Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

The hotel is open. Could just be rebranding.

Quote Originally Posted by fryar View Post
    LOL, the camera in her room. Looks more like a motion detector to shut off the lights, if you ask me.
    I was thinking smoke alarm, Funny if it was a mothin sensor and she sat there in the dark all weekend, looking at her crappy view, tee hee

It still comes up on hotels.com, at $112 per night, second-lowest only to the Leland at $89 [[which I have only seen some rather dilapidated common areas of). But the pictures online of the room don't seem so bad.

I hope they become a Rodeway Inn, so friends&family can visit me for cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by n7hn View Post
    I was thinking smoke alarm, Funny if it was a mothin sensor and she sat there in the dark all weekend, looking at her crappy view, tee hee
    LOL, serves her right.

Sounds like they lost their branding with Holiday Inn more than anything else. From what I remember, they had trouble keeping Big City open also. Timing is horrendous with press and media flying in for NAIAS. If they can't get back open as independent in a couple of days, that's a heavy chunk of change out the window. No Ponchartrain, Holiday Inn or Omni...

A Wall Street Journal article earlier this month said Holiday Inn's "sweeping upgrade"of its properties to imrpove its brand includes stripping its name from 700 franchisees, and "cutting loose hotels that are part of its storied past." The article said a lot of properties can't afford the average $150,000 to $200,000 it takes to upgrade their property.

i stayed there a couple nights last year and it is was in the midst of a complete overhaul. The room I was in had been completely redone - new carpet, fixtures, furniture, etc.

DetroitDad Guest

Default Rooftop Pool

The top floor/roof of this building contains a swimming pool.

While I liked the building, I would never stay here again, as the service was horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post
    Isn't this one of Ferchill's developments? Whatever is going on, someone will pick that place up if the Holiday Inn goes under, and they'll just change the brand name. The building is totally new. On second thought, I wouldn't mind seeing it developed into apartments. A bunch of studios would be nice.
    Last edited by DetroitDad; January-04-11 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Picture Added

On would certainly hope they could find a way to stay open during NAIAS, at least.

LOL, the camera in her room. Looks more like a motion detector to shut off the lights, if you ask me.
    Yeah, unfortunately, the former view of the Lafayette building I'm sure just confirmed people's perceptions of the city.

The rooms look a bit worn....like they are stuck in 1998, but nothing that can't be fixed. Another round of renovations could really help the place.

My parents' friend is a Holiday Inn franchisee and was able to stay there for free. She told us a while back that it wasn't going to be a Holiday inn anymore and also stopped staying there.

Weird. A "totally new" building, and they couldn't meet corporate standards?
    Its not a 'new' building. It was built in the early 60's as a HoJo, became the mariners inn for most of the 70's, the 80's it was a Day's Inn, in the 90's it was bought by some cult and became the 'Heaven on Earth Inn", then the Best Western, finally the Holiday Inn Express.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    It could make it as a Best Western or Ramada maybe. [[Although when I think downtown Ramada I think Leland - yikes!).
    It was a Best Western back in the 90s, that didn't work out either.

Ooooh, I hope the cult comes back. Heaven on Earth - me likey!

Cult Inn ,,, Free Kool-aid Breakfast

Embassy Suites would be nice!

The hotel was closed for a number of years after it was the Heaven on Earth Inn. I want to say it was closed at least five years from maybe 1994 to 1999. Then it was remodeled and reopened as a Best Western for a couple of years, was briefly named The Ambassador Hotel after it stopped being a Best Western then was remodeled again into a HI Express maybe circa 2002?

lincoln8740 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Hardhat View Post
    The article said a lot of properties can't afford the average $150,000 to $200,000 it takes to upgrade their property.
    That number is way way way off. A PIP is usually around 700k to 1 million

I'd like to see the Hampton Inn come to downtown Detroit and take over that building. They have an excellent property in downtown Cleveland that is reasonably priced and in a great location. I use when I am travel there.

I agree but that would require millions in upgrades.

I can more see this as a Comfort Inn, Quality Inn, Econolodge, Best Western, Days Inn, Ramada Inn, etc if they don't do many improvements.

I say, a downtown Rodeway Inn! They're the cheapest! And we'll finally measure up to San Francisco in one important way!

I say, a downtown Rodeway Inn! They're the cheapest! And we'll finally measure up to San Francisco in one important way!
    Nah how about a Motel 6 or Red Roof?

There is a Motel 6 in san diego thats pretty great for the money [[under $50) . I go there cuz they allow dogs. Simple rooms, no musty carpet [[cheap vinyl, but CLEAN), small booth and table, good location.. I think it would suit that property pretty well.
    http://www.petswelcome.com/cgi-bin/m6frame.pl

What about Travelodge and Red Carpet Inn. They both have access to Priceline and Hotwire, but also vie for the cheapest, I think.....

i stayed there one night. 19 november 1985...

it was the contract housing for the military. that was the night before the day i left for the Air Force. it was the Mariner and in very very bad shape...

ive got a neighbor who is some sort of regional rep or boss for HI. we had one in town that she said didnt want to pay the annual [[or whatever the time frame is) franchise fee because they could join quality inn or budget inn [[i dont remember which) for much cheaper. of course their corporate support isnt what HI has so she just kind of laughed at their 'poor' business sense...

DetroitDad Guest

So, with the Ramada Leland going all apartments, this news with the Holiday Inn, and the closing of the Riverfront Hotel, does that mean we have no more discount hotels in our CBD?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast