Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

It's a local paper. It should focus on local news and information. There are other sources for national news, especially stories that are as heavily covered as this. Put the local stories on the front page and the national stuff inside.

But I stress, local NEWS. Sports is not news and should never be on the front page. Sports has a separate section so keep the coverage there.

I'm right with you Meddle!

I know the News has just as much syndicated national news from AP and elsewhere, but I've long preferred the News over the Free Press. Their writing seems to be more complete and certainly less tabloid. They also tend to have more articles about topics that interest me than the Free Press does. If I have to choose, I always choose the Detroit News over the Free Press unless there's some story in the Freep that is particularly grabbing my attention.

Does anybody still read the Free Press? If so why?

DetroitPole Guest

Obama's speech was somber. He didn't encourage, and could not prevent, from those people bursting into applause and whatever the hell else they were doing. Can't people fucking sit still and not be entertained or riled up for any lengthy amount of time?
    A solemn event can be quietly joyous. You don't have to be chest-bumping to be celebrating.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideQT View Post
    Does anybody still read the Free Press? If so why?
    Because I live in Nevada and still long to know what's going on "back home". So there!

thatguy123 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    The NYT is a fantastic paper, though kind of conservative.
    Wow I almost spit my beer out when reading this. The New York Times "kind of conservative"? The NYT is considered the most liberal newspaper in the country.

Considered liberal by people who do not read the New York Times. I smile every time I read about how "liberal" is it.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPole View Post
    Obama's speech was somber. He didn't encourage, and could not prevent, from those people bursting into applause and whatever the hell else they were doing. Can't people fucking sit still and not be entertained or riled up for any lengthy amount of time?
    A solemn event can be quietly joyous. You don't have to be chest-bumping to be celebrating.
    Different people grieve differently. Just because people are applauding, laughing, or cheering doesn't mean that they're not grieving or meaning to be disrespectful.

One of my dearest friends died suddenly last spring. She was my age and just about to launch into everything in her young life. Her funeral lasted five hours -- we cried, we wailed, we laughed, and the UM Chorale sang. At the end, we sang all "I'm Goin' Up Yonder" at the top of our lungs after the minister and her mother started the song. Talk about catharsis.

Just like some of you believe that loud funerals are disrespectful, some of us believe that the "stoicism" valued by others means you really didn't love the person in question. I've been to some really sad and awful funerals, but never one that didn't also celebrate life. Most of those I hold the dearest in my life wouldn't want a homegoing that didn't do just that.

Different people grieve differently.

Thatguy: How often do you read the Times?

To most far-right religious conservatives, the NYT may seem "liberal", but that is just a reflection of their own extreme conservativism. Being a New York paper, one would expect the NYT to be progressive on certain issues, but for the most part it is unbiased in its reporting. Granted, when the primary source of news for some people is Fox or conservative talk radio, everything else is going to appear "liberal".

I didn't read through this whole thread, but if were talking about the NY Times editorial page of course they lean to the left. I didn't think there was much debate about that.

I think the Obama speech relieved a lot of the stress people were feeling about the funeral. As he hit points they agreed with, their reaction was as we saw. He didn't Palinize it, he spoke eloquently about the people they were there to honor, it was a very good speech. I'm not an Obama fan but I have to admit it.

The look on Michelle Obama's face through it reminded me that they are the parents of two young girls, and every time he mentioned Christina Green you could tell that went straight home. Very heartfelt.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2