Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

The world was different when I was a kid... and I was a kid long after many DYes regulars, judging from many of the places and events that some of you remember.

The world has changed. Detroit was a viable city when some of you were kids. There was an entity called the USSR when you and I were kids. Many things -- from the cost of living, to the number of women staying home instead of working, to the tax brackets -- were different when you and I were kids.

Guess what has changed? Education. Education when you were a kid was different from education prior to the mid-20th century. At one time, secondary students were required to have at least an introductory reading knowledge of Latin. Many students also learned Greek. Prior to the turn of the twentieth century, Latin had been the medium of instruction in the West for two millennia; Greek, in many places, for at least two and a half millennia. The modern language movement displaced classical education, and there was a great hue and a cry. That was just one way that your education differed from that of your great-great grandparents [[if they had the chance to go to high school or college). Nevertheless, nearly a century after those changes, the world has gone on spinning on its axis. In many ways, it is a better world that it was in 1911.

I am a humanist. I believe that we can have a better world in 2111 than we have today. We look back at 1911 or 1951 nostalgically the way that we remember our lost loved ones [[I do this with my dad) -- we remember only the good and never the bad. I love hearing stories, but no, I don't want to go back in time. I am glad that we have penicillin, that people are rightfully wary of atomic and nuclear warfare, and that the basic equality of all people is assumed as general fact. This was NOT the case in those golden eras. There are some things that were grand, and some precious things that we have lost, but we have become better in many ways.

We are becoming better in ways that we cannot see right now, even as we are losing the world that so many of you knew. This is a new century, and while great wonders lie behind us, greatness also lies ahead. If you doubt that, remember that 100 years ago today, the world had two bloody and all-encompassing wars, along with other wars, genocides, and heartbreaks ahead of them that they could not foresee. But there were also many good things that happened in the 20th century. Those triumphs led to today's world, and you and me. I am glad that I am here now, and look forward to the challenges AND the triumphs ahead.

As far as the Great Toilet Paper Debate is concerned, this is one of those moments that I wish I were still working for DPS. I would tell you that I've bought both toilet paper and computers for my classroom, and that computers are a darn sight more expensive. Having a computer for every student if and when I wanted to use them [[not necessarily all the time) is something nearly inconceivable for most teachers that I know.

Maybe it's a shame, maybe you wish we all had a time machine, but some people on this thread [[DetroitTeacher, DetroitFats) are doing good work despite incredible odds. Because of them, there will be some DPS kids who make good, and maybe a laptop has a ripple effect on the trajectory of their lives. Maybe not, but it's a darn sight better than doing nothing. Give these teachers some credit, please.
    Last edited by English; January-09-11 at 03:02 AM.

Thanks, English! I'm trying to get my kids ready for college. Every college class I've had required us to use a computer for something. We are living in the information age and books just can't keep up with the information available like a computer can. Don't get me wrong, the folks at my local bookstore know me there...I live for books. I love the smell, the feel, and the feeling I get snuggled up on the couch while I'm reading a printed book [[I don't do Kindles). I do make my kids read actual books. Computers will enhance my classroom. It's not to replace books or basic skills, it will merely enhance things. It's not going to teach kids how to do math or read. It will allow for a wealth of information to be at their fingertips. Yes, they need to know what is and how to find valid information and learn how to weed out the crap. That's my job...to teach them how to do that. They have to learn to nativigate the web. Right now, most of my kids think to look something up about the Detroit Riots they should punch in www.detroitriots.com instead of doing a broad search to find more info. Sure, they know how to text, how to get on Facebook and Twitter. They don't know how to find the information they need to discover topics that interest them. They aren't as tech savvy as we like to think. I want to open up new worlds to them. Most of my kids haven't been anywhere except the Metro Detroit area [[if that) and have very limited knowledge about other cultures, other places. They don't talk to kids from anywhere but their own neighborhoods. When they get to college, it's a shock to them. They have very limited views. If I have computers we can blog about literature, we can talk to other folks blogging about literature, they can see a whole different world than their own and talk to kids who are different than they are. We can video conference with other kids who are reading the same things we are...I want to give my kids the world and with computers I can at least try.

My kids don't have the same things we had when we were kids. They don't have parents in the homes, they don't have neighborhood friends that they can call out to play, they don't have vacations to new places [[or a staycation to the cider mill or the local amusement park), they don't have a safe front porch on which to sit, they don't have a lot. What they do have is a lot of don't have.

I remember when I was in school and was able to use a calculator. My mom was aghast! She didn't get to use a calculator [[she didn't even know they existed in the hand held variety). She didn't understand why I was able to have one. I think that is what is going on here. Yeah, we did just fine without computers and today's kids can do it, too. Well, times have changed.

Yeah, I teach graphic design at a suburban community college from time to time and the more exposure incoming students have of any computers, even non-related graphics software like MS Word makes my job easier.
    Quote Originally Posted by DetroitTeacher View Post
    Maxx: I couldn't agree more. I teach 11th grade and am trying to prepare them for college/work. Computers are a must for my kids.

Well stated! The job of a secondary education teacher in the urban setting is a rough one and working for DPS is already so front-loaded with expectation of failure. Kudo's to those who in engaged despite the odds.
    Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    ...Maybe it's a shame, maybe you wish we all had a time machine, but some people on this thread [[DetroitTeacher, DetroitFats) are doing good work despite incredible odds. Because of them, there will be some DPS kids who make good, and maybe a laptop has a ripple effect on the trajectory of their lives. Maybe not, but it's a darn sight better than doing nothing. Give these teachers some credit, please.

Thanks Glenfield for your clarification of things. I guess if some folks would have read the entire thread, they would have seen that I agreed that the cash could have been better spent on other things. But...it is what it is. I am trying to explain the advantages of the netbooks and am getting told that I am doing my kids a dis-service by letting a kid who's blind use a computer to do his work. Shit, that's all the kid has. Ever try to write and read when you can't see? It's a bit difficult. If this tool will help the kid [[who is extremely bright) learn, then I say I'm all for it.
    Your blind student should have some technology available to him/her made for blind students.

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu View Post
    When I was a kid we didn't have laptops. Yet somehow we put a man on the moon. Maybe the money would have been better spent on rolls of toilet paper.
    Some very intelligent and highly-educated physicists put men on the moon. Do tell us your role. Computers can enlarge children's outlook by connecting them to the rest of the world. The internet opens up all the libraries of the world to them. And it allows teachers to exchange info. It can be a great learning tool.

Maxx: I couldn't agree more. I teach 11th grade and am trying to prepare them for college/work. Computers are a must for my kids.
    Thanks for all your work.

Quote Originally Posted by maxx View Post
    Your blind student should have some technology available to him/her made for blind students.
    He does. He has a computer program that allows the computer to read him the text he types in and that can read text to him. I also upload audio versions of the literature for him on my Bb sight. His mom helps him, too. He's really adapting quite well and is smart as a whip. In class, the other kids like to help him out so he works in teams or groups with activities [[the kids read to him what is on any handouts, etc). I also upload my tests, in document format, for him and his computer "reads" them to him. The only complaint he has is that he wishes the voice on the computer sounded more human.

He also has a one-on-one aide who helps him. He's pretty new to the whole not seeing concept. He has a cane and can navigate the halls pretty well. I'm not sure what type of software he has for math and the sciences. I think his aide helps him in those classes [[for the life of me, I can't fathom having to do geometry or quadratic equations without my sight...but he is exceptional in those classes). His aide is trying to phase herself out and make him more independent. She rarely comes to my class with him [[the girls are gaga for him and trip over themselves trying to help him and he eats it up, even though he really doesn't need too much help). I told him he should go to law school since he can debate just about anything and he has some darn good supports for his side. He also has a stellar memory and recall just about anything. Overall, I'd say his adaptive technology is really helping him to shine in the classroom, whereas without it he'd be sitting in a self contained class somewhere not living up to his true potential.
    Last edited by DetroitTeacher; January-09-11 at 12:01 PM.

Detroit Teacher:
    You mentioned that the new laptop was the only technology the blind student had. I have seen blind students using devices that enable them to take notes and write papers. I'm glad that he is getting all the support he needs. If he is "new to the whole not seeing concept, I'd think he'd have some emotional issues.

The internet is the primary tool for research in the engineering and science community. Years ago, when we did research with the antiquated paper classification based systems, it would have taken me days to get the article linked below that I found in about 45 seconds.

http://http://www.sae.org/mags/aei/9192/

http://www.sae.org/mags/aei/9192/

It is an interesting article on the new Pentastar V6.

In my line of work, it is important for me to be versed in the structural differences between the use of a planetary gearset in the Prius vs the Volt. Voltec is so new that there is no "book" to help me. I am able to draw both systems on paper based on research I did on the internet.

Text searching with key words and operators is a very powerful way to find information quickly.

The article linked above can be quickly attached to my electronic report as a pdf. Relevant text in the article can be cut and pasted in my report. Time is money.
    Last edited by Pickford-Bentler; January-09-11 at 02:04 PM.

Detroit Teacher:
    You mentioned that the new laptop was the only technology the blind student had. I have seen blind students using devices that enable them to take notes and write papers. I'm glad that he is getting all the support he needs. If he is "new to the whole not seeing concept, I'd think he'd have some emotional issues.
    He takes notes by using a tape recorder [[it's his preference) or his laptop. He also writes papers using his laptop. He uses headphones with his laptop so as to not disturb others because the thing reads what he types when he presses a button. It's the darndest thing...he also may have more technology that he uses for other classes but he doesn't bring it to my class. He has a central room in which he keeps all his stuff [[it's akin to a resource room, but his stuff is safe there because it's locked up and someone is in the room at all times). My "that's all he has" comment way above was only meant to show that the kid needs technology since he can't see, he doesn't know Braille and I doubt he'll learn. He says he can "read" online. He has access to all sorts of software that reads him just about anything. I know he CAN read because of the way he writes. Non-readers can't write like this kid can. He was a voracious reader before the accident, according to his mom, and still listens to books on tape and on the net.

I am astounded he doesn't have the issues that I think most folks would have losing their sight in their teens. He does see the social worker on a regular basis and everyone in the school is very accomodating to his needs. The kids don't treat him any differently than they would a sighted kid. I have to say, he's a genuinely nice kid and he's well liked by staff and students because of that. He has a great support system in, and out of, school
    Last edited by DetroitTeacher; January-09-11 at 05:31 PM.

citylover Guest

Default there is this

pardon the way it is I could not link the piece any other way

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...ient=firefox-a

Pingu Guest

Some very intelligent and highly-educated physicists put men on the moon. Do tell us your role.
    It was a long time ago. We were over at some friends of my parents. We always had to play outside way late because these people used to watch Jackie Gleason and my mom thought he was "smutty". Anyhow we all get called inside and there it is: the first man on the moon, live.

It was a long time ago. We were over at some friends of my parents. We always had to play outside way late because these people used to watch Jackie Gleason and my mom thought he was "smutty". Anyhow we all get called inside and there it is: the first man on the moon, live.
    Yep, and you saw it live because someone, somewhere was using technology. You used technology to watch it live. Those NASA guys had computers! Believe It or Not. Don't believe me yet? Here's a link http://www.abc.net.au/science/moon/computer.htm and another, in case you don't trust anyone other than NASA http://www.nasa.gov/centers/dryden/h...Apollo_11.html
    Last edited by DetroitTeacher; January-09-11 at 05:56 PM.

Pingu Guest

Yep, and you saw it live because someone, somewhere was using technology. You used technology to watch it live. Those NASA guys had computers! Believe It or Not. Don't believe me yet? Here's the link http://www.abc.net.au/science/moon/computer.htm
    So? You make one cellphone call today and you've used more digital technology than the first twenty years of both the US and Soviet space programs combined. Each time one of these kids plays a video game he's accomplished the digital technological equivalent of putting a billion men on the moon.

Getting kids to fart around with keyboards and joysticks is not a big deal. Getting them to think in a creative, insightful, motivated, and disciplined manner is another thing entirely. We used to call this teaching.

Getting kids to fart around with keyboards and joysticks is not a big deal. Getting them to think in a creative, insightful, motivated, and disciplined manner is another thing entirely. We used to call this teaching.
    I can do all that without a computer...been doing it for years. Computers and technology are another tool I can use to assist me in doing that. Kids must have the technology base in order to compete in college and the world of work. The computers are a tool, much like a chalkboard and books. It doesn't replace books, mind you, but it can put MORE books and information at our fingertips. Books no one has the money to buy [[not even with 49 million bucks).

