Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 19 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    I'm seeing a trend here from the people that have spoken up with their far flung predictions:

smogboy 9-7
    kenp 8-8 sober; possibly more with a hit to the bong
    downriviera 10-6 with the caveat of a healthy Stafford
    downriviera 8-8 without Stafford
    gnome 11-5
    firstandten 8-8
    -and my call at 8-8.
    To toss into the predictions hopper, here are the Free Press' pundits predictions for the year:

Mitch Albom- 8-8
    Dave Birkett- 9-7
    Carlos Monarrez- 8-8
    Michael Rosenberg- 11-5
    Drew Sharp 6-10

I have yet to see what the Detroit New gurus have in mind.

Also Dean Holden of the much vaunted Bleacher Report has our Lions going 9-7.

Also a great analysis of the team, its individual break out players, etc..:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/8...-award-winners

Those predictions that Truster posted were all made before the first pre-season game. We might want to push reset now that Leshore is gone, Fairley is a question mark and Harris is in the hunt for a new uniform.

I'm not sure I'd change my 11-5 prediction, but I'd like to think about it. ... thoughts?

Smogboy, that bleacherreport article is interesting and I do go there every so often, but I've noticed that that site is really aimed at "homers". If you take a look at the other teams, you'll notice the articles are ususally pretty optimistic. Not saying it isn't a fun read, but I don't know if their reporters are very objective.

I'm 6-10. Their offensive line is pathetic, and so is the run game. Stafford is hurt by game 5. Too much emphasis on the 4 wins last year, which now means nothing. They've got a heck of a tough schedule too.

I believe that they will go anywhere from 11-5 to 13-3. Stafford is going to start all 16 games and both the offense and defense will be very dangerous. The rushing attack is not going to be nearly as bad as everyone thinks. No one is going to be able to stack the line, so Best/Harrison and the new guy Keiland Williams are going to be productive.

Quote Originally Posted by Bong-Man View Post
    I'm 6-10. Their offensive line is pathetic, and so is the run game. Stafford is hurt by game 5. Too much emphasis on the 4 wins last year, which now means nothing. They've got a heck of a tough schedule too.
    I don't see how you can paint that offensive line as being overall pathetic. They were pretty darn good in protecting the QB last year with the one lone exception of the Julius Peppers hit on Stafford. How many times do we need to re-visit that disaster this season? I'll give you the fact that they still might not run block as well as they should but pass protection wise they did pretty well last year and I think will do so again this year.

Is it me or what, but where do people come up with these predictions as to how long Stafford is going to play? You're not the only one I've heard bongman; I hear it on sports talk radio too. Do they randomly pull them out of their asses or what? Sorry to be so vocal but do you secretly want him to get hurt to validate your prediction or what? How does one predict injuries??

I look at this team as it is now. I don't put any credence into last year's four game winning streak nor do I put any credibility into the last four pre-season games. I'm still going to predict 8-8 based upon the fact that we have a smarter QB, better offensive weapons to throw to [[no more Johnson & Williams), a better linebacker group, and one of the most feared front four defensively in the league. I'll agree on the immensely tough schedule but I think they'll surprise us with a few unexpected wins and disappoint us with a few stinkers too.
    Last edited by Thruster315; September-07-11 at 10:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ejames01 View Post
    I believe that they will go anywhere from 11-5 to 13-3. Stafford is going to start all 16 games and both the offense and defense will be very dangerous. The rushing attack is not going to be nearly as bad as everyone thinks. No one is going to be able to stack the line, so Best/Harrison and the new guy Keiland Williams are going to be productive.
    That's some high numbers and some crazed optimism there! Again I won't go out that far on the limb but I applaud you for being this bold and badass about it!

Not at all Thruster. My take on Stafford is that he hasn't played enough. He has shown a major flaw that no one else seems to want to discuss....he holds the ball too long. With this line, he'll eventually be pummeled again, unless he's learned his lesson. As far as our offensive line, have I missed a 1,000 yard rusher along the way ? Which year was it we weren't down to our 3rd string quarterback ? Backus and Raiola will be better this year ? Sorry, but I'm quite skeptical.

Fairley has proved nothing yet except that he can eat. I think he was a good pick for the future, but he's not a difference maker in any way, shape, or form for this season. Our D Line was already the strength of the team. We've made some good moves as far as filling our roster, but how many games will it take for everyone to get on the same page ?

Chris Carter was right. Calvin Johnson has yet to make an important catch that won anything. You become an elite player in the NFL when you make clutch catches that take your team to the next level. I'm not saying he's not capable of doing that, I'm saying he hasn't done it yet. Am I negative ? Nah.....just residing in Missouri until they prove different. They still don't deserve any more than that.

Not at all Thruster. My take on Stafford is that he hasn't played enough. He has shown a major flaw that no one else seems to want to discuss....he holds the ball too long. With this line, he'll eventually be pummeled again, unless he's learned his lesson. As far as our offensive line, have I missed a 1,000 yard rusher along the way ? Which year was it we weren't down to our 3rd string quarterback ? Backus and Raiola will be better this year ? Sorry, but I'm quite skeptical.

Fairley has proved nothing yet except that he can eat. I think he was a good pick for the future, but he's not a difference maker in any way, shape, or form for this season. Our D Line was already the strength of the team. We've made some good moves as far as filling our roster, but how many games will it take for everyone to get on the same page ?

Chris Carter was right. Calvin Johnson has yet to make an important catch that won anything. You become an elite player in the NFL when you make clutch catches that take your team to the next level. I'm not saying he's not capable of doing that, I'm saying he hasn't done it yet. Am I negative ? Nah.....just residing in Missouri until they prove different. They still don't deserve any more than that.
    Clutch catches????

Detroit at Buffalo - 0:14 remaining in 4th Qtr: C.Johnson 20 yd. TD pass from Sh.Hill
    > Missed 2 pt conversion to Tie

Detroit at NYG - 13:17 remaining in 4th Qtr: C.Johnson 87 yd. TD pass from D.Stanton
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDQoh...eature=related
    > 4 pts down. Defense couldn't hold

Detroit at Chicago - 0:31 remaining in 4td Qtr: C.Johnson 25 yd. TD pass from S. Hill on 2nd down.
    > Game was Stolen 19-14
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-P77TjbENQ

Chicago at Detroit - 0:34 remaining in 2nd Qtr: C.Johnson 46 yd. TD pass from D.Stanton
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SM-pC...eature=related
    > Decreased Chicago's lead to 3 pts, but they Lost by 4.

Detroit at Tampa Bay - Caught 2 passes in tying drive, 1 pass in winning drive
    > Won 23-20 OT
    > Caught 10 passes for 152 yds

Washington at Detroit - 3:12 remaining in 4td Qtr: C.Johnson 10 yd. TD pass from M. Stafford on 4th down.
    > Lions Won 37-25
    > Caught 9 passes for 101 yds including 3 touchdowns.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlK9F...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuRVf...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5mwB...eature=related
    > Scored go ahead TD.
    Last edited by ejames01; September-08-11 at 11:10 AM.

Better fill that bowl again Bongman, with EJ smacking you around, you're gonna need to chill.

Cut and paste the following schedule with your thoughts on the outcome

-------------
    Week 1 at Tampa -
    Week 2 vs. Chiefs -
    Week 3 at Vikings -
    Week 4 at Dallas -
    Week 5 vs. Bears -
    Week 6 vs. 49ers -
    Week 7 vs. Atlanta -
    Week 8 at Denver -
    Week 10 at Bears -
    Week 11 vs. Panthers -
    Week 12 vs. Packers -
    Week 13 at Saints -
    Week 14 vs. Vikings -
    Week 15 at Raiders -
    Week 16 vs. Chargers -
    Week 17 at Packers -

