hell wouldn't put up with any panhandling. As I sat in Roast, I came to the conclusion that you are really only paying for the illusion of exclusivity when you dine there. This conclusion has been reinforced by the fact that someone was panhandling inside.

Quote Originally Posted by boogiechillen View Post
    Apparently Royal Oak has addressed this situation by making panhandling straight up illegal:

http://www.detnews.com/article/20110...ti-begging-law

I do not think that such measures should be taken in Detroit because panhandling is too prevalent to enforce, not to mention such a law is probably unconstitutional.
    I doubt that panhandling is legal in Detroit.

Too bad about the experience. The Host/Hostess station does play a filtering role and the waiter perhaps was more along the lines of "it's not me, folks" and looks like he handled it with the patron as much as they could.

Could have been an off night, short-staffed, etc. many things are going on in the background that patrons, rightfully so, don't or shouldn't know about. I've done time in many restaurants in my life and I would guess that the waitstaff was completely embarrassed and very appreciative of the patrons choice not to be an ass about it with them. Hopefully, the patron did not take it out on them regarding the tip.

Now, management ... that's another issue. They are the ones who are supposed to be on top of this. Personally, I would contact them in writing and explain the situation, giving them an opportunity to make it right. If you choose to do so, please include in your letter how this situation placed the waitstaff in a very uncomfortable position and they should be commended on how they handled it.

Positive word of mouth advertising is critical in this field. If they make it right, please make sure give'em mad props.

Being accosted by homeless people happens all the time in Detroit. This has happeded to me many times in restaurants and bars. I suggest you accept this if you are going to spend any time in Detroit. They are homeless and desperate. I doubt it's that hard to sneak past a teenage hostess. Hardly Roast's fault.

Regardless, the waiter should have noticed you were not amused, and you should have received a discount but you didn't even get an apology. That's a bummer, I would have taken up a complaint with management.

Quote Originally Posted by Baselinepunk View Post
    Too bad about the experience. The Host/Hostess station does play a filtering role and the waiter perhaps was more along the lines of "it's not me, folks" and looks like he handled it with the patron as much as they could.

Could have been an off night, short-staffed, etc. many things are going on in the background that patrons, rightfully so, don't or shouldn't know about. I've done time in many restaurants in my life and I would guess that the waitstaff was completely embarrassed and very appreciative of the patrons choice not to be an ass about it with them. Hopefully, the patron did not take it out on them regarding the tip.

Now, management ... that's another issue. They are the ones who are supposed to be on top of this. Personally, I would contact them in writing and explain the situation, giving them an opportunity to make it right. If you choose to do so, please include in your letter how this situation placed the waitstaff in a very uncomfortable position and they should be commended on how they handled it.

Positive word of mouth advertising is critical in this field. If they make it right, please make sure give'em mad props.
    I sent them a letter, I did not lambaste the waiter...but did voice my dissatisfaction with the experience. I'll see if the GM does in fact get back to me....BTW, I tipped him a very good amount.

That dude probably went right out and nabbed that BMW with the tracking feature that isn't quite working yet!

How dose having the bill adjusted, or given a free desert make everything OK? If you get some free compensation, do you suddenly forget the incident happened? Or, as I suspect, do you just want something free.

Quote Originally Posted by eno View Post
    You may have noticed it was winter outside. While you bask in the warmth of an excellent restaurant, anticipating the arrival of a hearty meal, your moment of bliss is interrupted by the reality of someone in need.
    Not only that, I'll bet you he didn't even once think about the suffering people in Darfur while he was eating like a king. Who does this guy think he is going to a fine restaurant and expecting to enjoy himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    How dose having the bill adjusted, or given a free desert make everything OK? If you get some free compensation, do you suddenly forget the incident happened? Or, as I suspect, do you just want something free.
    To be compensated does not forgive it. Listen, if I wanted something free, I wouldn't eat at Roast. I'd go to Burger King and get a buy 1 get 1.

Thanks Planner. Looking forward to see how this all goes. Roast is on my list of places to go for a very special occasion in the next two weeks, but I'll take them off of the list if they don't handle it well.

Roast has a great happy hour, that is all I know.

So how's the food at this place?

How does it compare to some of the finer restaurants downtown?
    Speaking of finer restaurants, which one is considered Detroit's best?

Im going there in a couple weeks for the first time [[GF's birthday) What is the attire like in there? What should I expect to pay for a dinner for two with a drink or two?

Quote Originally Posted by guito13 View Post
    Im going there in a couple weeks for the first time [[GF's birthday) What is the attire like in there? What should I expect to pay for a dinner for two with a drink or two?
    The cost of your meal will depend on your menu choice, drink selection and how much you tip the homeless. =)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    The cost of your meal will depend on your menu choice, drink selection and how much you tip the homeless. =)
    The only thing i tip the homeless with is my doggie bag of food when i am eating down there. I refuse to give them money.

Quote Originally Posted by ResurgetCineribus View Post
    Being accosted by homeless people happens all the time in Detroit. This has happeded to me many times in restaurants and bars. I suggest you accept this if you are going to spend any time in Detroit. They are homeless and desperate. I doubt it's that hard to sneak past a teenage hostess. Hardly Roast's fault.

Regardless, the waiter should have noticed you were not amused, and you should have received a discount but you didn't even get an apology. That's a bummer, I would have taken up a complaint with management.
    Dude, if you read any of my other posts, you can clearly see that I live downtown, and I do accept the homeless. But not in a fine establishment. This is the whole point of my thread!

DetroitPole Guest

Quote Originally Posted by eno View Post
    You may have noticed it was winter outside. While you bask in the warmth of an excellent restaurant, anticipating the arrival of a hearty meal, your moment of bliss is interrupted by the reality of someone in need. Your disgust with the beggar is transferred to the waiter because he didn't kiss your ass enough with apologies to your satisfaction. You still harbor negative feelings from the event to take the time to complain about your dilemma. Have a nice life.
    Since you're Mother Theresa-reincarnate, please give me you address so I can drop some homeless people off at your house. You may have noticed it is winter outside, while you bask in the warmth of the glow of your monitor, there are people in need, you insensitive so-and-so. How dare you. At least from where you're sitting you can talk down to people on the internet. Thank G-d you are in the world to help us see the error of our selfish ways.

I had dinner at Roast a few months ago and it was one of the top dining experiences of the year for me. My friend and I shared a bottle of Chilean wine which was very strong and delicious. My husband got the bone marrow appetizers and it was, well, interesting -- we're still talking about it, anyway. I don't even remember what I got [[whitefish?), but I remember everything being absolutely wonderful: the service, food, ambiance...everything. The waiter was great to us, even though we looked like we couldn't afford to be eating there [[hoodies, jeans, etc.).

I agree with Planner. If someone from the street had come to our table and asked us for money I would've been totally pissed. I'm surprised the restaurant let hit happen, and I'm shocked at the audacity of someone to come in off the street and ask someone who's eating dinner for spare change. I don't care if you are at Roast or American Coney Island, no one deserves to have their meal interrupted like that. Just because you are homeless or a bum does not give you the right to be rude.

When people come into my business and start asking my customers for anything, they are asked to leave immediately [[usually they don't get past the front door, but we don't always have a door man). You cannot pester paying customers, bottom line. There's a time and a place.

It's been fascinating to read this thread, and to read everyone's take on the situation.

It would seem to have been the server's responsibility to let the manager know there was a panhandler inside the restaurant. And it would seem absolutely to have been the managers's right to eject the panhandler. Also, it seemed wholly inappropriate for the server to have made light of the situation.

The facts that it was winter, the panhandler was probably hungry, and that the customers probably had money to spare are not relevant here. I count myself among the most generous people on the planet, but if I were dining at what sounds like quite an upscale restaurant, to be approached by a panhandler would have been unacceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit500 View Post
    Roast is not "casual" service... They wipe your table off with those scrapers between each course... When was the last time Applebees did that? or Hockeytown cafe?
    I'm talking about their manner and dress. They wear untucked shirts and Chuck Taylors, much less intimidating to contemporary diners who want to relax, eat good food, and enjoy a bottle of wine without the folderol. That's why I compared them to liveried, tuxedoed service.

Anyway, I wouldn't know anything about the fine dining culture at Applebee's or Hockeytown.

Default Eat somewhere else

Now you know where not to eat again since the manager can't see nothing going on

Quote Originally Posted by Pushtina View Post
    What exactly was your waiter supposed to do in this situation?
    Thank you. [[S)he was probably as surprised as you were. And, as uncomfortable.

As a former server....I think a simple "I'm sorry for the inconvenience this has caused. I will report it to my management immediately" would have been a satisfactory response. Then it would have been up to management to deal with the vagrant, the customer and the staff to try to make sure this doesn't happen again.

I worked in a much less classy restaurant, but my manager would have, at the very least, gone to the customer's table and made an apology, and then, at least for show, chastised the hostess for not paying better attention, though probably not in front of the customer. My training in food service taught me that keeping the customer happy is the goal and you do what you can to achieve that goal so that customer will return and hopefully bring a few of his or her friends back too.

The only time that didn't hold true was if the customer was rude or belligerent or disrespectful to the staff. I don't think this was the case here. I'm with Planner3357. I think the wait staff or the manager should have made an immediate apology, not joked about it gone on their merry way.

I hope management responds to you Planner....looking forward to hearing what they have to say.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast