Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    A fine opening post, SB.
    Better yet- thank you all for a lively intelligent discussion about our team in Honolulu Blue & Silver!

With the Lions picking 13th, it might be a tad silly discussing who might be available by the time, but there are a ton of unrestricted free agents floating around.

One guy is Nnamdi Asomugha a All-Pro, shut-down cornerback from Oakland. He's 29, 6'2" 210 as has wings on his feet. By my lights, our biggest needs are at CB, followed by LB & OL.
    My only fear of getting him is his cost. What's he going to cost this team? I see he's a stud and in the prime of his career but this guy could also want a long term, guaranteed sort of money too- and are the Lions in a position to do that with so many high draft picks in the fold commanding top dollar. Between Johnson, Stafford and Suh- we've committed a lot of money to those guys already. We could be getting a little too top heavy with salary and without knowing what the salary cap is- it could be fiscally dangerous.

The top side to getting someone like that would be too obvious. He'd literally cut the field in half to defend. From what I've seen, he's also not afraid to stick his nose in there defend the run either. I wish we knew what the salary cap is going to be in the years to come.

It might be a long shot to get him, but it's worth a shot. Winning our last four games and even with the team's performance all season- the buzz around the league is that we're definitely an improved team on the rise. Maybe this is enough to entice Asomugha to take a second look here and cash might not be his only incentive.

The OL was fine against the pass last yr, but couldn't open a running lane all season. Part of that was due to turf toe for Jahved Best, but the other reason is we are getting old.

Should we be thinking about picking up a our missing pieces from the draft or the free agent market?
    I saw the offensive line improve on the run on two fronts. One was with just playing together more and gelling and the other was having a decisive running back hitting the hole faster. I thought the running game got remarkably better when we had Maurice Morris and Stefan Logan hitting the gap faster. I see Jahvid Best doing what most quick college backs try to do- and that's to dance around waiting for a better gap to appear. While that might work fine in college, this is the NFL where the guys on the line are much faster and have better technique at grabbing the ball carrier. When Best heals, he has to realize that he has to be that much more decisive when hitting that crease. Those openings are there and they close up quick. I remember Kevin Smith doing the same his rookie year too; they'd try to dance and juke and would get caught. Morris and Logan [[whom one could hardly see in the trees) made quicker attacks to that line and things happened.

I also think having a quick release QB like Stafford in the mix will also improve the offensive line's effectiveness as well. His speed in getting the ball out there with a two or three step drop will freeze up the oncoming defenders.

And credit Linehan for utilizing dink & dunk QBs like Hill & Stanton for spreading the ball out to the tight ends. Pettigrew, Scheffler and Heller were integral to the offensive line and back-up QBs' success.

As far as where to get depth? I wouldn't care if Mayhew/ Lewand/ Schwartz found them bagging groceries or wherever. I think they'll be opportunistic with the waiver wires [[Stefan Logan and Alphonso Smith were steals) and they'll draft the best player available. I'd like to see how this Jason Fox develops once he packs on some more NFL muscle. I personally like Corey Hilliard as the depth guy for Gosder Cherilus and the right tackle position too and he's only a fourth year player. We have some depth there but one can never have too much depth on the offensive line. I can easily see the Lions trying to get a offensive lineman to develop in the 4th or 5th round.

Also, I'm not understanding the issues related to this impending strike. Anyone have a non-biased source for understanding the issues involved?
    It's more of an owners' lockout. From what little I do understand of it all, it's that the owners want a rookie salary cap [[which blows my mind about Stanford's Andrew Luck deciding to stay in school for another year- that noble decision could've cost him tens of millions) and aren't happy with the current Collective Bargaining Agreement. There are SO many things on the table [[16 or 18 game season, TV revenue sharing, licensing revenues, etc.) that it's not just one issue. Both sides need to come to the table and hammer out a decision soon. And if they don't- it's not necessarily the owners & players that will hurt the most, but all of the peripheral businesses that are maintained because of their proximity to the NFL game.

I know our coach says that wins don't carry over to the next season, and thats true as far as the standings go. But having a winning attitude is big. My hope is that this carries over and no matter who puts on the Honolulu blue and silver jersey, they become a stud. Just like the Wings have been doing for years now.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    I know our coach says that wins don't carry over to the next season, and thats true as far as the standings go. But having a winning attitude is big. My hope is that this carries over and no matter who puts on the Honolulu blue and silver jersey, they become a stud. Just like the Wings have been doing for years now.
    I think the perception of winning will most definitely enhance a team's likelihood of attracting other free agents. For some of the veterans who've performed well and have never had a shot at winning it all, going to a team with the perception of winning it all might actually trump the amount of cash a lesser team might offer. That's what I personally hope that the Lions have done by winning their last few games. Sure, we lose out a few spots in the NFL Draft order but that cachet of being known as an up and coming team just might attract proven players as opposed to untested players.

The buzz around the league is that Schwartz is a bright guy and we've got a nucleus of solid young talent. If I were an older player that still has a few more years left and the situation doesn't look as though it's going to improve any time soon in the current situation, I'd seriously consider coming to Detroit. If I were an older defensive lineman, who wouldn't want to play alongside Suh? Nate Burleson came here and knew playing opposite Calvin Johnson, he was going to get his touches.

Our Lions aren't looking too shabby and for once might actually look like a destination to play again. We left the dance and still had some heads turning our way; it's not a bad feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by smogboy View Post
    For some of the veterans who've performed well and have never had a shot at winning it all, going to a team with the perception of winning it all might actually trump the amount of cash a lesser team might offer.
    You are refering to the Lions? Our Detroit Lions? Who would have thunk it.
    We arent there yet and I dont see to many guys with a couple years left deciding Detroits the place to play for a championship.
    Maybe after next year, we shall see