-------------------

Ok, here are my picks:

Week 1 at Tampa - Loss, the heat in Tampa zaps our strength
    Week 2 vs. Chiefs - Win, revenge at home
    Week 3 at Vikings - Win, a spanking
    Week 4 at Dallas - Win
    Week 5 vs. Bears - Loss in a heartbearker
    Week 6 vs. 49ers - Win, SF continues their quest to match our 0-16 record
    Week 7 vs. Atlanta - Loss
    Week 8 at Denver - Win
    Week 10 at Bears - Win,
    Week 11 vs. Panthers - Win
    Week 12 vs. Packers - Loss, turkeybone gets stuck sideways
    Week 13 at Saints - Loss, close but no
    Week 14 vs. Vikings - Win
    Week 15 at Raiders - Win
    Week 16 vs. Chargers - Loss, coal in our Xmas Eve stockings
    Week 17 at Packers - Win, the tundra curse is broken

So, revised guess puts me at 10 - 6. I'm not venturing into possible play-off calls.

The whole guessing thing means as much as the pre-season. Nothing. But it is fun to look back upon once the season is done.

Ok, what say you?

EJ's 2011 predictions
    -------------
    Week 1 at Tampa - Win
    Week 2 vs. Chiefs - Win
    Week 3 at Vikings - Win
    Week 4 at Dallas - Win
    Week 5 vs. Bears - Win
    Week 6 vs. 49ers - Win
    Week 7 vs. Atlanta - Lose
    Week 8 at Denver - Win
    Week 10 at Bears - Win
    Week 11 vs. Panthers - Win
    Week 12 vs. Packers - Win
    Week 13 at Saints - Lose
    Week 14 vs. Vikings - Win
    Week 15 at Raiders - Win
    Week 16 vs. Chargers - Lose
    Week 17 at Packers - Lose

12-4

Okay, here are my picks.

Week 1 at Tampa - WIN
    Week 2 vs. Chiefs - WIN
    Week 3 at Vikings - L
    Week 4 at Dallas - L
    Week 5 vs. Bears - WIN
    Week 6 vs. 49ers - L
    Week 7 vs. Atlanta - WIN
    Week 8 at Denver - WIN
    Week 10 at Bears - L
    Week 11 vs. Panthers - WIN
    Week 12 vs. Packers - WIN
    Week 13 at Saints - L
    Week 14 vs. Vikings - WIN
    Week 15 at Raiders - WIN
    Week 16 vs. Chargers - WIN
    Week 17 at Packers - L

10-6

Damn. I'd best get my ass in gear here and plop down my predictions before I get called out for being late to the Lions party here.

Week 1 at Tampa - win
    Week 2 vs. Chiefs - win
    Week 3 at Vikings - loss
    Week 4 at Dallas - loss
    Week 5 vs. Bears - loss
    Week 6 vs. 49ers - win
    Week 7 vs. Atlanta - loss
    Week 8 at Denver - win
    Week 10 at Bears - win
    Week 11 vs. Panthers - win
    Week 12 vs. Packers - loss
    Week 13 at Saints - loss
    Week 14 vs. Vikings - win
    Week 15 at Raiders - win
    Week 16 vs. Chargers - loss
    Week 17 at Packers - loss

Whaddaya know I'm still on course for my 8-8 prediction. Personally I hate doing week-by-week predictions so early; things can change in the season especially when it comes to injuries not just to our team but others, but I can get into the spirit of things here.

MEGATRON STRIKES AGAIN
    Matthew Stafford goes deep on 4th and 3 and finds Calvin Johnson for a TD.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201109...4045&tab=track

I sure am glad I was wrong about my Tampa pick! Nice win. Parts looked very strong, much stronger than the score would indicate, however, TB still found a way to make it close - down to the final seconds - close.

Nice win. On the road, tough conditions with the heat. A few hiccups but lots of bright spots. Game sure seemed long to me. Is the extra time to review each td making the game that much longer?

