Hello, all. New forum participant here.

I have become interested in retracing my steps from when I joined the US Navy in Sept 1975. Unfortunately, 35 years has taken its toll on my memory!

The Book Cadillac was pretty easy to find. That morning, we walked from there to the AFEES [[Armed Forces Entry and Examination Station) building in downtown. Finding any references for that was a challenge, but I managed to find a document online that placed it at 426 Clinton St. The building there now is called the Tremonti building. Is this the same building? It looks like its either remodeled or the old building was razed and a new building constructed on the lot. Any info on this would be appreciated.

I know that I left town by Amtrak to Chicago and changed to a C-NW train for the trip up to Great Lakes. What I don't recall was whether I left via Michigan Central Station. For some reason, I remember Union Station in Chicago, but I don't remember where we caught the train in Detroit or how we got there from the AFEES building. Would there have been another Amtrak stop downtown in those days?