Pingu Guest

I can do all that without a computer...been doing it for years. Computers and technology are another tool I can use to assist me in doing that. Kids must have the technology base in order to compete in college and the world of work. The computers are a tool, much like a chalkboard and books. It doesn't replace books, mind you, but it can put MORE books and information at our fingertips. Books no one has the money to buy [[not even with 49 million bucks).
    OK, sounds good. I've lined my pockets with millions over the years thanks to the opportunities offered by the digital world. But reality is analog, and it was analog thinking that defeated the fascists in WWII. It was analog thinking that put a man on the moon.

It was analog thinking that made DPS one of many great success stories as the city enjoyed its ascendency. You're right, the laptops are a tool, and honestly I don't begrudge these 40000 kids their gifts. I think what's got people torqued is that here's all this tax money falling from the sky, and where does it go? Laptops!

I don't mean to sound like a dork, and I'm a "put your money where you mouth is" kind of guy, but I would have rather seen this money go to organize some kind of summer school mentorship program with real-live experienced industrial dickweeds like myself.

Pingu: No one here said the money could not have been better spent on something else. The money was earmarked for technology [[which DPS desperately needs, among other things). Your point was taken [[at least by me) that the kids don't need technology, that generations before got along without it and these kids don't need it, either. At least that's what I read into your posts. I am merely saying that the kids really do need it if they want to compete with their counterparts from other districts [[and countries) in the world of work and they really, really need it if they want to be successful in college. I don't know of one occupation that doesn't use technology [[even the burger flippers use it). The kids need to be shown how to use that technology and become well versed in it if they want to succeed in today's society. They know how to use what they want to use but lack the basic technology skills to do basic research, create a spreadsheet, create charts and graphs on the computer, create anything other than a Facebook page, and so on. Most don't even know how to use email in a professional manner. I couldn't tell you how many of my kids have email addresses like bootyshaker94@whatever.com. They need to be allowed to create, examine, discover, and have the basic computer knowledge that other kids have. Today's society demands it. For instance, in my class the kids will be required to keep a blog about the literature. They'll have to use proper grammar, punctuation, sentence structure, etc. This will help them with their writing skills. In science, they will have to create charts and graphs to go with experiments. It's real world knowledge that we'll be teaching them. Real world knowledge that keeps up with today's demands...not those of 1900s-80s, when we were growing up.

When pcs first came out and the schools were hot to get one in every classroom, I didn't see the excitement. They just seemed like electronic books. But with the internet and all the software available today, computers are amazing tools. Of course a lot of kids just want to play games, so you have to watch what they're doing online.

Excellent comment. Nothing is wrong with exposing the kids to new technology, but they still need to master the fundamentals. Will kids ever learn their times tables if we allow 3rd graders to have a calculator on their desk? My guess would be "no".

Same concept with all the "research" you can do on the internet. I guess depending on its purpose, that could be fine. But isn't there also value in teaching kids to go to the library and spend lots of time obtaining information from legitmate educational / industry references?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevgoblue View Post
    Excellent comment. Nothing is wrong with exposing the kids to new technology, but they still need to master the fundamentals. Will kids ever learn their times tables if we allow 3rd graders to have a calculator on their desk? My guess would be "no".

Same concept with all the "research" you can do on the internet. I guess depending on its purpose, that could be fine. But isn't there also value in teaching kids to go to the library and spend lots of time obtaining information from legitmate educational / industry references?
    +1 on Kev's post about teaching fundamentals. I also agree with the DTeacher and English's extensive discussion that technology is an asset to be used to expand teaching options and enhance the classroom experience. but perhaps what I'm missing...and maybe what Dnerd is reacting to...is any discussion about what happens 2-3 years from now when every single one of those laptops and desktops are completely obsolete? I mean I have a lap top that was pretty state of the art about 4 years ago. My 13 yr old cousin looked at it the other day like it was relic from the stone age. Various of you who are in the trenches in DPS have commented on this thread about lack of books, supplies and basic items such as toilet paper. I understand this was an earmark and must be spent on certain things... but what is the next step to ensure the benefit of having the technology is not lost by failing to keep up? If DPS can't manage to keep text books up to date and available to all students, what is to happen to 40,000 computers?

I wasn't really reacting to the obsolescence. It's an interesting point, though.

So DPS shouldn't buy any technology because it will become obsolete?

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6