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    Nice win. On the road, tough conditions with the heat. A few hiccups but lots of bright spots. Game sure seemed long to me. Is the extra time to review each td making the game that much longer?
    The game did seem long but this is where I think this was a prime example of a game where the score didn’t exactly show the reality of the game. The Lions dominated the first half. Dare I say the defense was amazing and/ or the Tampa Bay offense stalled. If it wasn’t for the pick by Talib off of our receiver’s hands, we might’ve even had them further back on their heels. What was 20-13 very well could’ve been 20-6 by the half.

I recall the stat that Tampa Bay not get a first down until well into the second quarter. Even with an amazing return by Stroughter, they couldn’t get a first down. Blount for all of his pre-game smack talk of running over Suh was held in check to a miserable 15 yards.

Simply put the Lions took care of business early on and beat Tampa pretty soundly although the score didn’t look it. Jahvid Best running up the middle early was a shocker and he seemed to get massive chunks of yardage early; nothing cheap about it at all. The Lions had ball possession and wore down the Tampa Bay defense. Their home field heat did them more harm than it did us early on. On the Scheffler score, he was surrounded by four defenders and not one of them even looked as though they tried to bat the ball away or were aware of him in their midst.

The score and the side-by-side stats looked a lot closer because Tampa Bay had to attack in the late third quarter and towards the end of the game. We were already in a defensive shell at that point playing prevent defense. Freeman & his cast of wide receivers had some pretty nicely inflated stats because of the last few drives- but they hardly looked as though they were really threatening. By the time the fourth quarter rolled around I didn’t fear their run game because it was inefficient and the only true target they had down field was Kellen Winslow. Earnest Graham caught a few more passes but they were small chunks of yardage in the middle and kept the game clock moving forward.

A few of the good things that I saw happening today for the Lions was Stafford’s poise. He gave up the one INT and then settled well into a groove. He was pretty sharp in the pocket and seemed to have some decent accuracy. His offensive line protected him well and they even provided some decent lanes for Best to run through. And getting Jahvid Best on swing routes or in the flat really showed off some of his acceleration skills. I thought we also protected the ball well when we did have it.

What upset me today was the absolutely stupid penalties by Peterman and Cherilus. I can live with the defensive line jumping offsides or just by being too aggressive but what these two guys did was just plain dumb. They were bush league at best trying to pile on or hitting after the play just doesn’t do the team any good. Cherilus’ penalty very well could’ve cost us the outright win and the timing couldn’t have been worse. I was happy to see Schwartz lighting into him right there on the spot.

On Special Teams, there was one blown play on that early kickoff but beyond that I thought the unit played well and our rookie punter, Ryan Donahue punted did well averaging 48.2 yards per punt. Stefan Logan didn’t do much with returns but he didn’t hurt us either.

Not a great dominant game but well enough to snare us a road win and a notch in the W column for now.

Great recap smog boy.

OT for a minute Do you think there should be a stat to separate a true INT from one that goes in and out the receivers hands. Like the wild pitch pass ball in baseball ?

Nice win by the Lions. Overall, I thought they played well with a few stupid penalties -- in previous years, I think they would have found a way to lose. Nice to see it go the other way for a refreshing change.

Bring on the Chiefs!

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    Great recap smog boy.

OT for a minute Do you think there should be a stat to separate a true INT from one that goes in and out the receivers hands. Like the wild pitch pass ball in baseball ?
    The one benefit from this would be to clarify QB stats but beyond that I can actually see it causing more issues than not. Who would be the arbiter that says that the wide receiver should've or could've caught the ball? Leaving grey areas like this up to football officials can be dicey at best.

I'd also like to think that at the end of the season somehow all of this evens itself out for a QB's stats. Some of the tosses out there were probably horrible and were rescued by amazingly talented receivers or they were bounces off of helmets, shoulder pads, opponents, and/ or jump balls- and yet they still count as "completions". Balance those off with these inopportune interceptions that were no fault of the QB and I think one still has a reasonable picture of how and what a quarterback is like. I don't think that there are extraordinarily more lucky QBs in the league nor do I think there are cursed QBs in the league.

