Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
Suh was talking the other day about how the Lion's beat the Packers, a team that is now in the Superbowl. Some on sports talk radio said that beating the Pack doesn't mean anything. I kinda think it does. That was a big game for the Packers that they needed to catch Chicago. Sure, Rogers only played half the game, but when he was in he was ineffective against the Lion's defense. And our best QB didn't play at all. I think beating a team that went to the Superbowl says a lot. Would like to hear my fellow Lion's fans thoughts on this.
Statistically for the Lions, it's just another W and in the big picture, it really didn't matter that much to won/loss record. We weren't going to the playoffs. But I think if they, the players feel as though it's a watershed moment for them, then so be it. So much of the game is also played on raw emotion so I can see how they feel as though it is important. It was a game the Lions weren't supposed to win [[weren't we like 12 point underdogs?) and somehow they managed to hang in there to win.

-Clinically, it didn't mean beans.

-Emotionally, it could be a building block to changing the losing mentality of this team- in the long run.

If Ndamukong Suh and his team mates can use that seminal moment as a rallying cry to dig deeper in future games, then it's got some value. It's valuable experience to the younger players in understanding the potential that they have. I think it also bonds the individual players to one another and more importantly at the time, I think it also gave them trust again in Jim Schwartz and his coaching staff. If memory serves me correctly- there was some doubt about Schwartz' ability, specifically with his time & game management. That Green Bay game probably brought back a lot of the credibility in Schwartz' message to the team.

As a fan, I loved it then and I'm still savoring some of that Kool-Aid weeks later. It made us believers again and we felt pretty darn good about it; I can only imagine what it did for them.

I'm seriously looking for more scraps and battles like that this upcoming year [[if the lock-out doesn't KO the season). I'm hoping that we'll be on the winning side of the ledger more so than not- but then as a loyal fan, I expect no less.