I think they all find their level and while this additional stat might help a fan feel better about his own team's QB, it just might cause more trouble than it's worth by assigning someone the role to judge whether it was the QB or the WR's fault.

Quote Originally Posted by smogboy View Post
    I was happy to see Schwartz lighting into him right there on the spot.
    Cherilus needed his ass chewed immediately after that play. It very well could've cost us the game. And I'm glad Schwartz gave it to him right there and then as well as calling it out in the post gamer AND the day after. I think Schwartz called it correctly, it was "stupid" and "boneheaded". No need to candy coat it. If this team is going to turn the page on this losing culture, crap like Cherilus' penalty needs to be eliminated immediately. First we identify it, acknowledge it, and then vow never to do it again.

It wouldn't surprise me one iota if Cherilus does NOT start the next game. I can see Corey Hilliard starting in his spot and then maybe Cherilus will be inserted later, but I hope Schwartz sends the message this sh!t stops right here and now.

To some people's chagrin on sports talk radio, some people think Schwartz threw Cherilus under the bus by calling his penalty stupid and identifying the culprit. Bull crap. Cherilus was and should be held responsible for that play. Gosder threw himself under the bus. If he was any kind of man, he'd take responsibility for it, accept any sort of punishment doled out to him, and work to make sure it never happens again. I'd like to think that he owes his team mates a huge apology for that play and more importantly he owes his coaches a huge apology for nearly costing them the game.

A little stern discipline never hurt anyone in the long run. I'm glad to see Jim Schwartz take Cherilus to the back of the woodshed and lay a few into him. And let that be a lesson to anyone else that messes up on a play like that.

I agree with Thruster315 a hundred percent. It would be one thing if Cherilus was a dominant right tackle, but he's not. He's proven very little, has probably been seen as one of the weakest and questionable spots on the offensive line since he's been here. If he'd ever truly established himself as 'the guy' then it would be justifiable to give him a pass, but he hasn't done that. Bottom line, Cherilus owed all the coaches an apology, as well as every single guy on defense that had to go work their butts off that much harder, not to mention in the sweltering heat after being exhausted anyways, after he gave the Bucs time to run a bunch of extra plays.

Schwartz has every reason to be pissed and every justification to call him out. One of the main things Schwartz has done is worked really hard to get rid of the 'Forget other teams beating us, we'll just beat ourselves' mentality that was in place when he arrived. Maybe the argument is that he should do the berating behind closed doors, but I don't buy that. These guys are pros and he probably already has had many closed-door talks in the past, and obviously it hasn't gotten through. Cherilus has two options: 1) Sulk or 2) Learn, work, and make sure he never gets embarrassed like that again.

The underlying message to Gos is 'shape up or ship out' where this has to be the turning point for him. Unfortunately, he hasn't impressed me so I'm pretty sure we'll be looking for a new right tackle in the offseason. But, it'd be nice if he proved me wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
    The underlying message to Gos is 'shape up or ship out' where this has to be the turning point for him. Unfortunately, he hasn't impressed me so I'm pretty sure we'll be looking for a new right tackle in the offseason. But, it'd be nice if he proved me wrong.
    When he was out last season with his knee injury I didn't have a problem with the way Corey Hilliard played as his replacement. Cherilus' replacement might already be on this team already and he's no wet-behind-the-ears rookie that needs grooming either.

I do agree that this off season, the offensive line will be a priority in the draft and I think almost all of the positions will need to be looked at- either for replacement or for depth. So if there's some kickass O lineman that can play a multitude of positions, their draft value with the Lions is rising quickly.

2011 NFL Power Rankings: Week 2

The Lions are number 12!!!

http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings/_/year/2011/week/2

Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 19 ... LastLast